Author Topic: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?  (Read 42126 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: I really want to move to Maui. Realistic?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
We did it around 2 years ago. Kids are grown and we are retired, at least for now, but not with a big pot of gold. We love living here but everybody's circumstances are different. For us, it was about the right timing.

If we had kids in school, there is no way we would have done it. Or been able financially to do it. Housing is very, very expensive. Many people here are working 2 jobs just to make ends meet and that is with house sharing. Again, the real estate/rental costs can easily eat you alive. In my assessment, housing costs are the 'make or break' factor. Everything else is expensive but manageable - see below. But housing? If you can't swing something that will work for you, it is going to be difficult.

You are on an island where damn near everything that you consume comes from somewhere else, including a lot, no, wait, almost all of the food. So it all has an added cost. You pay 4+% excise tax on EVERYTHING, food and medical included. Car registration is expensive too. State income tax rate is around 11%. Not tax heaven. Property taxes are pretty reasonable for residents that occupy their homes. But without solar PV and/or hot water, plan to pay at least $150 a month for minimal electric. You can double that if you have a family and you're not careful with your usage. The point is, everything costs more and you don't get a tax break until you're old enough to collect social security - yep, they don't tax that! Woo Hoo! The added costs won't kill you by themselves, perhaps, but factor in the housing costs to get a realistic picture of what it's going to take. Not sure about rental costs but I'd be looking to see if there is anything suitable for a family for less then $3K/month....I really don't know what rents are.

If you need to work, even in the hospital, you're gonna be a lot better off if you have a job before you actually make the commitment to move. It can take a long time to get hired and the hospital is currently having serious financial issues so that's something to look into. They are talking a public/private partnership to keep it afloat. Your wife would be smart to visit and try and spend some time checking out the local medical infrastructure to figure out if she'd want to be working in it.

All the good reasons to live here are pretty self evident. But you do have to really want to be here, on an island, in the middle of the ocean. The only way back to the mainland is on a jet. And, if you really do want to be here, nothing else is gonna do. You can always go back to the mainland but you're gonna open your wallet again, cha ching!

Best of luck with your decision making. For us, the costs are worth it and we're squeaking by, so far. We are well aware that we may someday have to bail but while we can be here, we're gonna love each and every minute of island life. Even the goddam roosters, which we are surrounded by.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:46:43 PM by covesurfer »

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
Just do it....
Life is short....take a big bite.
Lived Maui 7 years, no regrets,,,,moved back only for my wife's family
vibrant loving people
several friends work in the ER...they always have great stories  grateful patients
started my kids there....all they did was giggle and roll on the grass.   
a fair number of Second gen kids now thru college have done exceptionally well academically etc
such a diverse community

Flipping houses...no idea.....but if you get Tongans to build a wall for you .....Well, you will have an interesting life
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »
I'm laying the groundwork for winters in Hawaii (likely Kauai or Oahu) in the next few years. We'll start with a month and see how that goes.

We do 2 trips over a year and have family there to ease the flow but I'm fairly certain that for many reasons I couldn't do 365 on island.

How much time have you spent there yourself, if you don't mind me asking.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
Always thought of Maui as a place to visit rather than to live.  A long time client/friend has a house in Kihei where he is going to retire soon, but it is 1600 sq ft and his wife wants a bigger home to entertain the grandkids.  My next door neighbor is a judge whose brother operates airport security on Larry Ellison's island Lanai?? or whatever it's called.

For some reason, my wife and I have not that much inclination to travel, but I imagine we will make it over there someday, but no desire to live on an island, that seems kind of spooky for some reason.

I did live in Oahu as a child, but I was in kindergarten, but I remember it well, especially the big bugs and slugs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:29:53 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »
I don't understand the part, "it is expensive to make living here." thing.

I mean rent is rent, it costs the exactly the same, but you get way less at Hawaii.
Food prices are shocking at first but you'll figure out how to eat cheap. Lots of rice and something for lunch/dinner.
You'll end up spending way less on gas. I've spent around 500-600 bucks per month in California, in Hawaii I filled up my tank once a week on a Costco trip.
I've spent much less on electricity at Hawaii vs So-cal. Since the place didn't even have AC to run. But hey, I'm at Hawaii, why stuck at a room watching TV? When I can be outside doing cool stuff.

If you expect to get same stuff, 2000 sq+, several bathroom, central A/C, private garage, yard and all that, yes that will cost you a fortune.

But if you expect way less for what you pay the same amount of money then at the end you are paying exactly the same as you would in mainland.

I paid 1500 bucks for a 850 sq, Two Bedroom One bath, apartment at Waialua. No AC, one small washing machine/dryer. So at the end you pay exactly the same.

Upside was that ocean was 2 minute walk. I was thinking that if I was living at Newport Beach/walking distance to the beach, I would have to pay around 3000 bucks for a 2 bedroom house.

Just move there for couple years. Who knows, you might end up stuck there for rest of your life and start saying "Ho Brah, Howzit"

I've had nothing but good experience in Oahu. Loved that place. If it wasn't for humidity and my asthma, I would go back there to live again.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:56:01 PM by jumpfrom13k »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:23 PM »
The thing about being in a temperate climate close to the ocean is you don't NEED to have a huge home, because you will likely be outdoors a lot doing things and you really just need a place to unroll your sleeping bag and do your laundry.

In places where the weather and climate are prohibitive, having a large, snug home with amenities makes a much bigger difference.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
Wow! This is all great stuff, as I expected from this forum. I looked at the Waldorf school in Kula and it would cost about $26k to send my 2 oldest for 5 days a week. That price is comparable to the waldorf school that they go to in Reno. The pictures on the website show the kids carrying a big outrigger canoe into the water. That is exactly what I want my kids doing in school. Learning from the ocean.

Sounds like the public schools wouldn't work for us. We are pretty white and haole looking.

As far as cost of living, lots of good points on this. Jump nailed it comparing the cost of living near the ocean on the west coast. Its ridiculous. I feel like if we pulled the trigger, we would rent something affordableish and focus on being close to wife's job. Supcheat had a good point too that we may not need a 2k sqft house because we are going to be able to do a lot more outside.

We have been going to west maui for the past few years staying at the HaleKai off lower Honokawai road. Every evening a large group of condo residents come out in sarongs and blow the conch shell in all 4 cardinal directions. Every time I witness this I can't help but picture myself blowing the conch at some point in my life. I have always thought that I would live the ocean life at some point in my life. My wife and I spent many winters(before kids) exploring Baja and Mainland mex on a shoestring budget, chasing wind and waves, and fish. Maybe I should just focus on getting back into that when the kids get a little older?

I love the thought of up and moving to Maui and committing to making it work. Living here, I sneak out to Santa Cruz 3-5 times a year on surgical strike man trips, and go on a couple of beach camping trips with the fam. When I get in the ocean I have trouble getting out and leaving.

One of my other "white man problems" is that I just turned 40 and am in good physical condition and don't want to wait till I'm 60 to live at the ocean. I want to pass my respect for the ocean down to my children everyday as they grow up. I want them to be rad kiteboarders and surfers, and as comfortable in the water as I am, or more.

Pono- I have considered the idea of working out a month long trip each year as a start. This would be a great way to get to feel the place out instead of just coming for a week like we usually do(and are doing first week of this April).

Whenever I start freaking out and pushing to move to the ocean, my wife and I always conclude the same thing. That is, that we have good jobs here and a great quality of life. And that as we get better at our jobs and make better money, while keeping the low cost of living, we will have more opportunity to travel and spend more time in the Pacific Ocean. And some day maybe even own a slice of paradise that we spend half the year blowing the conch at(and destroying the lip)

Outcast- thanks for the inspiring words. If everyone on this forum said what you said about "just do it!" I would probably be packing my bags right now.

I really appreciate all the different views here from the Mainland and the islands.
BTW- I love Oregon too, but my wife cant do the cold rainy beach thing. Its gotta be warm! Hood River has always been on my top 3 liveable places list. Competed in the Gorge Games there in 2000 as a kayaker and witnessed kiteboarding in its infancy(Reelbars and Deltawings). Chuck Patterson and Chip Wasson handed us kayakers a bunch of 2 line ram air F-One kites and wished us luck.....it was ugly. Came back the next year as a kiteboarder and did the downwind race from Stevenson to Event Site. 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
About two years ago I finished remodeling a house here in my little town on the central coast of Cali. between Morro Bay and Big Sur, for these people who live in the Reno Area.  They are ocean people with some kids, and want to move here for good as soon as they sell out of the Reno area.  They love this area, no freezing, no congestion, good waves, and good schools, but you do have to wear wetsuits (great anti-skin cancer protection), but right now the water is 58, not bad for the end of January.
But don't tell anybody,,,,,,,,,,,,, Cayucos or Cambria,,,,,,,,,,,, okay?

P.S. My parents had a get-away condo on Maui for about 15 years, so my brother and I took advantage of it the entire time.  When it came time for my parents to sell it, they asked my brother and I if we wanted to take it over, we both said naa, we like where we are.  He lives a bit south of me in Shell Beach, next door to Pismo.  Maui is a fabulous place to spend about two weeks at a time, in our opinion.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:21:24 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
The thing about being in a temperate climate close to the ocean is you don't NEED to have a huge home, because you will likely be outdoors a lot doing things and you really just need a place to unroll your sleeping bag and do your laundry.

In places where the weather and climate are prohibitive, having a large, snug home with amenities makes a much bigger difference.

This is the thing that people have a hard time coming to grips with: You can't have even a small (850 square feet small), piece of crap house in Maui unless you are gonna drop around $500,000 to $525,000, minimum. SUPcheat, everything you say IS true. But, even if you have very modest needs and you are willing to live in a small and very simple home, it is typically half a million just to get that. Don't take my word for it, spend some time looking at listings. Rents are high as well when you have such a tight market. 

And, there is not really such a thing as a 'fixer upper'. The stuff you find under $500K, that's a bulldoze or live with termites, roaches, unpermitted "improvements", and/or mold and rot until you win the lottery and can finally knock it down and rebuild. Or, it has a cesspool for sewage treatment that does not meet current standards and that you can't replace when it fails.

In a tropical ocean climate, older pretty much means falling apart or perhaps falling down soon unless there has been meticulous maintenance. If you're going to move to Hawaii, the cost of housing is the big stumbling block. And, you should NOT underestimate it or the needs that you WILL have for a decent space. Especially if you have kids.

It's a great notion to imagine a life where you are never at home, always on the water, etc. But reality is that you need a home, it's where you sleep, eat, maybe fix your ailing car, grow some food and hang out with your loved ones. Even in paradise, a home is important. And, yes, undoubtedly you can get by with less home here than on the mainland. But, you can't even get a shack unless you have serious scratch to put down. It is pretty weird to be at the bottom of the housing market at nearly half a million bucks. But then, we came from Oregon, where housing is still not at California cost levels.

If you look at it all with as unbiased an eye as you can and it will work for you, DO IT! But, get educated and go in with your eyes wide open.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:14 PM »
Good advice Cove, it's important to do this kind of move with a clear eye, because it's a little tricky and/or expensive to move here, and equally expensive to move back. This is all good advice, even the contrary comments. It's complicated. Take your time and learn all you can.

Then again, I told my wife long ago that when you commit to a course (I was talking about buying real estate at the time) because you love it, then your chances of doing well are better than if you do it because it's expedient.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 11:44:47 PM »
On the devil's advocate side, I have known people who have sacrificed their prime earning years to "follow their dreams" and wound up older, sicker and less employable with scant resources. 

There are no perfect answers to such questions because nobody can plan perfectly for the future.  Planning and saving to live to be 100 but dying at 60 without doing some of the things you wanted is kind of a bummer.

Believe it or not, 40 is still pretty young.  I don't think I would sacrifice earning and savings potential at that age, especially since you are not sure exactly what your earning potential is in your target area.  Also, if you and your spouse have to work all the time to live there, the charm of the place might wear thin if you are too tired to enjoy the place like vacationers do.

I have talked with  Maui condo buyers who never go and just wind up selling.  There must be a brisk haole turnover market.  Also, for mainlanders not used to island living, "rock fever" can drive some people nuts after a while.

I would say maximize your earning potential and take the longest vacations you can and keep them vacations.  A place where you feel tied to a job struggle and you feel like the bottom of the food chain, surrounded by rich people at their leisure, might lose a lot of bloom no matter where it is.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:47:10 PM by SUPcheat »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 12:15:08 AM »
I know plenty of people who have been disappointed at either end of that strategy. My best friend worked his ass off all his life, got very rich, and died in his early 60's just as he started to have a little fun. He honestly didn't know how to relax and have fun, I was teaching him, but then he went and died on me.

On the other end of the spectrum I have plenty of friends who had a great time while they were young, mostly surfed or skied, or in one case, fished and hunted everyplace they could think of. Minimal jobs, no savings, no retirement. Now they scrape along and curse the decisions they made when they were young.

Neither way is a mistake. There is no perfect path.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
You should check out city-data.com. It has a Maui forum and there are endless discussions there about moving to Maui with kids. My observations are this:
  • Maui costs 15-25% more than the mainland to live. Closer to 15% if you are coming from Seattle or San Francisco, a lot more if you are coming from a cheap, rural location.
  • If you do not have employable skills that will be in demand here, you are on thin ice.
  • If you do not have cash reserves, you are on thin ice.
  • Schools, medical care, isolation from friends and family back on the mainland, and lack of jobs seem to be the biggest reasons people go back to the mainland.
  • Will your wife be happy here?

My recommendation: Wait until the kids are off to college.

Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »
Lots of truth in this thread. I made it 10 years before things got to a point where it just wasn't paradise anymore, just a place with a lot of issues. My suggestion is to make your money where you can be the most successful and Maui ain't gonna be it. Take extended vacations there. Live the Maui dream and then go back home. Look forward to the next yearly 2 month long trip. Have the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't trade my 10 years of beachfront living for anything but I was young and single. I was a spec house builder and surfboard shaper to pay the bills. The friends I had there with kids had a tough time. Even if you put your kids in private school there are the "out of school" hours that still need to be contended with  the local kids.

I'd like to paint a picture of all perfect surf and rainbows  and friendly people everywhere everyday but I can't. The only way you'll truly know is to just go do it. You can always come back. Who knows, you just might pull it off just go into it with eyes wide open

Aloha
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 04:59:11 AM »
At 30 I decided to move to the fabled "North Shore" of Oahu. I knew 1 guy in Honolulu. He gave me a ride to Sunset Beach and dropped me off.
I had maybe $100, a surfboard and a backpack. The surfboard was the mistake. I had to buy a board better suited to the waves.

So there I was.... standing at Sunset with nothing.

Next day I was moved into a 2 bedroom apt 300 feet from the Sunset rip. Cable TV pilfered from my landlord and a big garden filled with fruit trees.
Cost $60 a month, utilities included. It was a stretch, but I made it work.

I lived on unemployment and pretended to look for work... but I was there to surf... not work, so it all worked out.

I bought cars from departing surfers and sold them to incoming surfers... sometimes on the same day. Tidy profits.

I got bored because I am a "road trip" kind of guy, and there was nowhere to go. They have 2 interstate highways but I couldn't find any other states....

The dogs and chickens were an amusement. In the wee hours of the morning, I would bang on my metal roof and start the dogs barking.... it spread like wildfire across the north shore.... hahahahaaaaaaa....

I loaded up the chicken coops in my garden with big, gnarly surfer dudes with names like "Caveman" and "Big Beef"
They provided me with some security from the local hooligans
but even they could become hazardous, if they took to drinking.

Casual George and Avril balanced off the 2 lowlife trolls from Santa Cruz... our little neighborhood was set and the surfers dream became reality.

7 months of perfect weather  and waves was all I could take... island living suffocated me... I needed access to more land..... when Cape Cod hit 70 degrees, I moved here... and have lived for 36 years in a paradise I can't tear myself away from.... no tropics compare.

Island living Cape Cod style yesterday.... a solo 3 hour tour, of mind altering beauty, calm and peace.
*note... the saltwater froze like a cartoon scene, the moment the sun dipped below the horizon.... it was a crispy paddle back to the mainland  ;)

Paradise is where you find it. Beware, hesitation is contagious.....Go... risk... life is short... it always works out, if you want it bad enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal