Author Topic: SUP'ing Jalama??  (Read 12199 times)

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP'ing Jalama??
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »
So my Proner buddies are trying to talk me into a trip to Jalama. They even offered to cover the cost cuz they know I don't get real excited trying new places on a SUP.

Two questions:

A) Is it SUP friendly?
B) Some of you are gonna laugh... But I have to ask anyway. How sharky is it? I hear Santa Barbara gets more visitors than we do here in South OC. Or at least...bigger ones ;)

Thoughts??
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP'ing Jalama??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:07:33 PM »
So my Proner buddies are trying to talk me into a trip to Jalama. They even offered to cover the cost cuz they know I don't get real excited trying new places on a SUP.

Two questions:

A) Is it SUP friendly?
B) Some of you are gonna laugh... But I have to ask anyway. How sharky is it? I hear Santa Barbara gets more visitors than we do here in South OC. Or at least...bigger ones ;)

Thoughts??

I have been to Jalama Many times..

Great place to bring the Kids and camp or RV.
You can even rent a Trailer ..

There is a Country Store with lots of Goodies.
Highlight is the Tri-tip BBQ or the Jalama Burger..

It can be very moody..

One day It was crystal clear green in the morning, hollow and barreling,
then wind shifty and gusting North then South,
Kinda Glassed off in the evening. Kelp there so it helps.
Then in the middle of the night started blasting offshore..
Had to weight down the tents so they wouldn't blow away...

Next morning the water was black and the waves at the point were growly...
Snapped a board...

Some trips were relatively uneventful weather wise, but always waves..

I have had many a great trip and so did the Family and dog...

Sharks are in the area but I didn't spook...

There are open areas where you can get away from the pack..

I would try to not camp near the river..
The Raccoons come into camps and fight like cats over scraps..
Keep a clean camp site to avoid critters...

Summer time wasps....leave out some sweet juice and they will come...

Back up TP in case the heads are short...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »
Thanks Ralph! Great report
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:17 AM »
Jalama is a beautiful place. I haven't been there for many years though. I hear now it's first come first serve with camp sites and if you show up and it's full you're SOL but maybe things have changed? In the early 70's it was empty! The surf breaks year round as it's open to all swells and can be big and mean.. Summer is beautiful. Fun on a small South. Winter can be very challenging, and windy! Since it's such a bitch to get to I doubt very seriously if there are any "locals" that are in a position to gripe about SUPs. Sharks? Of course. There is a lot of sea life there so there will be sharks but sharks that are already full.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:05 AM »
Might be a Great Oar-on Adventure...
There are 2 Group Sites you can Pre-Book.
The best one is at the very south closest to the Tarantulas kinda of a Point..

Yes Open Spaces are first come first served..

I have always been able to get in.

You can double up in a Campsite, so if someone has a spot you can offer to pay
for it, if they let you be the second car.

When you get there, get a number from the Ranger at the entrance,
that is your place in line for a spot.

I think they give the spots out at 11:00 Am,
They will give you a park site map and the slots that are going to be available.
Walk the park and make you 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choices..

Any site is better than no site...

If you get there too late at night to get a spot and they are full and you can't find a buddy to double up with;
there is a RV Park at Lompoc you can stay at overnight.
Then head back to Jalama in the morning...get a number..do the drill...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
Jalama is a special place...you should check it out...always good for people's souls to get out of the city...

I'm a day tripper to the "J"...annual pass...one hour drive...etc...and, we still like to camp there...
It's been a part of my DNA...been surfing and camping there for over 40 years...windsurfing for over 30 years...and, now 10 years of SUP experience there...

It's one of the top 10 windsurf spots on the planet, IMO...which also makes it one of the most miserable places to camp on earth when it's blowing like stink...
If it's windy...and, you can bet that it will be...there will be some long faces on surfer's...at least those without wind toys and skills...
Jalama means "land of changing wind" in local Chumash language...a good blow clears the campground...

If you don't like wind...or, aren't prepared for lots of it...I'd stay south of Pt. C...
Spring is around the corner...my peach trees are blooming...the pink Jasmine is starting...etc...

There are definitely big sharks in the area...I've personally seen a 25'er just south of the campground...we circled it 5 times in a helicopter...our first thought was it was a submarine from Vandenberg AFB...

Depending on sand bars...which aren't good right now...it can be anywhere from a kinda gnarly fun shape...to Hawaiian power that is board busting/body busting heavy...I've made plenty of trips to the ER in Lompoc...seen plenty of heli-vacs as well...
I took Zane there a few years ago and he was impressed with the power...bring your "A" game...

This high tech lightbox gallery should give you a pretty good feel for the spot...

Hint: the "J" burger is pretty darn good with Paleo style lettuce wrap, too...and, go easy on the onions before surfing...;-)

http://blog.surfingsports.com/jahlama

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:03:19 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »
You got any pics of the whitey??
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »
You got any pics of the whitey??
They have a certain style in Jalama, because they're special, and rich~
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:30:16 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »
VERY SHARKY  PRETTY DICEY
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
Jalama is great.  Great camping, and yes other campers do share their spot.  We missed the lottery pick one day, with our 36' motorhome and a group of guys who got a spot, asked if we wanted to share their space.  We got there 28' MH and our 36'er in one site.  It is a long way out to take a chance on getting a site.  Monday thru Thursday, there is a good chance to get one.  We have driven up on Wednesday from SB left a tent up and then came back on Friday with the MH.
The burgers are very good.
The beach break is great and Tarantulas can fire.  Its a walk down there, but worth it. 
If the wind is down, surf will be good.
I have surfed, sailed and sup'd there. Bring it all cause you can use it all.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

kneecapSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can get reservations now. Also,  there's little cabins you can rent up on the bluff which look nice.

Jalama, as had been mentioned,  can be absolutely magical. I go up there and disappear from time to time as there's no cell service and no one can find you.
Fall always seems to be the best time spring gets really windy. The last time i stayed there in the spring the wind was blowing 50 by 10 am.

The Jalama Burger is a must have so thanks to Wardog for that pic!

The surf can be very punishing to really fun. On a big NW there's sneaker sets that will clean out the lineup. I prefer a SW.when it's big or low tide Tarantulas can be world class. I've gotten some great waves there but have paid the price in boards and skin on that reef.

There's been plenty of great days they're when i didn't even paddle or surf as it's just a place where you can get your Zen on.

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
Hey guys,

I asked about seeing sharks up in Jalama so I thought I'd share my story. Two weeks ago a buddy and I made it up to Jalama. Wow. Beautiful! I recommend all Californian's check it out. SUP'ing obviously wasn't a problem. Less crowded lineup than Mexico. 

Anyways, It was Saturday and it began to rain so I paddled in. While sitting in the car 50 years from the beach I watched the ocean. While day dreaming I came too when the largest fin I have ever seen emerged just past the break. It had to have been close to 3 feet tall by 2 feet wide. It began to thrash around and make quite the commotion before diving deeper and disappearing from my sight. (It never came up for air) My buddy called me a kook and dismissed it as an orca. I approached the ranger and he said he has never seen an Orca at Jalama in the years he has worked there.

An hour later a fisherman 100 yards north said he saw something way too big to be a dolphin but too fast to be a whale.

I guess there out there  :-\ :-\ :-\
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:13 AM »
   It could have been an ill tempered sea bass.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
I windsurfed there many years ago and it felt wild.. very wild.  Can't imagine SUSing there but as these pics show, the wind relaxes a little sometimes.  Water temp felt wicked cold with the wind.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:43 AM »
Fabulous place, every time I've been there it's too windy to surf, but fun windsurfing. I'll have to take my sup windsurfing gear along this summer. I haven't been there for many years.

Just for reference, you can roughly estimate the size of a Great White by multiplying visible first dorsal fin size by 5 or 6. Of course the apparent size is hard to estimate unless it's really close to you, and sharks vary their surface swimming a lot. The shoulder of the fin might be exposed, or just the tip. A better surface estimate is double the length between first dorsal fin and caudal fin (tail).

Naturally, the observer bias is considerable. Your buddy was probably wishful thinking, though there certainly could be Orcas in the area. If there are, there probably aren't any big sharks. The seal-eating Orcas kill them and leave them, the fish-eating Orcas leave nothing but bloody foam. Sharks are smarter than they seem, when a pod shows up they split. Even from the Farallons. A few years ago the shark-killing behavior was considered somewhat mythical. Not anymore.

Overly dramatic, but well supported with a lot more evidence now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9I_DcSbZjI

Incidentally, all the Orcas that have been seen killing great whites are females, whether they leave them or eat them. I always knew females of any species are more dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:06:57 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal