Author Topic: Ouch  (Read 2771 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Ouch
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
Tweaked my damn shoulder--but not the left one I had surgery on last year--the right one. I paddled down to the boneyard with Boyum and RR--Kanaha was silly crowded with some pretty big set waves that usually thin the crowd more, but it's Saturday. The Boneyard has two good places to take off in the bowl, but with Bill and RR there were about eight or ten people in there. I decided to stay east of the bowl and try some of the big guys that were rolling in every so often. I caught a couple rights, but pulled out early when they looked like they were going to get weird in the bowl. So I decided to try a left on one of the bigger set waves, and got creamed in the closeout. The shoulder hurt a but--must have pulled it somehow. Not bad, but I figured I'd go back to Kanaha and see if the paddle back loosened it up. It did, but a nice set wave came along, I was the only person outside enough to take it, so I did, but on the inside it was a mess. I was cutting through okay, but a SUP guy bailed his board and kicked it right in front of me. I cut back hard to avoid it, but I fell clumsily over the high side, and this time I really gave the already weakened shoulder a hard yank.

It hurt paddling in, but loosened up a bit by the time I got to the beach. I don't think I tore much, but it's going to take a while to recover. Too bad, supposed to be DOH tomorrow and it's superbowl. But I'm probably out for a few days. There's also a race tomorrow, but the surf would have taken priority.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ouch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
No crowd issue at Boneyards at all.  Everyone left and it was just Shep, Randy and me.  Saw you turn around and head back,  We got some good ones.  Then we bailed back to lowers on our way in.  I snagged a great wave and Randy another right behind mine.  But he went down and somehow cut the outside edge of his foot about 4 inches long and deep.  Paddled in with him and he's waiting at the ER right now for the sew job. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
I ended up at lowers around 9. I saw Boyum get a big outside set wave that turned to mostly mushy slop on the inside. I was paddling out at the time, down towards lower lowers. Looked like he was done after that, he paddled off to the east kneeling on his board. I figured he must've been out for hours by the time I got there.

I got some fun waves too but it was crowded and kind of sloppy, I thought. The interval seemed short which made getting back out a workout that included some hula dancing over lots of white water. I stuck it out long enough for about 6 fun ones and then I'd had enough. It was a little tough to position yourself and I knew I was going to get it sooner or later. On the way in, I saw Kathy riding a really long right that was over one and a half Kathies high. She'd started right at the peak and worked it for a long way. Almost made me want to go back out but I as I watched her, I realized that she was slaloming through bobbing people on the inside and that there were many bodies in the water. Too many. Saturday.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder. Glad I played no role this time. Hopefully, it's just a little tweaked and you'll be back tomorrow. There is no race tomorrow, it's February 7, so we have a week. And, it's the one with the nasty shallow reef finish at Olowalu where you left some skin last year!~

I checked the harbor, sometimes when lowers is sloppy, it cleans up. But the swell wasn't getting in there and there were 10 or so SUS'ers vying for double over ankle mackers. Wish there was something hitting the west side but I think it's flat as a pancake over there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:10:05 PM by covesurfer »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about RR's foot! That is a bummer!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »
I saw Randy's pics on facebook. Ouch indeed.  Tough day all around. We're probably both out for about the same amount of time. I figured the shoulder would feel a lot better today, but not so much. Got to rest this one I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205912345195444&set=a.10201511295531953.1073741831.1463505684&type=1&theater
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
Heard young Mo Freitas got seriously injured as well at big Haleiwa yesterday.  These long periods of constant swell can take their toll.  Fortunately in that concern we're all getting a break today... unless the wind comes up on the southside.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »
Get well bro.

Saw the pics of RR's foot....yuck!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
I'm exercising the heck out of it, and it's coming along well. The surprising thing is how weak my left arm is for everything but paddling. I thought it was getting better, but doing the exercises on my right prompted me to do them for the left as well, and it's weak for everything but pulling a paddle. No surprise really, I just didn't realize how little strength I regained. Working on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal