Author Topic: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?  (Read 42203 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
Hippies living in Hawaii is exactly why the pakalolo has always been so good there. :P But the hippies in Paia is funny because in the mid 90's there was a crappy little piece of land next to Mana Foods in Paia and all of a sudden one day that "park" became populated with hippies that would just hang out there all day singing, beating their drums and talking story. They were a peaceful bunch that cleaned up behind them so I didn't care. Anyway, one day I asked them what brought them there all of a sudden? Mind you, this was shortly after Jerry Garcia passed away and they told me that most of them were Deadheads that used to follow the Grateful Dead everywhere and they came to Paia because they were told that Jerry Garcia's spirit was living there now. True story.

If you have kids that needs to go to school, and if you look white. I'd say Kailua or Hawaii Kai area in Oahu.
I don't know about Maui. I've heard that place is full of hippies, and I hate hippies.

and think about the distance between work and job as well. 20 mile distance at island is not like 20 mile at mainland.

About the only place in Maui that's a hippie enclave is Pa'ia and even then they don't make up the majority.  Considering how expensive Maui is, as much as you may hate hippies, the hippies there DO actually work for a living.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:12:23 AM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Man I miss Jerry.

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
I moved to Hawaii Kai from SoCal a year ago. I make 50% of what I made in LA. My wife is an MD, she makes 75% of what she would make in LA but works 25% longer hours. I love living here, but she is already feeling burnt out, and is permanently exhausted so never gets to enjoy the beauty of living here. So we will probably move back to the Mainland this year. :'(

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »
I suppose there are ways to supplement one's income in Maui if they are willing to take the risk that goes with it ;)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
As much as I loved living there, Hawaii will chew you up and spit you out if your income relies on the local economy. If you aren't financially independent, then I suggest you start an online business.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
Wow,
For what its worth, have lived full time on Maui for 35 years and the only time i get island fever is when i have to take a trip off Island.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
I moved to Hawaii Kai from SoCal a year ago. I make 50% of what I made in LA. My wife is an MD, she makes 75% of what she would make in LA but works 25% longer hours. I love living here, but she is already feeling burnt out, and is permanently exhausted so never gets to enjoy the beauty of living here. So we will probably move back to the Mainland this year. :'(

This is one of the paradise taxes I Mentioned. Hawaii is kinda like a love affair. You have this perfect looking partner, good looking, lots of fun, sexy, the whole 9 yards. Then after awhile. Your perfect partner isn't so perfect anymore and you yearn for more of a "normal" partner that is more balanced. You go back to a more balanced partner but get with the other one once a year for the excitement and rush. Hence the few months a year on Maui then walk away when things close in
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »
One of my other "white man problems" is that I just turned 40 and..

daswu, you're in the WRONG place if you're looking for sympathy...
40 is not old on the 'Zone.  40 is "must be accompanied by parent or guardian".  ;D ;D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »

40 is not old on the 'Zone.  40 is "must be accompanied by parent or guardian".  ;D ;D

I hope I get to meet you one day Spookini... and I mean that in a good way.  Priceless quote

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:19 PM »

Look around the line up or kiters,etc......60 is the new middle age. Be ready!

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 03:56:55 AM »
Been away from here for a couple of days, so it feels good to check in with the surfing life.   
Ol' man winter is kick'n are arse again this morning.

Great topic here

I hate to p!ss on anyone's parade, but you might find out in life that your wife and kids could have other interests than yours.

I'm all about the surf, however life seems to be easier when all of the family members get a chance to do their own thing too.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 06:53:25 AM »

I hate to p!ss on anyone's parade, but you might find out in life that your wife and kids could have other interests than yours.

I'm all about the surf, however life seems to be easier when all of the family members get a chance to do their own thing too.

Four pages and somebody finally says something worthwhile.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 07:31:59 AM »
Been away from here for a couple of days, so it feels good to check in with the surfing life.   
Ol' man winter is kick'n are arse again this morning.

Great topic here

You sound like my wife

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
The last few years we have had the opportunity to visit Maui for three weeks at a time each year.  We have had some fun surf sessions and downwinders.  Met most of the regular zoners that live there and they are a lot of fun.  The knowledge they have shared has kept me safe over the years. 

We live in Nor-Cal and our youngest is graduating from College in May.  Our house will be paid off in 4 years.  We inherited a 1/6 ownership in a 1 bedroom condo in Kihei, that we split with my wifes brother and sister.  This next November we will be over there for the entire month.  I have my own business and can get all my field work done before we leave and work about 10-15 hours a week while we are there. As much as we would love to live there, retirement funding will likely require me to work some.  I appraise commercial real estate, so its something I can do till I can't get around anymore.  My wifes brother and sister really don't use the condo much, so we will likely be able to expand our trips over to a month long, twice a year.  We have typically rented a van from local low cost companies and have not had a problem.  However, this next year we are going to buy a van and leave it in storage when we are on the mainland.  If we go over for two months, its cheaper to buy the van then rent one.  We will keep our boards in the van while in storage, which will save the board baggage fees.

If we end up with the opportunity to spend more time over there, we may buy a condo/house of our own.  We did spend some time this last year researching the market and it is pricey.  Condo's have fairly high maintenance fees and some even have land leases.  Prices get crazy when you go to the west side.  Kihei, seemed to be the best as far as being close to the water and cost.  It is a central location and you can get to any break within 20 minutes, except maybe Honolua Bay.  My son thought about moving his family there last year, but the job market and costs, just made a full time move improbable.  We were surprised at how many private schools there are.  Two years ago we got to know a local lifeguard at Kanaha.  The only way he can send his kids to private school is that his wife is a teacher there. 

What RonC said hit home for me, as my wife still wants to be able to ski in Tahoe.  We only live 2 1/2 hours away now.  So I suspect we will continue to visit Maui for extended stays and enjoy the island life on a part time basis.  We have some great friends where we live in Discovery Bay, and where we surf in Santa Cruz, and not to mention grandkids in Ventura.  She loves to surf and now rides an 8'5" SB Pocket Rocket, but she doesn't want to surf every day, every month, every year.  So for us, Maui will continue to be an extended vacation spot. Time will tell. 

Thought I would share what works for us right now.

Last note-  I haven't experienced localism, with one exception.  Honolua Bay on a good day.  I still had some good waves though.  There are so many spots to surf, you can avoid crowds and locals, if you don't mind not so easy access and maybe a long paddle.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

You sound like my wife

With this response I will field question #3.  You are indeed on crack.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:04:09 AM by Admin »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal