Author Topic: Shoulder Rehab  (Read 2774 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Shoulder Rehab
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
My shoulder is starting to feel a bit better after 15 weeks. Definitely the best session yet post injury. This sesh is eight days after the sonogram guided cortisone injection. Still taking it slow and hoping to ride the next lowest volume sup by months end.
Thanx Zoners!
surfercook  8)

Caught a bunch! Not sure if all can access the SOLOSHOT hosting site. Fingers crossed.
https://app.soloshot.com/video/0aafb62a-130d-4f8b-99b7-ad40e5de14c6

Funny, ya ever feel like you've emulate another surfers style?! My first wave felt like a casual Digger stance!

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder Rehab
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »
Since I've had both my right and left shoulder surgically repaired, I know your 15 weeks seems like a long time to be off your board, but when I had my right shoulder surgically repaired, my orthopedic surgeon told me there would be 52 weeks of rehab and he told me to stay off of my boards for 52 weeks.

My right shoulder was a mess inside and my surgeon had to double stitch me inside to repair the severe damage. This is why I was told "no sup for you for 52 weeks".

Hope your recovery goes well and is speedier time wise for healing than mine was.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Just got to keep going.... Duracell shoulder.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
Looking good. I was sure you'd whip out your nose riding board any moment.
I should check out the island, you always seem to be alone(ish) on the water.
in progress...

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:38:37 PM »
Good to see you are recovering. I’ve been strengthening my shoulders lately just to keep ahead of anypotential  injuries. It definitely helps and I feel stronger in the surf. I also  am jealous of your lonely waves.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 05:02:19 AM »
Back in the water. Salt water therapy is the best.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »
cant keep a good cookie down!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »
I've had both my right and left shoulder surgically repaired and my orthopedic surgeon told me there would be 52 weeks of rehab and he told me to stay off of my boards for 52 weeks.
WOW! I never knew that about you, Nighty! How long ago was the repair and how does it feel now?

Duracell shoulder.....
lol, Matt. I'm trying but taking it super slow.

I should check out the island, you always seem to be alone(ish) on the water.
There are times when it's not so empty here. If you do come to the island be sure to look me up, burch.

I’ve been strengthening my shoulders lately just to keep ahead of any potential  injuries. It definitely helps and I feel stronger in the surf. I also  am jealous of your lonely waves.
What exactly do you do for strengthening the shoulders? Like I replied to burchas, not always empty here. But more often than not my little break is quite sup friendly w/few takers.

Back in the water. Salt water therapy is the best.
Sure felt nice! Our beloved Mother Ocean is heal all for sure.

cant keep a good cookie down!
lol, thanx, eastie.

lol...someone disliked my vid!

https://youtu.be/HvN_lVTXEsE

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:54:30 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 08:15:54 PM »
I've had both my right and left shoulder surgically repaired and my orthopedic surgeon told me there would be 52 weeks of rehab and he told me to stay off of my boards for 52 weeks.
WOW! I never knew that about you, Nighty! How long ago was the repair and how does it feel now?

I had my left shoulder surgically repaired in the year 2002. I've never had a problem with it since 2002.

My right shoulder was really a mess in early 2017 and I didn't know how bad it was at the time. I had a burning sensation in it. There was a very large bone spur that was as long as a rooster's spur and sharp. It had cut 90% through my rotator cuff. It was surgically repaired on March 29th, 2017 by the same orthopedic surgeon who repaired my left shoulder.

In the medical procedure at the sports medicine complex, all the operating rooms are on the first floor, the long bone spur was removed first. Since the rotator cuff was cut 90% through, my surgeon had to reconstruct the cuff back into position like zipping up a jacket coat. I was double stitched inside. My surgeon told me it was the worst rotator cuff injury he had ever seen. I told him I'm an outdoors person and "I play hard". He understood.

I did 4 weeks of physical therapy, on the second floor, at the sport medicine complex where my surgeon has his office on the third floor.

Every week there were three sessions per week in one hour time sessions. Then when I was released, my surgeon told me there would be PT at my home on my own; 3 times per week in one hour time sessions for 48 weeks.

My surgeon told me not to "slack off" on the PT sessions at my home. Then he told me no flat water paddling or sup surfing until March 29th of 2018. I asked him why? He told me if I fall on the board with my right shoulder while flat water paddling, it would damage the inside of the right shoulder joint. And if a large wave came caught me from behind and crashed down on the right shoulder while I was sup surfing, it would damage the right shoulder. He said the injury I had to my right shoulder would take one year (52 weeks) to heal properly.

He also told me most people "slack off" at home when it comes to their PT work. He told me he did his part and if I did my PT part at my home for the time I was instructed, I would never have any pain in the right shoulder. But he told me if I "cheated" and/or got hurt being on my board when I was not supposed to be on my board; my surgeon told me he would repair my right shoulder again, but then after that, I would not be his patient ever again so we would part company. He said to me, "Do you feel me"? I said back to him, "I will do what you say and I won't slack off because I DEFINITELY feel you".

And I don't have any pain in my right shoulder. BTW, my orthopedic surgeon is an avid archer (compound bows) so he knows about the outdoors. He told me to get rid of my Werner Trance 85 sup paddle blade and get a new paddle with a 75 square inch blade. He said the 75 would be easier on my shoulder joints at my 145 pound weight. And I did and he was right on the 75.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:23:28 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
Night Wing- I appreciate the full disclosure. Your ortho sounds super cool. Hey, took my next vol sup out today in some clean little offshore waves. Felt okay. Still takin it slow though.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »
Night wing - +1 on the smaller paddle. Am using a Werner Apex 76 small shaft small grip.

Better in every way possible..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:14:18 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »
Hey cook, here is the exercises that I've started putting into my routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOkU4sqQo0 

I also switched to a shorter and smaller paddle recently, with a more forgiving shaft. (kenalu HO'OLOA PADDLE 84 with a xtuff (s) shaft). I don't really feel that much difference, but I think since we are surfing, it won't be as dramatic as shortening the paddle.

I also watched this super quick Mo Freitas' advice on grip, and it has helped my shoulder and my golfer's elbow immediately (I don't golf, but my paddle stroke/gym routine seems to cause the same problem).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnKVCnVLJI
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:31:53 AM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal