Author Topic: Inside shelter near Cronulla aka Baysurf  (Read 2091 times)

yowiesup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Inside shelter near Cronulla aka Baysurf
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:00:10 PM »
A big swell hit Sydney making the beaches unsurfable for a SUP.....but thankfully we have a special spot that lets you get a session in safe water. Only waist to shoulder high on the face but sometimes the takeoff seems bigger especially when trying to control a 14 foot board.

Starboard 9'5 WP
Starboard 10'5 WP
Laird Bark 14' Pro Elite

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Inside shelter near Cronulla aka Baysurf
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
Thanks for the video.  Good to see someone on the Laird Bark have fun in the waves.  What Fin do you have on it?  I have a Gladiator and it is great for paddling straight but not so much for surf.  I imagine the stock fin surfs better.

yowiesup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:46:58 PM »
Thanks for the video.  Good to see someone on the Laird Bark have fun in the waves.  What Fin do you have on it?  I have a Gladiator and it is great for paddling straight but not so much for surf.  I imagine the stock fin surfs better.
Ta md, yeh its the stock Bark fin that came with the board. I gather you cant get these boards anymore but I was told the front half is Bark influence and the back half Laird with waves in mind. I really like the board for ability to pick up a wave and smooth turning on the face. Working the board from back to mid keeps you thinking how to get the most out of the wave.
Starboard 9'5 WP
Starboard 10'5 WP
Laird Bark 14' Pro Elite

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
That's looks like so much fun!!  A peak way out there in the middle of bay and then
shooting it with such a glide machine.  Super stoked to imagine how relaxed it looks out there.

Is that a spot that only breaks when the ocean swell is big?

yowiesup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »
That's looks like so much fun!!  A peak way out there in the middle of bay and then
shooting it with such a glide machine.  Super stoked to imagine how relaxed it looks out there.

Is that a spot that only breaks when the ocean swell is big?

Thanks SurfinJ. It is unique. Breaks most days near one particular channel marker on low tide for hour either side. Midweek small swell and often you can be alone.
The last 2 waves on the vid were on a marker even further east in the bay another 400 metres which only breaks when more swell. Paddled out there as the standard break was starting to get crowded with some beginners kneeling right at a sucky drop on the takeoff and didnt wantto clean them up on the 14footer.
The next day a Saturday when it was very crowded took out my 9'5 SB so I could spin around easier in the lineup. Worked well and managed to avoid being hit by other craft as it was a bit of a zoo with swell running and kayaks, surf boats , mals and SUPs of various abilities. Later paddled further south in the bay away from crowds and got even more waves but a bit less powerful as it was a southerly swell.
The Friday day of video was best.
Starboard 9'5 WP
Starboard 10'5 WP
Laird Bark 14' Pro Elite

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal