Author Topic: JP Australia 8'2" 32" widebody pro: Need some advise on paddling out  (Read 5552 times)

Sup_Ergo_Sum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings all: I just got the JP wide body pro. I am finding that it is very slow/heavy to paddle out, especially to get through beach break when you need to accelerate to get past a couple back to back body slammers. As well I find that it is really tricky to paddle straight when heading out.  It tends to want to veer left and right. (its pretty easy to paddle into waves though).My other 2 boards are an 8'5" Lopez Sweetie Pie (awesome board, paddles very quickly) and the Starboard Seven Eleven 7'11 x 30" (a bit of a sea slug). I weigh about 71kg(155lbs) and am 176cm(5'10"). Any thoughts on things that might improve the paddling performance? surf stance vs parallel stance? Long strokes vs short? big paddle head vs small? Stand more forward or back ? Thanks!!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JP Australia 8'2" 32" widebody pro: Need some advise on paddling out
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »
Short strokes will get you moving quicker.  Surf stance is easier with smaller boards and lets you really dig quickly on your strong side. Too far back and you're sinking the tail, putting on the brakes. Too far forward and you'll bury the nose. The more you paddle it, the easier you'll find the sweet spot on the board. Try to keep your paddle as vertical as possible to reduce the yaw when paddling.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:42 AM »
It's too wide for your weight. That's why it feels sluggish paddling. You should be paddling something 29 wide or less and it would fly paddling.

Now if you weighed 210 lbs you would feel different about it.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:42:19 AM »
I paddle with more control on my right side.
When on a short curvy board, I paddle out on my right side exclusively.
In a modified surf stance, I weight my right rail and paddle with a "C"stoke, as Kaya says... in short fast strokes, not digging very deep (it will pull you over)

On my right side, the blade angle in the C stroke looks like this:

\       paddle is angled so it is pulling slightly towards the nose of the board on the catch
   |       it straightens out briefly in the middle out your stroke
   /       the paddle turns so the end of the stroke pulls the tail to the right

Not as dramatic as it sound, but if you practice on flat-water, so you can concentrate only on the stroke, it is pretty easy to learn.

Having said that.... the width to length, coupled with pulled in nose and tail are a very tough combo to get anywhere fast ;)

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »
It's too wide for your weight. That's why it feels sluggish paddling. You should be paddling something 29 wide or less and it would fly paddling.

What he said...I'm a big proponent of larger boards, but not disproportionally WIDE boards.  If you divide the length of your board in inches by the width you get an aspect ratio of 3.06.  Take my big JP Fusion 10'8" x 34" comes out to a "slender" 3.76.   Also at 155 you need to be down around 125 ltrs and if you are a youngster, even less.  And I'm the big. Big board guy.

In a modified surf stance, I weight my right rail and paddle with a "C"stoke, as Kaya says... in short fast strokes, not digging very deep (it will pull you over)

\       paddle is angled so it is pulling slightly towards the nose of the board on the catch

Not as dramatic as it sound, but if you practice on flat-water, so you can concentrate only on the stroke, it is pretty easy to learn.

Having said that.... the width to length, coupled with pulled in nose and tail are a very tough combo to get anywhere fast ;)

What he said....but seriously not only will this stroke solve your problem immediately with the current board, it will transform your riding when you get the correct size board.  As an exercise, you should try to be in full surf stance (not modified) almost all the time: going out, surf stance, catching wave, surf stance, resting, you guessed it surf stance.  Ok if you want to rest parallel stance.. but just briefly.  The more you do it, the more inferior parallel stance will become to you and you'll use this stroke and stance to become a transcendent rider.  People will clamor to give you free swag and make product endorsements.  If nothing else you will be able to rule the white water and get a few hoots from the proners as you do battle.  That's way better than free swag.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
I weigh about 150 and have two short boards; a King's 7'11" x 31.25 x 117 liters and a Rawson 8'2" x 32 x 130 liters.

The King's is similar to your Starboard in that it is also "a bit of a sea slug to paddle". The King's seems to respond best to a narrow stance slightly forward of the handle and a modified surf stance all the time switching to full surf stance going over chop.

The Rawson, contrary to conventional folk wisdom, prefers a wider parallel stance when paddling out and a modified kung fu stance when catching waves. It is much more stable than the King's in funky conditions.

Thanks to good advice here I ended up with the smallest possible paddle - previous generation small wiki. Both of my small boards need the higher cadence. The BIG paddle I tried first was SO wrong!

Am running both as quads and discovered through experimentation that larger fins helped with both stability and performance.

My only advice would be to listen to everything from everybody, and then experiment and see what works for you on a short chunky board. 8) 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Sup_Ergo_Sum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:58:13 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments! There's a bit of swell and I'm looking forward to test some of this stuff out tomorrow.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »

What he said...I'm a big proponent of larger boards, but not disproportionally WIDE boards.  If you divide the length of your board in inches by the width you get an aspect ratio of 3.06.  Take my big JP Fusion 10'8" x 34" comes out to a "slender" 3.76.   Also at 155 you need to be down around 125 ltrs and if you are a youngster, even less.  And I'm the big. Big board guy.

What he said....but seriously not only will this stroke solve your problem immediately with the current board, it will transform your riding when you get the correct size board.  As an exercise, you should try to be in full surf stance (not modified) almost all the time: going out, surf stance, catching wave, surf stance, resting, you guessed it surf stance.  Ok if you want to rest parallel stance.. but just briefly.  The more you do it, the more inferior parallel stance will become to you and you'll use this stroke and stance to become a transcendent rider.  People will clamor to give you free swag and make product endorsements.  If nothing else you will be able to rule the white water and get a few hoots from the proners as you do battle.  That's way better than free swag.

Full surf stance all of the time?  Not sure about that one. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal