Author Topic: amazing activity for core workout as good as SUP  (Read 6305 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
amazing activity for core workout as good as SUP
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »
I found another activity which gives you an amazing core workout, but isn't as much fun…

shoveling snow
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: amazing activity for core workout as good as SUP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »
So you finally made it to the front door! Saw the post on FB...contrast is pretty stark. Not too sure about your timing but welcome back to the great white north.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I found another activity which gives you an amazing core workout, but isn't as much fun…

shoveling snow

If your back doesn't go into spasm.  Shoveling snow or cement is horrific.  Don't you have one of those rotor tillers that chew it up and spit it out?

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:05 AM »
ya Stoney kind of a rude welcome home.  a paddle yesterday and a snow shovel today.  Hope to get some snowboarding in to take advantage of all this snow.

Headmount, we aren't usually in Maine in the winter, living between Maine and Caribbean..still learning about how to deal with this weather.  those snow blowers look interesting but not sure they'd help with these steps..
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
Don
 Just watched the weather. We are expecting possibly another foot of snow Sunday for the South Shore. If you are having trouble learning how to deal with this type of weather , let me give you some advice. Purchase a nice, quality hat. It will keep you warm and toasty as  you go outside and pay the dude that shovels your snow for you ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
When you think snowblowers, remember Fargo, though that was actually a chipper.

When I was a kid I carried mortar for a crew building those block facings under highway overpasses. Anything involving a shovel makes my back twinge. At least I don't have those ulcers on my leg anymore from the wet buckets rubbing my legs with alkaline water. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:28:51 AM »
I'm thinking of buyimg a flame thrower and just melting all the snow away

P of 8. Good suggestion on the warm hat.  Now finding some kid who wants to actually do some physical work to earn money will be a harder task
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:53 AM »
Just don't forget to "bend zee knees", Don! With more snow on the way and arctic conditions for the next week, it's gonna be downright nasty around here. Good luck with your cross training!

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Hey Rookie...
No wonder you struggled.  You need to get a real shovel.  What are you doing in that picture, planting a garden??   ::)

Best snow shovel around is not a snow shovel.  It's this one.  Called a coal shovel, or grain shovel, or poly scoop.
(Or more properly, the spook scoop.)

It holds a lot more snow than snow shovels -- or that beach shovel sitting on your front step.  And the built-in bottom rocker allows you to push it forward, then tip backward and slide it back along the ground w/o lifting.  Since the lip isn't metal, it doesn't get hung up on rocks or concrete, either.  And the shovel doesn't twist in your hand as you lift a heavy load. 

Makes shoveling a LOT faster, and much more efficient.  Dare I say fun.
Hard to find -- check your local HD or maybe Agway.  And yes, a good hat ain't a bad idea either.  ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »
ha ha  good suggestion Spookini, how about you driving up to Maine to demonstrate?…

I prefer a smaller shovel a la a smaller blade on a paddle. I get a quicker shoveling cadence and the weight of the snow not as heavy in a smaller shovel.

I just spent 11/2 hrs shoveling off the deck.   I have a couple of Adirondack chairs in my yard somewhere but haven't been able to find them yet

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:43:39 PM »
I actually like shoveling. I've tried all kinds of shovels, even the grain shovel Spook. Tractor Supply sells em right down the street. Only works if its real lite snow. I like a longer handle too. I just bought a shovel last night...had to go shovel a path to the door of my father-in-laws house. Realtor showing it today. I can't find the one I bought but it was awesome. Found it at Ames. Very light, good sized blade with wings on the side, great handle, I think the brand is Ke Nalu...oh wait....that's another thread..... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »
hahaaa... spooky is right... light weight aluminum coal shovels are the best.... traditional "snow shovels" are the stupidest design on the planet.

he's the real answer to the opportunity of an significant snowstorm

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:36:26 PM »
Creek thanks for that post. You hit the nail on the head.  Kids today don't have any interest in earning a buck or two to break a sweat.  When I was a kid if I got punished, I'd be sent inside  to my room.  These days kids should be sent outside , away from all their gadgets
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »
This is turning into a thread for snow-shoveling aficionados  :D..

Think you're wrong Bob.. the longer shaft on most shovels means you're more likely to strain your back.  IMO.  The short length of the coal shovel is perfect.  And you can toss your load ( ???) quicker, w/ less wasted motion.  Wet heavy snow t'aint no problem.  Better work out.  I'm like "Mike Mulligan and his Amazing Steam Shovel" when it snows...  I like to race the snowblowers.  :)

Creek, they make them in poly/ABS plastic nowadays. 
I know that's confusing.  For a guy who still looks for the "leaded" pump at the gas station..  ;)

https://youtu.be/CsrLHP26zvk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:13:44 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 08:59:02 PM »
"The short length of the coal shovel is perfect." From a guy that is a foot shorter than me..... :D. I had to grin at your race the snowblowers comment. I used to pace myself against my neighbors when I was young and strong, no contest. I did like a big heavy duty blade. I'm kinda OCD about snow shoveling...weird now that I really think of it. Always had to have the edges vertical and squared off and take some strange pleasure in seeing how big a block of snow I could get with each bite. This storm sucked with all the crap going on with my neck and arms, couldn't shovel for shit.

Sad but true about kids shoveling. I know I made a lot of money for a kid back in the day. We lived in Allston so driveways were spaced about 50-60 feet and ran to the back of the house, often to a two or 3 car garage. Lots of older folks living in the homes. My friends and I would do 20 houses in a day. Crazy money for a few kids.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:03:41 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal