Author Topic: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?  (Read 42123 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
I love Maui and my wife and I have fantasized/talked about moving there more than once. I always come to the realization that Maui may be paradise in many ways but in the summer we like it here in New England even better. We would miss home too much for so many reasons. Of course it also helps that when we need a Maui fix I also get to go hang with my bro, and Sue my wife, loves Diane his wife, like a sister.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:32:07 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 11:08:09 AM »
Been away from here for a couple of days, so it feels good to check in with the surfing life.   
Ol' man winter is kick'n are arse again this morning.

Great topic here

I hate to p!ss on anyone's parade, but you might find out in life that your wife and kids could have other interests than yours.

I'm all about the surf, however life seems to be easier when all of the family members get a chance to do their own thing too.

You sound like my wife

Wow. Somehow I have this feeling that if you DO make it to Maui things are not going end well.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
Wow. Somehow I have this feeling that if you DO make it to Maui things are not going end well.

Not necessarily. We moved here 3 years ago and are very happy. You just need to realize that going to vacation some place for a short amount of time is not the same as living there year around. But that is not unique to Maui.

I gotta say, if you can swing retiring here, it is an ideal climate for old farts like moi. Nothing like a warm ocean and warm, humid air to make creaky joints and achy muscles feel better.

A funny anecdote - Thanksgiving we went to some friends for dinner. I thought I should dress up a bit with long pants. I searched all over the house and could not find a single pair. After living here 3 years, I realized I don't even have a pair of long pants! I just love it when your cares become so minimal.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
Looking over all of the opinions in this thread, I am steered toward my original thought on Maui; take long vacations there until the time is right to move there.  It wasn't all selfish wanting to move the family there. The biggest draw was wanting to have my kids grow up to be little watermen and woman. And this could only really happen while living there full time. 

It would be painful to drive by Lanes, with overhead surf and 25kt wind(perfect kiting conditions), on the way to work. I deal with this no matter where I live though. In Reno its a powder day, or kiting on Tahoe, or a mayfly hatch. Life is about balancing work and play. I have always lived in cool places and only worked so that I can play. Kids change that a little. I'm sure my kids will develop a strong play ethic, and make ample time in life for it like I have. Of course working and generating income to play is super important. 

I think that this thread has brought out thoughts that we have all had about where we live and where we might want to live. The truth is that no matter where you live, if you are an adventurous spirit, you will have a good time in life. Don't stop taking risks. And like Eleanor Roosevelt famously said "Do something everyday that scares you". Thinking about transplanting my family to Maui scares the hell out of me. But it is really exciting! I moved to Tahoe 17 years ago with $200 in my pocket and visions of deep powder and steep creeks to paddle. It was one of the most exciting days of my life! And it worked out fine.

PS- Spookini- I know that I am a spring chicken in this forum. That Is why I am grateful to have all of old salty opinions. Thanks to all posters!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
All of these widely varying opinions are good summations of the benefits and challenges of Maui in particular and Hawaii in general. It's a very worthwhile place. I wake up a lot of mornings listening to whales thumping their tails. There's a lot of great people here and there's fun stuff to do with them most every day. But it can be a stretch. Keep working at it and you'll figure out a way if it's important enough to you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »
I hate to p!ss on anyone's parade, but you might find out in life that your wife and kids could have other interests than yours.

I'm all about the surf, however life seems to be easier when all of the family members get a chance to do their own thing too.

I had the same dreams for my kids when they were growing up.  I live in South Florida and have the luxury of being able to spend the whole year in and around the water.  My two boys were raised around the ocean, and the water was a big part of our adventures when they were young.  As my older son reached 7 or 8 he wanted to spend less and less time doing water activities and by 10 years old he was fully into more traditional sports like baseball, football and basketball and by the time I started SUPing, he didn’t even want to try it.  With the exception of a special trip, he started passing on the watersports and in favor of those other sports.  Now, my younger son, never could figure out how to throw a baseball, but he loves the water.  He ended up loving SUP and we have had many great SUP adventures.  He’ll drop anything to go out on the water; diving, fishing, surfing, whatever and he's in.  But a lot of times I have to skip the watersports to make time for something both kids and the wife will enjoy.  They are both teenagers now, and are two individuals with different tastes in everything.  They keep me busy. 

Like Forest Gump says – Kids are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.

So, you will have to find out if your kids love the water as much as you do.  Good luck and don’t forget to enjoy your kids and wife as much as you do the water.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2015, 04:04:46 AM »
the grass is always greener....
i've been on oahu 20 years and have surfed, paddled etc. avidly the whole time.  probably too much for my own good in some respects...  and now that i have young kids we talk more and more about moving back to the mainland because its more affordable with better schools.  When you add up the costs of private schools and everything else -- real estate in particular has skyrocketed (i don't know about maui but $2K for rent won't get you much beyond a small apartment on oahu)--  it's very difficult to get ahead here unless you have extended family with property.  Maui may be easier but Oahu is tough.
the surf is great but its not everything, and a lot of times i wish it were easy to go skiing or do other things that just aren't  as readily available here.  i spent time as a kid in small ski area towns and think it would be nice to raise my kids in that sort of small town environment, maybe within a few hours drive of the ocean.  my wife misses having seasons too...  it's a tough one though, especially after being so focused on and in love with the ocean for so long.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 06:32:50 AM »

Not necessarily. We moved here 3 years ago and are very happy. You just need to realize that going to vacation some place for a short amount of time is not the same as living there year around. But that is not unique to Maui.

I gotta say, if you can swing retiring here, it is an ideal climate for old farts like moi. Nothing like a warm ocean and warm, humid air to make creaky joints and achy muscles feel better.

A funny anecdote - Thanksgiving we went to some friends for dinner. I thought I should dress up a bit with long pants. I searched all over the house and could not find a single pair. After living here 3 years, I realized I don't even have a pair of long pants! I just love it when your cares become so minimal.

I'm sure you are very happy.  Read the whole context of my post.  What your saying here is not what I was referring too.   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2015, 07:31:30 AM »
Possibly consider that there are many Mauis and many ways to Maui.

For this group water time is the main draw.  Would you still choose Maui if not for the water sports?  Some of the people posting are working jobs and scheduling water time where possible.  Some of these guys are rarely dry.  Those are two very different Maui's.  I know some of the posters are basically unbearable when they have been dry for two days in a row.  No one gets island fever when the surf is good / wind is good. 

Seabury Maui is Watercress Panini during the Fall production.   Public School Maui is the kids scolding the teachers for smoking out during class (class meaning a portable trailer).

Three white kids in Maui is very possible and very expensive.  A Tesla a year expensive. 

Mellow surfs at Launiupoko or Kanaha are stress free.  Pavilions or the bay?  Hmmm.

You will see and feel the Welcome to Hawaii...now go home and Maui Broke bumper stickers.  It will be the minority of the experience but its there.  There is a huge wealth discrepancy in Hawaii and it does cause some anger.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:45:06 AM by Admin »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Possibly consider that there are many Mauis and many ways to Maui.

For this group water time is the main draw.  Would you still choose Maui if not for the water sports?  Some of the people posting are working jobs and scheduling water time where possible.  Some of these guys are rarely dry.  Those are two very different Maui's.  I know some of the posters are basically unbearable when they have been dry for two days in a row.  No one gets island fever when the surf is good / wind is good. 

Seabury Maui is Watercress Panini during the Fall production.   Public School Maui is the kids scolding the teachers for smoking out during class (class meaning a portable trailer).

Three white kids in Maui is very possible and very expensive.  A Tesla a year expensive. 

Mellow surfs at Launiupoko or Kanaha are stress free.  Pavilions or the bay?  Hmmm.

You will see and feel the Welcome to Hawaii...now go home and Maui Broke bumper stickers.  It will be the minority of the experience but its there.  There is a huge wealth discrepancy in Hawaii and it does cause some anger.
A Tesla a year expensive is a great way to put it.  I'd back up everything Admin wrote.  You gotta have thick skin here.  It's been that way for a long time.  I feel like I have those horse side blinders on to limit distraction from the theater we see.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
Here's a pretty slick drone vid a guy did that gives a nice glitzy look at the island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9aBitcAlrY

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
That is slick but where is the Costco parking lot; the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Honoapiilani highway; the 30+ private jets parked at Kahului airport; burning cane fields; people lined up, trying to find a parking place for Mana Foods; sitting in the rain for an outdoor concert at the MACC; and last but not least, the morning lineup at Kanana with a 4-5' north swell? That is the everyday  *real* Maui. :)

BTW, that is a great shot from the vid looking over Ho'okipa straight at Iao Valley and West Mauis...

Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »
Nice pic.  That's a maliko run! 

That video bummed me out.  All that great nature spoiled by 10 shots of Wailea Point.  I've done a bunch of work in there and never had a good time.

$2500/month maintenance fees, anywhere from 2 to 18 million a unit.  It's gross in there.  That's a chunk of real estate I hope to avoid in the future.       
Support your local shaper

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
I was on the 38th avenue cliffs in Santa Cruz the day before yesterday, enjoying surveilling Pleasure Point and the ocean with binoculars.  There were five SUP at Pleasure Point main break, which made me think that one day I can be over there, too.

I saw a pod of dolphins swim by and start catching waves with the surfers.  Yup, they were actually surfing on the waves, just like the Youtube vids, then diving leaving a tracer ripple on the surface.  One of the SUPs was right in their path.

That was so wonderful to see, the kind of thing I thought you only got to see in the tropics or Maui. I would have loved to have been out there for that event.  The ocean never seems to stop pulling out intriguing Easter Eggs like that.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
That is slick but where is the Costco parking lot; the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Honoapiilani highway; the 30+ private jets parked at Kahului airport; burning cane fields; people lined up, trying to find a parking place for Mana Foods; sitting in the rain for an outdoor concert at the MACC; and last but not least, the morning lineup at Kanana with a 4-5' north swell? That is the everyday  *real* Maui. :)

BTW, that is a great shot from the vid looking over Ho'okipa straight at Iao Valley and West Mauis...

yeah all that's true but the downwinders are flat out outasight.  If it weren't for them.. who knows.  All my other friends who don't do that, I don't see any more.  Not because I don't like them, just no time.  Picking a place to live is ultimately about the people you get to hang with that you call friends.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal