Author Topic: Over Naish  (Read 15838 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Over Naish
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
Hmm. As a small old guy with a 32" wide board in my quiver I refuse to take responsibility for Robbie's Porsche addiction.

Why would anyone want a 32" wide board that is almost five inches thick at the stringer? And according to the sea breeze brothers SUCKS THE HAIRY WAZOO!

It's gotta be the millions of little guys. NOT!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
Yeah, I think they are trying to overcome the width with a lot of rocker and V. 

You little guys need to stop buying 32 wide boards and grow a pair! Let them shape these 32 wide boards for true big boys. (I personally know several small guys pussing out on 32 wide boards. If you want easy, go sit down in a kayak  ;D).

Yeah! DW........ Bam!.......   Squat to pee?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »
I gotta say, it worked well for this 190+, South Florida intermediate straight out of the box.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
Agree on the 8'8" X32.  What a waste of epoxy.  Worst board I have ever ridden. I am looking to trade mine as well after 2 underwhelming sessions.

Anyone want to buy it?. 😜

great ad Don :o
apparently you have not inherited your brothers advertising genius  ;)  ;D ;D

Creek that was tongue in cheek..I'll try and sell it to some port sap who isn't on the 'Zone  thankfully it didn't cost me much thanks to Liquid Dreams and a trade of a few clunkers.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »

I agree.

Now if they had shaped it for 200-300 lb surfers only, they wouldn't need to even think about throwing extra rocker and V in it. Because a true big boy, could make a flatter, faster, board rip with ease.

Where it goes in the crapper, is trying to make it work for everyone. You little guys need to stop buying 32 wide boards and grow a pair! Let them shape these 32 wide boards for true big boys. (I personally know several small guys pussing out on 32 wide boards. If you want easy, go sit down in a kayak  ;D).

I agree.

Now if they had shaped it for 200-300 lb surfers only, they wouldn't need to even think about throwing extra rocker and V in it. Because a true big boy, could make a flatter, faster, board rip with ease.

Where it goes in the crapper, is trying to make it work for everyone. You little guys need to stop buying 32 wide boards and grow a pair! Let them shape these 32 wide boards for true big boys. (I personally know several small guys pussing out on 32 wide boards. If you want easy, go sit down in a kayak  ;D).

Come on, don't be shy.  What do you really think?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

cantSUPenough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »
What am I missing?  I have the 8'8" X32 LE and love it.  The first few sessions were tough, but now I am very happy with it.  But maybe I just don't get it and there is a much better board out there for me.  I am 90 kg (200 lb and 6'3") and have been SUPing for a year (frequently) and surfing many more.  I am in Australia (Westerport/Flinders) so maybe it is due to different conditions (but it is often windy so the width is helpful).  I bought it so I would have much more maneuverability on the wave.  My other main board is a 9'5" SB widepoint - that feels very heavy now (in and out of the water).
Sunova Flow 8'7" & Speed 8'8" + 8'10"
Deep Minion 7'10"
Naish 8'8" Hokua X32 and 14' Jav
And others...

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
I think  for me it just wasn't high performance enough at 32" wide.  My other board is a Hobie Raw 8'11" x 29" with a surfier shape.  One thing I couldn't believe was how slow it surfed compared to my Hobie and now my 8'7" Jimmy Lewis Kwad That Naish was a slug for me, I couldn't keep up with the sections

maybe it was just me, but I have surfed many SUPs and that Naish Hokua X32 was one of the worst I ever tried.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

cantSUPenough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
I am not a star surfer (I have surfed 9' mals for quite a few years), so I may not know what I am missing - but I like the idea of more speed etc.  Can I ask what you weigh - could that be a difference?
Deep Minion 7'10"
And others...

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
I'm not surprised that you weren't happy with the X32 after being used to a 29" wide board.  Even one inch makes a difference, three would make a huge difference. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
My old 11'6 Nalu is 29" wide and a lot of rocker but almost no V. Aside from being too thick in the tail, that board surfs amazingly good.  Quick rail to rail like a shorter board.  I tried the new version of the same board.  It has a lot of V and is 32" wide. It's a dog, and surfed like crap. Being 6'7 and 240# I can through around big boards pretty good.  It's all relative, I can stand on a 110 liter board and sink in to my knees.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

cantSUPenough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Transitioning from my 9'5" to the 8'8" was a bit of a challenge, and now the 9'5" feels like a dog.  In fact, I often fall off the first couple of turns because it just doesn't go where I expect it.  So I imagine going from 29" to 32" would be similar.  Right now I think I would struggle on 8'8" x 29" - but I would like to try (in good conditions).
Deep Minion 7'10"
And others...

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »
Bummer on the X32.

I surf in central Florida  and my Bill Foote custom is 8'6 x 32 fish type shape. I had him model it after a JP wide surf 8.8 model which have a lot of good reviews for various conditions on the south of the equator forum.  He put a slight double concave in the middle and slight V in the tail with a double concave.  To me at 190-195lbs and 5'10, this thing is a blast still after a year and a half.  To me it is fast and turns as hard as I want it to.

My reasoning for this board here. I moved away from prone surfing the regular narrower type surf boards and went to wide fish boards here years ago and have not looked back. Just had more fun on these type boards. I love my Hynson Black night quads and Von Sol shadows so I wanted a SU surfboard similar.  I can hang out with the longboarders and get much longer rides.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
I was actually interested in the 7'10 version of the Hokua X32, but couldn't find a demo and was afraid of the width.  I'm actually having a custom board shaped with a similar idea in mind.  7'4 X 30"  Similar in idea, but not the extreme wideness.  Lots of rocker and V.  Width, rocker and V will make it kind of slow, but that can hopefully be overcome by pumping it on a wave.  The same idea as prone short boards; they don't go unless you pump them.  I hope my idea works similar.  My shaper thinks he can make it work. 

Ralph tried to find me a board with those dimensions, but there doesn't seem to be anything that is not a wide tail.  I don't want another wide tail board.  They are great, but not for me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:35:26 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
One mans food is another mans poison. We all need to remember that this is all very personal. I can't count how many times I've had folks tell me what a dog a board was or how amazing and I felt the exact opposite when I tried it. Some things just don't seem to make sense. Even though size can lead you in a direction it's not just size that matters,....somehow, sometimes, a board just fits. I swapped my 8-4 x 34 Vec, a board I find easy to make work with a guy who is a pretty good surfer (better than me anyway) but smaller by about 50lbs, still a big guy by most standards. He was on a 10-3 x 29 Starboard Pro and said he didn't like it. Said he had to work it too hard to get anything out of it and it was unstable. He got on my board and amazingly enough struggled...couldn't get used to turning it. Missed a bunch of waves (somewhat expected) and wiped out a bunch...looked kind of kooky even. I expected to have a hard time with his Starboard, stood up caught the 1st wave I paddled for and had a blast. I was surprised to find it fairly stable despite its lower volume and 29". I fell a few times but I always fall. I had to work to stay upright between sets, but on a wave it felt great. We swapped back and he asked how the heck I could surf the Vec and if I wanted to buy the Starboard since I surfed it so well. If I hadn't recently bought the Vec I might have.

It even happens with downwind boards. When brother Bill did the downwind showcase in 2009 I tried admins 14' Foote (very cool documentation of the build here on the zone BTW) and I can't think of many boards that I've felt so comfortable on. Admin despite his eating habits is about 2/3 my weight and far better balance so you wouldn't think a board for him would be a board I'd like.

Bottom line as my Dad always said " There's an ass for every toilet seat"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:00:27 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

cantSUPenough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
I guess part of the challenge is to find the board that is right for you. 

I keep reading that you should demo boards before you buy, but it probably took 5 sessions (or more) to get used to the X32 - the conditions varied, and I had to get used to it.  So unless you have time to get used to a board it is hard to say that it is right for you.  And then there is the ongoing discussion about which fins to use (quad or thruster and the size/quality of the fins).  So, I personally don't think it is a Naish issue or an X32 issue - but I would love to know, with some degree of confidence, whether moving to a different board would make the ride even better.
Deep Minion 7'10"
And others...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal