Author Topic: Great Noseriding Boards on the Slightly Shorter Side?  (Read 2384 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Great Noseriding Boards on the Slightly Shorter Side?
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:36:02 PM »
Curious as to what SUP surfers have found out there as related to the subject line....

My next board is most likely an Allwave 9'5....nose ride thoughts on this one and others in the length range?
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

Re: Great Noseriding Boards on the Slightly Shorter Side?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:15:12 PM »
I had the first generation 9'6 Allwave... great board, and it nose rides well.

I graduated to the 8'10 Allwave and funny as it sounds... it was the best noserider I have ever owned.
I am a good enough noserider... but have never been a "tip"rider.... that said....
I hung a solid 10 on two waves one day on my 8'10.... full on, hang over the nose 10's and walked it off after a lengthy stay. I was amazed how solid it was on the nose.

I don't know if the newer shape shares that little spark, but Allwaves are pretty good on the nose.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
Creek:  VERY COOL!  Any footage (video or still) of any of your adventures to the bow?  I think even cheater 5's are super cool!! 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
Creek:  I just found your 10'6" review....(didn't know it was under the longboard thread).....I got a glimpse of a little bit of upfront work there.  Nice!!!  Welcome others/more!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
Whatz^

Here are some stills of noserides (not "tip" rides) I pulled off different review vids I have made, on a wide range of boards

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
I just got toes over on my new 7'6" Mallet a couple of days ago without even cross stepping...piece of cake not having to move an extra 3'...;-)
I used to get "cheater 5's" on a 5'10" short board...so, if you know how to nose ride...it should come natural...

I think my 8'11" Hammer is the best nose riding SUP that I have ever been on...we've heard it from a score of other people , too...
Especially, when you consider that we are riding it on the nose with a set of small quad fins and a 2.25" StubNub...

It accelerates as you approach the nose...really speeds up...it doesn't bog down and push water as some so-called "nose riders" have a tendency to do...simply, look at the water out in front of some nose ride pics...it shouldn't be getting squeezed, or displaced out in front of the board causing turbulence...just because a board has a great big wide nose...that, in and of itself, doesn't make it a "nose rider"...at least not a good or efficient one...;-)

IMO, for a board to nose ride with little effort, there needs to be lift in the nose (concave)...a fast and efficient rocker line...and, just as importantly the tail has to stick to the water...and, not just by planting a big draggy fin under it...of course, there are other hydrodynamic design principles that help as well...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal