Author Topic: Kia's The SUP Movie  (Read 4451 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Kia's The SUP Movie
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
I threw in $20 to the Kickstarter thing for Kia's movie. The $20 got me a fee download and it is money well spent. I got the download yesterday and it is an incredible movie. Of course, 90% is Kia doing his unbelievable moves on the best waves imaginable.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kia's The SUP Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
Best SUP film ever.. and it's now on iTunes..  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
$4.99 to rent on Apple TV. I know what I'm renting tonight  ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »
Who the heck is Kia?  ;D

I know you mean kai. I've been waiting for this to come out.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:39:24 AM »
They better start sending out the other stuff they promised. I kicked in $100. Haven't seen anything yet....... >:( :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
I watched it last night. It was excellent. Feel good vibe throughout the entire thing and lots and lots of great surfing. It's all airs and aggressive surfing since it follows Kai, Zane, Connor, Mo, Kody and Noah. Has some ridiculous barrels plus some good footage of Kai at Jaws. Well made film. Worth the $13 to buy from iTunes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:53 AM »
I saw it at the BOP. Nice film, well done. Kai said his aim was for a movie you could point to when friends ask "why do your stand up paddle."  I think it's too narrow for that, but it's a good movie.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:49:48 AM »
Kia's movie might not show my friends 'why I stand up paddle', but it does show them that stand up paddle surfing is real surfing. Personally, I like H2mexicO better, now I just have to figure out where in Baja they surfed.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »
Kia? Say what?! I was wondering the same thing until my brain got around to telling me it was probably Kai. :P I'm looking forward to watching that movie too!

Who the heck is Kia?  ;D

I know you mean kai. I've been waiting for this to come out.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »
It's a beautifully done movie, I'm glad I kicked in on Kickstarter. I'll enjoy watching it again. I think when a movie director is blessed with someone of the caliber of Kai that they would have to be extraordinarily disciplined to avoid overusing him. There's nothing wrong with the movie, there's just a disconnect between the goal Kai set for it, and what the movie is. If it weren't for that I'd just be saying wow, great movie.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
Have to admit I'm a little disappointed in how this has been handled. If you kicked in more than the basic download so far your feeling a bit hosed. Premiere's done, digital out, now on iTunes but nothing sent out yet. I understand the physical production and such but show some love to the folks that backed you more. If they were going to take this long to get it squared away at least send the download link out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
I should have said "I'll enjoy seeing it again when I finally get whatever they plan to send me." It's a common problem with Kickstarter--not just this effort. You raise some money, and that's all very nice, but now it's a long time since the money's been spent, and there's these people who expect you to send them something. They go from appreciated supporters to pain in the ass liabilities.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
Have to admit I'm a little disappointed in how this has been handled. If you kicked in more than the basic download so far your feeling a bit hosed. Premiere's done, digital out, now on iTunes but nothing sent out yet. I understand the physical production and such but show some love to the folks that backed you more. If they were going to take this long to get it squared away at least send the download link out.

That's some b******t. They estimated delivery in Oct 2014, boo-hoo'ed in November that there were song clearance issues, then said, "any day now" at the beginning of January. Now, Jan. 30, the backers sit with nothing to show meanwhile the rest of the world can get it on iTunes for $12.99. Bad organization, bad business. I've backed other Kickstarters (not this one thankfully), and I can tell you that the guys who do well and are repeatedly funded 100%+ are the ones that bust their humps to deliver on their promises, even if it bites into their budget. Kai's name is enough to secure a good amount of funding for just about anything, but don't be surprised if his next Kickstarter isn't embraced as heartily.

The Oatmeal can show everyone how it's done:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens?ref=nav_search
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »
A shame really. They get the creative right but the production, not so much. Kai I might back again, not so sure on the Poor Boyz.

Side story....My granddaughter (5 yrs old) has some weird fixation on Kai. Has for a year or so. Part of the reason I backed it at $100 (signed poster for her) Earlier tonight she was sitting in my lap watching the video that includes Kai's recent air drop at Jaws. "Hey....that's my cousin Kai! I wish I could surf big curly waves like that, first I need to learn to swim good, then I have to be able to hold my breathe under water for a long time, then I have to learn to surf curly waves."

No idea where the cousin part came from... :)

My wife was giving her a bath later and she was ducking under and just staying under until she comes up gasping. My wife asked her what the heck she was doing and she replies "practicing"...... ;D
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal