Author Topic: Recording Sessions w/ a GoPro  (Read 18977 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Recording Sessions w/ a GoPro
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:50:45 AM »
I know David John and a few others have done great work in capturing SUP surfing time on the water so look forward to their thoughts/expertise on my following question:

I'll be renting a SUP and paddle for a trip out west later next month and plan to bring along my GoPro in order to capture some footage of myself.  Question is, as I'll be renting its not like I can affix my GoPro to the board (unless the rental has a mount) nor the paddle.  So, what would you recommend?  A chest mount, headmount, other?

Thanks!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Dgfreeman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Sessions w/ a GoPro
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:10 AM »
You can affix a gopro handlebar mount to the paddle shaft quite easily and it will leave no damage when removed.
#paddlelikehell
Walden Magic SUP 10'10"
Imagine Surf Carve 10'6"

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:15:24 AM »
It is looking like the Mouth Mounts are a great perspective.

I am going to order some..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:25:08 AM »
DG:  Good idea!
SP: I've got a false front tooth (composite) that I manage to break and have to replace every few years so I tend to be very careful on putting things in my yapper....but you're right, Ive seen them used with good results!

8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
There is a new 4 suction cup mount that has gotten rave reviews, I'll search for the link.

Surfing or flat-water?

I love the footage from a properly positioned head mount. The vantage point is great and also easy to take shots of others as well.... just "look & shoot"
Not easily worn in hard breaking waves, but great in softer conditions.

The camera view is tricky to get right... practice before you go... how high up or down do you want it aimed? What do you want to see in the vids?

Facing a cam forward misses a lot of action....

In surf, I have found regardless of direction (frontside or backside), I am happiest with the following:
Camera on my backside temple, aiming down.
when I am going frontside, it looks ahead, toward the shoulder, and shows my board and the lip at the same time.
when going backside, it has the same views because of the different position that I face....
pretend you are on a wave and mentally surf either way... think about where the cam would be aimed.
My " 10'6 Alana review" vid has many example of both directions, with equally good results....

I have had a lot of trouble trying to get good footage from my paddle mount... too much to worry about while surfing.

Another great option... just take the mount off and stuff the "Floaty Backdoor" in your mouth.... tie the safety loop to a "coaches whistle" lanyard and wear around your neck.
My "mouth cam" vantage is always perfect, rock steady and really quite comfortable.... even during nasty wipeouts.
I think its a lot safer than the leverage put on your jaw from a production GoPro "Mouth grip"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
As a video watcher here's what I think.

Don't mount it to the board if at all possible. Board mount perspectives can be very boring. It's getting so I don't even bother watching board mounted GoPro videos anymore. The camera is just too close to the rider to make it worth watching. Board mounting a camera was a dumb idea to begin with.

Head mount isn't bad for flatwater but not great for surfing unless you are shooting someone else on another board.

The key to a great self shot seems to be to get the camera as far away from the subject as possible. DJ has an elaborate PVC deck mount rig to accomplish this.

The best set up I've seen for surfing is the paddle blade mount. I really like these. DJ has done a lot of these too and they are excellent.

The absolute best way to use a GoPro would be to have someone else hold the camera and shoot you from a short distance . It seems that GoPro hasn't figured this out yet because as far as I can tell the the camera doesn't have any viewfinder to help line up the shot making it very difficult to use as a camera in the traditional sense.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:54:15 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »
I'm reviewing all discussions regarding a go pro in this forum now, looking for something that will make the effort visually interesting and not hard to do while surfing.  My first effort with the camera was last weekend. I am the pinnacle of rookies when it comes to all things water photography, but Go Pro says it's easy so why not jump right in.

I went with a paddle mount.
Things I learned AFTER filming:

1. Angle the camera up some. I'm guessing 10 degrees or so, to take some of the obstruction of the shaft and handle out of the frame.  I don't know what will work but I know something should be done.
2. Don't just let it bump along behind you.  When you watch DJ's, Beasho's and many other vids, they spend the effort to move the angle to something more than just normal paddle use.  It runs contrary to training, but it works for getting the shot.

Things not yet learned.

1. Optimal off and on times.  Gotta figure out when the best time to turn the thing on is.
2. Timing.  Mine is bad.
3. Spacing. Mine is not good.
4. Watching for sun angle. I just don't think through things that deeply.
5. Mental focus.  Mine is on having fun in the waves.  The mere act of filming is somewhat distracting.
6. Video editing.  First try ever. Sooooo much to learn.  I know nothing.

Here's my first work product.  I think you can see it's a beautiful day.  Beyond that, I apologize for my lack of film skill.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:29:17 AM by SlatchJim »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
If you use a headmount either tie some sort of leash from it to your wetsuit/boardshorts or attach some floatation to it.  It will fall off.  Even if you are just paddling, the force of the water when you fall will take it off you head. 
Currently, I tightly tied a floating key holder to the back of the strap.  It was about $6 at the local marine hardware store. 

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:39:30 AM »
SJ:  I don't think it was that bad for try #1.  I think it actually would've been pretty good if you were aware of your #2 point (don't let the paddle bump).

Badger:  I do recall DJ's rather elaborate raised mount.....GREAT footage, but man I just know I'd catch that thing right square in the crotch!!   :o

I'm begging to see a plan come together whereby I try chest mount, head mount, and handle bar mount on a paddle.

I find it really interesting in that a lot of the best footage is being captured via camera on a paddle..................as such, the paddle plays little to no role whatsoever.  To the point that (I believe) its really no longer SUS'ing....its more just surfing.
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
slatch, that was a lot better than my paddle cam shots. You got a pretty good angle on the action and it was pretty steady.
It would be great to have the cam swivel on the paddle so you could aim over the blade when shooting others.. and you gotta be pretty close.

For those waves, a head mount would be perfect.. downside?... you look like a dork. Ask me how I know.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
I've been trying out a chest mount.   think its good once on the wave but the paddle action whilst stroking for the wave is a bit distracting. 

Also trying to figure out best angles etc.  The GP is brilliant but wave size is compressed and if you film someone nearby they look small too.

This footage is a spot on England's North Sea coastline, works good on big days, this wasn't a big day! 

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »
SP: I've got a false front tooth (composite) that I manage to break and have to replace every few years so I tend to be very careful on putting things in my yapper....but you're right, Ive seen them used with good results!

I use a mouth mount all the time and I have 2 fake front teeth and hasn't been an issue yet.  The commercially available mouth mounts rely on you mid to back teeth to hold the camera in place.  Personally, the mouth mount is my favorite vantage point.  One tip; use RainX the housing lens to prevent water drops. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
dingfix....nice!

JayISC and others:  Got some (mouth) footage to share?  Interested in seeing from this angle.  Thx!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
WhatzUP...
this is my version of a Mouth Guard (Floaty clenched in teeth)... after the 5 min mark.

the first part I had the cam nose mounted, aiming forward, to see what the vids would look like and to shoot others...
then I snapped the mount off the board with a knee strike, so I just stuffed the cam in my mouth and kept shooting and talking.

everyone thought it was pretty funny, but the vantage is great,(when there is no "blob" on the lens)

anyway... it's there if you can slug your way thru the whole thing.... not my best effort. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LODmUXpcBE

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »
Really helps, Creek--been thinking through a setup myself as the whales are coming back.  Nose-mounted shots get old quickly.  You do get a better perspective of things from the mouth, but as most of my stuff will be on distance paddles I do wonder how much it'll bug my breathing.

An unintended bonus of this was seeing your extensive stretching regimen... ;D
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal