Author Topic: What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?  (Read 674555 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?
« Reply #1290 on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
No red left?..."sorta weird aqua" would clash with the red truck and orange board... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 21, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
Had to get rid of my Chevy Avalanche to much rust underneath. Here is my new ride bought it about a month ago. Undecided Thule roof rack or TracRack?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1292 on: February 21, 2017, 10:58:56 PM »
^ One Thule in the bed and a bar on the cab. 

Track Rack is super strong, but expensive and too high.  They look kinda silly to me in a short bed, the bars end up about 4 feet apart (if that) and they are strong enough to support an ocean liner.   

I like some distance between my bars.  (I have a double cab taco too, but a long bed).  Ski and bullet on the bars, surf sup in the bed. 
Support your local shaper

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 22, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
  Ski and bullet on the bars, surf sup in the bed.

Ah, the mullet approach ;D

For me, it would depend on whether I plan to use the bed.  For a short bed, I would probably go with the roof option and keep the bed free.  On the other hand, if it was a long bed exclusively for my boards, I'd go PB style, low racks.  I have a buddy who does that and it makes loading way easier.

I've found the key to living with high racks (my Wrangler for instance), is to go wide enough so you can load on one side or the other.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 22, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
I agree the Track Racks on a short bed look kind of silly with the gap between the racks. I'm leaning towards Thule roof racks with the areo cross bars.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1295 on: February 22, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
Those are not the roof racks you want.  You want OEM Toyota.  They bolt into existing holes under that piece of trim on your roof.  Very easy to install, bulletproof, stowable and quiet.  Toyota makes nice stuff. Aftermarket clip-ons are garbage by comparison.

https://toyotapartsunlimited.riveratoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-roof-rack-pt27835140/?c=Zz1oYXVsaW5nJnM9Y2FycmllcnMmYT10b3lvdGEmbz10YWNvbWEmeT0yMDE2JnQ9dHJkLXNwb3J0JmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

4 boats, side by side, with an inch between and very secure.  I originally had 2 Thule's in the bed, but eliminated the front one.  I scavenged the bar and installed it across the OEM front racks.  Works like a charm. 

I have a nifty bed extender too, that folds up real small against the tailgate when it's closed.  Super handy, that extra room is the bomb.  It's called an "insta gate"  but I don't think they make them anymore. 

From the wayback machine, in aught 8.  Original setup with 2 Thule's and OEM Crossbars.  This is why I like the adjustable Thule's vs non adjustable (and too high) Track Racks.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:16:20 PM by LaPerouseBay »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1296 on: February 23, 2017, 06:44:58 AM »
You guys are funny worrying about the look of your racks. Do you put your makeup on while you drive to surf too... ;) That said by the guy that's worried about clashing colors... ::) ::) ::) $150 for a set of used T-racks in a short bed Taco and I can haul 6 (or more) boards at a time and I have $ left over for a new paddle and a nice dinner with my wife... 8)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 23, 2017, 07:13:16 AM »
I'm more into function than fashion but given the choice, I would not bolt on that giant, plastic POS looking OEM rack to a Tacoma. I know of many Taco owners who got rid of that thing and put on a MUCH better Yakima system that not only looks better, but has less drag, and you can take the control towers off in seconds too, so if you don't want a rack on your roof, you don't have to have it up there. You also get solid bars with a better rack system as well.

The Nissan Frontier factory racks are just as nasty and most owners don't like them. They are huge and the bars aren't solid either. Problem with the Frontier is the many bolt holes that remain if you take it off and the Tacoma is a cleaner set up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 23, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
No red left?..."sorta weird aqua" would clash with the red truck and orange board... :)

Aren't you the guy below laughing about people worrying about appearance? OK, pick a color and give me measurements. The 1000 denier stuff is a bitch to sew anyway. Width and diameter over the pads. I recommend pipe insulation taped over the bars. The covers just hide the tape.

Reminds me of the old joke:
"My mother made me a homosexual."
"Really? If I give her the yarn will she make me one?"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:28:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 23, 2017, 07:35:15 AM »
As soon as I get back to hood river I'm going to weld up a new set of racks. I have a super clean design in mind, we'll see if I can translate that into finished aluminum. I have to move the monster Miller Synchrowave 350 TIG welder from the bomb shelter under my garage to my shop. Gonna need three men and a boy just to push it up the hill in my backyard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1300 on: February 23, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »

Aren't you the guy below laughing about people worrying about appearance? OK, pick a color and give me measurements. The 1000 denier stuff is a bitch to sew anyway. Width and diameter over the pads. I recommend pipe insulation taped over the bars. The covers just hide the tape.

Reminds me of the old joke:
"My mother made me a homosexual."
"Really? If I give her the yarn will she make me one?"

Did you not read my comment fully? I understand I'm as guilty as anyone...doesn't mean I can't yank chains.... ;D

Red works...or basic black...I'll get you the dims. My last rack pad was pool noodles wrapped in an old wetsuit held on with tie-wraps...actually looked good and worked great but the neoprene started to breakdown after a year of sun.
Bob

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1301 on: February 23, 2017, 09:41:20 AM »
I'm more into function than fashion but given the choice, I would not bolt on that giant, plastic POS looking OEM rack to a Tacoma. I know of many Taco owners who got rid of that thing and put on a MUCH better Yakima system that not only looks better, but has less drag, and you can take the control towers off in seconds too, so if you don't want a rack on your roof, you don't have to have it up there. You also get solid bars with a better rack system as well.

The Nissan Frontier factory racks are just as nasty and most owners don't like them. They are huge and the bars aren't solid either. Problem with the Frontier is the many bolt holes that remain if you take it off and the Tacoma is a cleaner set up.

Excellent points Robon, the Toyota OEM roof rack is limited in width compared to an aftermarket with a full bar width.  Also, if aftermarket is easy to remove, that's good, if you don't carry stuff everyday.

The picture of the Thule roof rack wee posted is as limited in width as the OEM Toyota.  Also, they are closer together - which is not good.   

In retrospect, I'd recommend one Thule bed rack and one aftermarket on the roof.  Something with a full width bar.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 23, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
Did you not read my comment fully? I understand I'm as guilty as anyone...doesn't mean I can't yank chains.... ;D

Yeah, I read it, I just wanted to yank your chain.

I suggest you pick a consistent and unusual color that you can use elsewhere. Since your truck is red I'd suggest grey not black. Black and red are just too primary (you may recall I live with a designer, or you can just picture me in full wrist-flipping mode). I'm going to tart my truck up a bit, and the paint is metallic gray, so everything I'm adding is red.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 02, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
To be honest I did not want the Toyota OEM racks on the roof I could have had the dealership install them when I bought the truck. I'll be honest I just didn't like the look of the rack. I want the freedom of removing them during the winter months and I'm only going to be carrying 1 board a short distance.

Bonus: A friend of mine works as a regional manager for a trucking supply company so I will be getting the Bro Deal. I will probably go with the Thule.

supthecreek

« Reply #1304 on: March 03, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »
I prefer "Creek RaK's"

Basic eeney, meeney, miney, mo approach, with up to 11'rs on the rak

Special bonus:

Slide in the 14'r at carry height... zero lifting.

;D

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal