Author Topic: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?  (Read 42116 times)

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
Re: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 05:17:58 AM »
Awesome!
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 05:31:27 AM »
Fuck man, you guys make island sound horrible place to live. It is not like the guy wants to live there permanently for rest of his life.
He just wants to take a long vacation by the sound of it.

Average rate of people staying there is around 3-4 years. Largely due to military personnels continuously moving in and out.

I can see island fever happening at places like Kauai and Maui, but largely populated island like Oahu, there is no way you get island fever. Move there for one or two years. If you think of it as a long vacation that didn't really cost you all that much money, you'll end up happy. Think about how much money you'll spend on a week vacation. Now you get to do that for whole year or two, make some money on the island and when it is all said and done, you've done 1 or 2 year vacation for very little money, and ended up seeing way more than any tourist would.

I maybe little biased towards island since I'm asian and never felt any hostilities towards me, and as long as I kept my mouth shut I was local.

In the end, I grew up in So-Cal, and my friend say "You can take the boy out of Cali, but you can't take the Cali out of him." and that is so true. California has everything. Just enough racism to hate each other, yet we have learned to embrace one another. I can go Ski, Skydive, Surf all in one day. Sure the line up is busy and packed, more than any spot that I've been in Oahu but still you manage to get waves. I'm staying in So-Cal for rest of my life, and I rather surf in full wetsuit than a boardshort only. Skin cancer is real, and UV rate at Hawaii is insane. I didn't know that UV rating goes up to 11 until I moved to the island.

I just need one or two friend that lives in the island so I can go visit them time to time. (That's how you do cheap hawaiian vacation)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:42:41 AM by jumpfrom13k »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 05:48:43 AM »
The dogs and chickens were an amusement. In the wee hours of the morning, I would bang on my metal roof and start the dogs barking.... it spread like wildfire across the north shore.... hahahahaaaaaaa....
  ;D ;D ;D
all really good but that really got me.
I am the idiot who will honk the horn driving by the campgrounds at 5 in the morning........

I would throw out.....I didn't catch how old your kids are but if you like the school they are in, the interactions they are having and can see that continuing on.....seems that after about 3rd or 4th grade it is not as easy or good to yank them out and start again.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:57:02 AM by lucabrasi »

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
About two years ago I finished remodeling a house here in my little town on the central coast of Cali. between Morro Bay and Big Sur, for these people who live in the Reno Area.  They are ocean people with some kids, and want to move here for good as soon as they sell out of the Reno area.  They love this area, no freezing, no congestion, good waves, and good schools, but you do have to wear wetsuits (great anti-skin cancer protection), but right now the water is 58, not bad for the end of January.
But don't tell anybody,,,,,,,,,,,,, Cayucos or Cambria,,,,,,,,,,,, okay?

P.S. My parents had a get-away condo on Maui for about 15 years, so my brother and I took advantage of it the entire time.  When it came time for my parents to sell it, they asked my brother and I if we wanted to take it over, we both said naa, we like where we are.  He lives a bit south of me in Shell Beach, next door to Pismo.  Maui is a fabulous place to spend about two weeks at a time, in our opinion.

I'd love to live SLO, but can't make it work with the JOB
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 06:11:13 AM »
Waldorf Kula: Very fun...know a bunch of families pushed their kids thru there.  Might be an admissions lottery though (Max capacity?) So better check that before you pull the Rip-cord
Public Schools....Not as bad as you think.  I could name some Ivy leaguers who were totally public.  Maslow's theory:...kids do fine if their basic needs are met, but as someone said, it would be harder to yank them in 4th grade plus.

Never had a problem being haole....worked real hard to not be a "fckin haole"

We lived Kula...Mostly cause the centipedes stop at the Pukalani elevation and my wife had "an encounter" when 6 months pregnant.

You just gotta understand that it takes effort and humility....pays to have some autonomous skill sets...if you can "flip'em"...i guess you do.

The funniest part is that although you think kiting would be the shiz, you'll probably end up being a farmer or something....You wouldn't believe all the first gen windsurfers who have moved on, and hardly do  "it" anymore....including i suspect a bunch of The Forum sup-pers

You just have to be able to tolerate amazing beauty with little "down-time"

And yeah....there are plenty chicken stories!!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:22:26 AM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
Waldorf Kula: Very fun...know a bunch of families pushed their kids thru there.  Might be an admissions lottery though (Max capacity?) So better check that before you pull the Rip-cord
Public Schools....Not as bad as you think.  I could name some Ivy leaguers who were totally public.  Maslow's theory:...kids do fine if their basic needs are met, but as someone said, it would be harder to yank them in 4th grade plus.

Never had a problem being haole....worked real hard to not be a "fckin haole"

We lived Kula...Mostly cause the centipedes stop at the Pukalani elevation and my wife had "an encounter" when 6 months pregnant.

You just gotta understand that it takes effort and humility....pays to have some autonomous skill sets...if you can "flip'em"...i guess you do.

The funniest part is that although you think kiting would be the shiz, you'll probably end up being a farmer or something....You wouldn't believe all the first gen windsurfers who have moved on, and hardly do  "it" anymore....including i suspect a bunch of The Forum sup-pers

You just have to be able to tolerate amazing beauty with little "down-time"

And yeah....there are plenty chicken stories!!!!
Wish you had informed that centipede that nailed me when I was 16 that they weren't supposed to be past Pukalani.  Hand turned black.  We lived in Kula (by Rice park at the highest point of lower Kula HWy.) then and working in the yard I saw plenty.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »
Its funny how the guys in Maui are saying hey its expensive, get island fever, you wont like it...but they've been living there for years.  Kind of like when people show up at my local surf spot and ask how the surfing is...yeah its not good, mushy waves, you wouldn't like it...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
Orange County CA coastal has a lot of what you are looking for.  In the summer there are all kinds of water sports camps for the kid.  They include sailing, swimming, surfing, junior lifeguard training.  I think that Newport Aquatic Center has SUP and Outrigger classes for kids too.  Bicycling is fun with some of the long boardwalk style beach paths.
There are plenty of homes in the area that need flipping.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
Orange County CA coastal has a lot of what you are looking for.  In the summer there are all kinds of water sports camps for the kid.  They include sailing, swimming, surfing, junior lifeguard training.  I think that Newport Aquatic Center has SUP and Outrigger classes for kids too.  Bicycling is fun with some of the long boardwalk style beach paths.
There are plenty of homes in the area that need flipping.

This guy is right, you would kill it down here.  Tons of properties to flip and make great cash.  3 million + people in the OC, lots of hospitals and an aging population.   I know it's not Hawaii but your kids will get a good education and you would be financially secure. 
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
My advice, get a brother that has a nice place on Maui and all the toys....works great.....if he was a little bigger I wouldn't even need to bring clothes....except for slippahs.....I would not wear his slippahs if I had to walk 1000 ft of blacktop in a blazing sun..... ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:23:19 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
My advice, get a brother that has a nice place on Maui and all the toys....works great.....if he was a little bigger I wouldn't even need to bring clothes....except for slippahs.....I would not wear his slippahs if I had to walk 1000 ft of blacktop in a blazing sun..... ;)

Funny.  I had a brother that I followed to great places for a period of time.  I would add an amendment to that advice, like make sure your brother is ... what's the right word here?  Sane?  But yeah your brother is generally saner than mine was.  Operative verb tense.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
If it were me, and I could stand to be around people I would look at the OC really hard. The opportunities for kids there are immense. There are people everywhere, but there is money everywhere too. If you are guy who can hustle and move you will be an instant success.

I just took over a business here in rural SW WA from one of my buddies (he's a surveyor) and he nearly ran this thing into the ground. I am cleaning up his messes all over the place. He moved to Newport Beach in August and within 3 months had blown by all his contemporaries, they fired his boss and he took his place. Out here in the sticks he was just a regularly talented surveyor, but had to hustle to keep things moving. Once he got into a big corporation in OC he was just way better than everyone there because of his experience living on the line.

My wife and I have looked hard at moving closer to warm water surfing and the OC is probably the only place we can agree on. I don't know if I could do the crowds and traffic.

However, I live here in WA right in between the coast and Pugetropolis. I can travel 45 minutes for waves, or 45 minutes to where people spend real money. 5 minutes to launch any watercraft, and there is good beer growing from every corner. What people don't like is the gray weather. To surf you need rubber, but the technology is getting so good and cheap that it really isn't a big deal anymore. There are no crowds where I SUP.

I agree with most here, I am trying to get myself set up to take 1 month vacations to Maui each year. I have been hovering between 2 and 3 weeks, but almost have myself set up to do a month-er. After all the gray it is nice to spend a long vacation there in June while WA warms up for the summer.
Make paddleboarding great again!

ChefBoyRD

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:44 AM »
My first visit to Maui was August  1985, had a great job in L.A. saved up as much money as I could.
 I had friend who lived here and I had worked with a bunch of local folks in Ca.  so I had an idea what to expect.
My buddy and I had our boards and hopped on a plane pulled up to Maalaea got out of the car and received a wonderful "Fing Haole's" welcome from some local boyz getting ready to go out, first swell that had hit Maalaea in a while so they wanted as few as possible  surfing. 
I worked and lived on the  upper west side for a few months, picked up one Maui cruiser and surfed as much as I could.
First time out at Hookipa , I only waited 45 minutes or so to even paddle for a wave.
On Maui (at least back then more so) you give respect you get respect and it wasn't long until the braddahs were hootin me into some waves.
Met some hot lil tourist gal and ended up moving  to San Diego a few months later.
Each year from 1991 on after I met my first wife we would come to the islands as I just couldn't get it out of system. Kauai, Oahu, but mostly Maui.
I talked my her into moving here in 1995 and it was the best decision I ever made in my life.

She was born and raised in San Diego and I couldn't get her to move back if I tried some 19 years later.

Is it easy ?, Hell no tell me something that is.
We home school 2 children, 13 and 10 currently, we were able to get into the real estate market before the over inflated prices took effect and have experienced the ups and downs of the economy here.

Personally I think it takes a special type of person to live here more than 2 years.
It's not a matter of if you like Maui.
In my experience it's more a matter of, if Maui likes you?
Take that as you will but it holds a bit of truth.
Maui is a very special place unlike very few others in the entire world.

I have travelled abroad and have friends who have lived in numerous "like" countries / places who also   speak 7 or more languages and have told me the same thing.

So do your home work and make it a team decision and stick to it.
Will your life be replicated as it exist now?

Nope sure won't that's why your looking to live here right?
Yes it is expensive ,
You'll wish you hadn't done it a some point .
You'll experience racism and bias attitudes. ( sounds like California heh?)
Most locals don't form long term relationships because the majority of people that make this move haven't planned properly or don't have  the right attitude to make it work here.
They don't befriend you as much  because they realize you will most likely be gone within 2 years. 
If you do make it past 2 years, your hooked and you will never get Maui out your being and if you do leave you will regret it and try everything to make it back.

Just some of the things that I have experienced here with my wife of 25 years, as well as only my perspective.

Good Luck in your decision.

Aloha !!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
Move to Newport Beach.  I hear Kobe Bryant just lowered his price from 8.5M to 6.67M (after 3 years on the market).  What a bargain, and it comes with it's own shark tank.  8)

The real answer to your question is that you won't know until you make the move. All of our speculation and experiences of others lack your timing, situation, finances and mental state.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
I was experiencing severe burnout in my late 30's and I decided the day after my mom passed away that life was too short and that I wanted to live somewhere I could satisfy my passion to windsurf my ass off. Soooo, 7 months later we sold most of our stuff and I moved the wife-ee at the time and our two little boys to Maui. We LOVED living there and I did windsurf my ass off! I have also lived on Kauai and loved living there too.

1. Why should I not do this? You should do it but with a few caveats... Food, clothing, and gas are very expensive but there is a Costco and K-Mart and stuff grows like crazy, so start a garden with your kids. Gas? Get small fuel-efficient cars which will be easier to get around cuz the roads are small too. Schools? I don't recommend anyone subject their children to the mind-numbing / soul-crushing indoctrination at government schools anywhere, but the public schools in Hawaii were literally at the bottom of the list for the entire US when we lived on Maui. Racism towards whites and especially those with blonde hair and blue eyes is pervasive and worse in the outer islands. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there is always an undercurrent of tension due to the racism. If your kids don't look like locals then I would NOT subject them to government schools because they will get picked on, beat up, and generally made to feel like a piece of shit by the local kids who were unfortunate enough to be spawn of meat head racist parents who see whitey as the devil. Solutions? Send them to Montessori or Seabury if you have the money or home school them. (There is a very active home school community on Maui.)

2. What part of Maui might work best? All of it! We were partial to the lush green areas so we lived in upcountry Haiku which was only a 15 minute drive to Hookipa and Kuau. (My main wave sailing spots were the reefs around Kuau)

3. Am I on crack? I don't know, dude, but I would get a nursing job lined up for your wife before making the move and then at least you know your bills will be covered. Have you considered Kauai? I moved to Maui for the wave sailing but Kauai is an older island with better formed reefs which means way more waves than Maui.

Just turned 40. I have a lovely wife and 3 little kids. I have allways dreamed of a move to Maui in order to live my waterman dreams daily and raise my kids to do same. We currently live in Reno, NV. This place is a sportsmans paradise with 4 seasons of outdoor adventure in my backyard. I flip houses for a living and my wife is an experienced ER nurse. i feel like financially, we could pick up and do the same jobs in Maui. My main pursuits in ocean are kiteboarding and susing both at an expert level. I would probably want to land near the north shore Paia/makawao/pukalani area. maybe even kahului as wife world most likely work at hospital.. We go to upper westside often on vacations but dont know much about neighborhoods, schools or commute times on north shore. We would need at least 1500 sqft house to rent with garage and want to spend around $2k/mo rent. Our oldest will be starting 1st grade, so we are looking for a decent school district.
I am an avid voyear on the zone, but have posted little. I have to drive 5 hrs to santa cruz to surf now. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Questions:
1. Why should I not do this?

2. What part of Maui might work best?

3. Am I on crack?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal