Author Topic: Recording Sessions w/ a GoPro  (Read 18976 times)

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recording Sessions w/ a GoPro
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 04:31:20 PM »
dingfix....nice!

JayISC and others:  Got some (mouth) footage to share?  Interested in seeing from this angle.  Thx!

This is all mouth mount footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWmR7Bx2Wqk

NOTE:  This is also without RainX
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:43:36 PM by JayInSoCal »
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
Really helps, Creek--been thinking through a setup myself as the whales are coming back.  Nose-mounted shots get old quickly.  You do get a better perspective of things from the mouth, but as most of my stuff will be on distance paddles I do wonder how much it'll bug my breathing.

Bulky, I made my own out of thermo mold plastic.  I have had several iterations, improving on problems as I discover them.  One of them was breathing.  Currently I have it so that the plastic is only molded around my bottom teeth.  This actually allows the camera to remain rested on my bottom teeth (think a custom molded mouth guard on only the bottom).  I can breathe and talk with the camera in place.  I don't think you would want to wear it for a an entire distance paddle, but I keep it attached to a lanyard and pop it in when I want to use it.  I usually keep it in for the ride and the paddle out through the whitewash. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
JayISC:  SWEET!!!!!!!!  VERY VERY nice!! 

Creek:  WICKED PISSA!!!!!!  I like the narrating.....GOSH, I miss home (Mass boy born and raised).

I think the best of all worlds is to have a friend with a camera who loves to shoot footage!!!!

All VERY VERY helpful!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »
Excellent video Creek!

You might have a future in "reality sports t.v."

Great editing and selection of music.

It seems the "mouth mount" is best for shooting other surfers surfing, etc.

Really enjoyed it.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
I enjoyed that one as well Creek, even with the blobs. You captured the scene really well. There was a lot going on with the sky and the water and the other surfers. The board mount worked okay in that one and switching to mouth mount added another perspective. I guess a lot of making a good video is in the editing as well as where you point the camera and using different angles.

Jays vid was also well done.

I'm liking the mouth mount perspectives. This is making me want to get a cam.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:34:41 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »
I agree that the POV of the mouth mount is fabulous, but I am the only one that finds this mount dangerous? It seems like a great way to rearrange your smile if you have a bad fall.  :(
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
Gath helmet works great as a camera mount. If you don't mind looking dorky.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »

I agree that the POV of the mouth mount is fabulous, but I am the only one that finds this mount dangerous? It seems like a great way to rearrange your smile if you have a bad fall.  :(

Oh I definitely keep it in mind. I have only been using it is smaller surf. I have it positioned in a way so that camera/float is press against the chin, so a direct hit gets absorbed a little by my chin. I've taking some good falls, mostly on my back but a few face first, and I haven't noticed any stress, actually I barely feel it.  That being said, keep an eye out for my "lost all my teeth today" post in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
Thanks folks... making the vids is so much fun and rewarding, I appreciate the comments very much :-*

SaeMe, I agree that the leverage to the jaw from the commercial "Mouth mounts" could be a challenge.
Mine evolved from equipment failure and zero though went into it.... cam broke off board, waves good... I'm not going in!... so I stuffed the floaty in my mouth and kept surfing.

As it turned out... it was VERY comfortable, easy to breath and the only thing in my mouth was a soft piece of foam rubber.... nothing that could hurt my teeth or jaw. I suppose if I dove face first into my board it could be argued that it could hurt... but it would anyway so the foam might actually protect me.

Like JayIn said... I just reached up and grabbed it during a wipeout.... no problems at all... and just let hang from the tether while waiting between sets.

Whatz^... glad to bring a little Bay State out to you :)

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »
JayIN... nice video... it's fun to see the spots we read about and the people that surf them...

It's good to hear chit chat over wave sharing... nicely functioning line-up

Good surfing by the way, it looked like a fun day :D

You need to heckle people more  ;)... you are so quiet. I talk to myself none stop... "go, go, go... oh oh... this may go bed... ah crap, that wave sucked... yada yada"

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
JayIN... nice video... it's fun to see the spots we read about and the people that surf them...

You need to heckle people more  ;)... you are so quiet. I talk to myself none stop... "go, go, go... oh oh... this may go bed... ah crap, that wave sucked... yada yada"

Jay is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in the lineup. The worst thing I've ever heard him say, and this is an exact quote, "Holy shitballs, that's a fucking great white shark sitting right there in 3 feet of water. Holy cow."  Fortunately it was a juvenile and we happened to be out there looking for them but it cracks me up every time I watch the video.

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
^^^
  ;D

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

Jay is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in the lineup. The worst thing I've ever heard him say, and this is an exact quote, "Holy shitballs, that's a fucking great white shark sitting right there in 3 feet of water. Holy cow."  Fortunately it was a juvenile and we happened to be out there looking for them but it cracks me up every time I watch the video.

Ha...I hate watching that video because of my commentary., wish I had a mouth mount that day.  Although it emphasizes how nervous I was, but I think being circled by a couple white sharks might do that to anyone. 

Thanks for the nice words, Creek.  Enjoy your videos too, except it makes me jealous of your empty line ups and nice waves.  I'll work on heckling, but I like to keep the vibes good.  I get a little more vocal at Doho on busy days, but that is like a war zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »
I did notice in my last oeuvre that I had to edit out the parts that had foul language.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 11:58:40 PM »
I'm a fan of the chest mount and mouth mount. Something about the head mount means it is too high up, and you see less of the board and big hands.... I came up with a ugly but totally practical solution to be able to turn a mouth mount into a chest mount and viva versa, using a "Gear Tie" from Nite Ize (http://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp) and my CamelBak... Note that with a mouth mount it is best to invert the GoPro and having it hanging below your chin, otherwise you won't be able to see properly.

What this allows is a quick release and pop in the mouth, or to actually film from the tethered position on the chest. I am sure that this could be refined with the Chesty and some fittings, to enable a quick swap over, but this seems to work.

Okay.. there is a lot of other gear I carry in the CamelBak - the Pocket on the right (my left) has a PLB (Personal Location Beacon), a whistle, and a light as I'm often far off-shore. The one on the left (my right) has a floating knife and Gel... (for my hair of course)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:11:30 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal