Author Topic: Over Naish  (Read 15839 times)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Over Naish
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
I guess part of the challenge is to find the board that is right for you. 

whether moving to a different board would make the ride even better.
This is the mystery of surfboards and what keeps us all intrigued. 45 years of "what if" has been a cornerstone of my life.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:45 PM »
I guess part of the challenge is to find the board that is right for you. 

whether moving to a different board would make the ride even better.
This is the mystery of surfboards and what keeps us all intrigued. 45 years of "what if" has been a cornerstone of my life.

I think a lot of people have Board ADD and don't spend enough time learning how to figure out what they have.  Everyone is looking for the next big thing.  But then again, variety is the spice of life.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:39 PM »
Bummer on the X32.

I surf in central Florida  and my Bill Foote custom is 8'6 x 32 fish type shape. I had him model it after a JP wide surf 8.8 model which have a lot of good reviews for various conditions on the south of the equator forum.  He put a slight double concave in the middle and slight V in the tail with a double concave.  To me at 190-195lbs and 5'10, this thing is a blast still after a year and a half.  To me it is fast and turns as hard as I want it to.

I've looked at a number of Bills boards that have V in front of the fins and they all seem to transition to flat before the tail. I'm not sure what this is for, but it seems to work really well.  I do know the only board I ever hated was one that had a lot of V all the way through the tail. Well, I wasn't really that fond of the first Laird boards either I guess. Especially after I dragged one from Plymouth to Provincetown.

You might wonder why I don't just ask Bill since I see him almost every day that there's good surf. I'm reasonably certain that I'd get a better answer if I asked him how to make a Bouillabaisse, and I don't think he cooks.

Talldude, I still have one of the 11'6" Nalus, theoretically it's Dianes board, and it's a fine surfboard for a lot of conditions. Harold knew what he was up to.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:06:42 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »
I think a lot of people have Board ADD and don't spend enough time learning how to figure out what they have.  Everyone is looking for the next big thing.  But then again, variety is the spice of life.

In the past year and a half that I've lived in CA, I've bought (and sold) 23 boards. That sounds pretty insane when I type it and then read it back. I guess technically 24 since I have a custom on order from Infinity right now. I think I'm guilty of looking for the next big thing, or at least something that "clicked". To my credit, the last board I had, I owned for about 8 months which is a record for me. Only sold it to put down a deposit on my new board. Owning that many different boards of all shapes and sizes has led me to what I think I will really, really like in a board and something that will work in a wide range of conditions.

cantSUPenough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »

In the past year and a half that I've lived in CA, I've bought (and sold) 23 boards.

And I thought I was spending too much time SUPing... ;)  The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem ;)  I clearly need to start looking for another board.
Sunova Flow 8'7" & Speed 8'8" + 8'10"
Deep Minion 7'10"
Naish 8'8" Hokua X32 and 14' Jav
And others...

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »

In the past year and a half that I've lived in CA, I've bought (and sold) 23 boards.

And I thought I was spending too much time SUPing... ;)  The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem ;)  I clearly need to start looking for another board.

I should clarify, my better half is also into stand up paddling so I always need to keep an eye open for anything that may suit her too. She's no longer surprised when I come home with a new board. She can come home with as many pairs of shoes as she wants, it's sort of an unspoken agreement.   ;)

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
kaya... you don't need a board that works in a wide range of conditions.... you already have a different board for every conceivable condition ;D

I chalk this A.D.D'ness to the rapid evolution in SUPdom today. We are reliving the "Shortboard Revolution" and every shipment we are like little kids at Christmas: we LOVE our new toy.... till the next present is handed to us and we throw the 1st over our shoulder and embrace the next one. In the late 60's's we were buying new boards every few weeks, as our current one became yesterdays news.

All too soon, the SUP benchmarks will be set, and the next two generations will ride the same boards for decades.... like a well worn longboard.

I for one, am super stoked at the wide range of directions that SUP can take.... we will not be getting stale anytime soon ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yup, Johnny... perfect... whenever I played golf, I would give my wife matching funds to spend... she was like "when are you playing golf again?"  ;D

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
Exactly, Rick. I was talking to Dave Boehne when I ordered my board about the evolution in boards and he drew very similar parallels to what you said. On top of that, you have every company watching what everyone else is doing. They're trying the same things or taking a design and tweaking it, giving it their own spin. It's pretty fun to watch and even more fun to be in the middle of where it's happening.

Part of my insanity is due to living here. In New England a couple years ago, you almost knew every board that popped up on Craigslist and who owned it. The used board market is just insane out here. It's so easy to find crazy prototypes or cheap deals. I stopped into Infinity tonight on my way home and I literally almost bought a used Blurr just because it was almost too cheap not too. I couldn't justify it, however, if it's still there on Monday it's coming home with me.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
In the past year and a half that I've lived in CA, I've bought (and sold) 23 boards. That sounds pretty insane when I type it and then read it back. I guess technically 24 since I have a custom on order from Infinity right now. I think I'm guilty of looking for the next big thing, or at least something that "clicked".

A year and half that is like 540 days. Given that there are only 1/4 of the days when the waves are actually decent/worth it to surf. That is 135 ish days of surfing days and you've had 24 surf boards. So you've rode each of them for average of 6 days, even if you say that a 1/3 of the time was good enough to go out and surf, that is 178 days, 8 days per board.

How many girlfriends did you go through during your high school year?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:59 PM »
Kdogg, Q. How many boards are enough?   A. Just one more.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:10:40 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »
Kdogg, Q. How many boards are enough?   A. Just one more.
In other words
How's your beer?Ahhhh....tastes like another.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
Quote from: jumpfrom13k link=topic=26278.msg270343#msg270343 date= 1422680781

A year and half that is like 540 days. Given that there are only 1/4 of the days when the waves are actually decent/worth it to surf. That is 135 ish days of surfing days and you've had 24 surf boards. So you've rode each of them for average of 6 days, even if you say that a 1/3 of the time was good enough to go out and surf, that is 178 days, 8 days per board.

How many girlfriends did you go through during your high school year?
[/quote

That's a lot of math! Sounds even crazier when you break it down like that. I should have further clarified that there are race boards in that number, quite a few actually.

And I had 4 high school years,  not one, so my number is probably 4 times greater than you'd expect. 

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
I ended up trading boards for a 9' x 32 cannibal assassin. Local Shaper, CoreVac Strong. We had a very good day out of the last New England storm and the new SUP rode great. I thought the whole idea for getting the X32 was to glide across the mush and be able to work the sections. Not being able to sell the boards on Craig's List limited my options but it worked out. I need this to work in whatever conditions inspire me to go out. I disagree that you can't tell how a board is going to ride after the first (good) day. I gave up quickly that the X32 would work in our typical dribble and went back to my Mana, but when it didn't work for me in the best surf we get, I was ready to bail. That's just my personal experience. It's still in the shop, without a scratch, if you want one for half the price of new. They are real proud of them.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal