Author Topic: Great Jaws video  (Read 5605 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great Jaws video
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:05:18 PM »
Different angles, great edit and mind blowing surfing.  The level is rising fast every time people are out there.  Even a shot of young Kai on a SUB  You'll dig it.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Great Jaws video
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »

headmount -

WOW!!!! That was a great video!  Thanks for sharing your stories, photos and video's!  I just love this stuff!

Do you think the Safety Air Vests that most of the surfers were wearing is the reason the surfing level is rising so fast?

I don't think i've evere seen surfing like that EVER.  Those air drops and tube rides were just remarkable!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »

headmount -

WOW!!!! That was a great video!  Thanks for sharing your stories, photos and video's!  I just love this stuff!

Do you think the Safety Air Vests that most of the surfers were wearing is the reason the surfing level is rising so fast?

I don't think i've evere seen surfing like that EVER.  Those air drops and tube rides were just remarkable!

Well as someone else mentioned in the other Jaws vid thread, there just aren't that many quality waves coming through and there are many guys out there and if they are out there, they're pretty good.  So by the time any of them bag a wave, they're so hungry and salivating that they go big. 

The tube attempts were spectacular.  One guy charged into a tube with no hope but had the body position of someone who had it made in the shade.  But the top turn by Kai was the best for me.  He's studied Laird who also does that and knows the line.  But it's a high risk line because of the chop on the upper quarter of the wave.  It's much safer, smoother,  down low and that's why most are riding there.  But the high line sets you up for the tube.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
Man that is unreal, some of those guys look like they're fading it a little just to get a bit deeper, unbelievable.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
I think there are at least 10 best tubes of the year in that video. It is unbelievable to me that there are that many surfers that can surf at that level.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
The drop at 1:58 is about as gone as the guitar work in the soundtrack.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks hm... that was a great vid... I couldn't help but do screen grabs of amazing moments

I provided a little narration... since this is the closest I'm getting to that wave ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
Kai's air drop is amazing as is all the action but Shane Dorian at 5:25.....Wow what a ride!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:42:40 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
To me, this clip that Stoneaxe just posted is the one.
Amazing edit with a really good soundtrack!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
To me, this clip that Stoneaxe just posted is the one.
Amazing edit with a really good soundtrack!
I agree.  The music was much better and the angles were as well.  Albee Layer rips.  Liked that moment after a hellacious drop where he pulls up high, goes into a soul arch and knows he has this one made.  The tail skitter air drop by Kai on a SUB was also awesome.  He didn't make the section but if the wave had stayed open, he would have.  How these guys stay glued to the board is really amazing.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »
So I have a question w/ re to all the big wave progress over the last several years.

Essentially paddling in has caught up to towing on a lot of days (except for XXXL)
I thought for a while that SUBs would be the way to go, but on alot of days the wind factors-in, and negates a paddle advantage (x for Kai)

That Dorian drop at Belaharra still is unreal to me.

I know that all the support skis, vests and whatnot IS better.

But My Question is....Did GUN Shapes change that much????....they seem thicker in the middle, but the outline and rails same as old school....Everyone is running quads... I believe to help "gently" correct an air-drop misalignment where a single/thruster would over-bite....maybe the rocker is flatter?

I dunno, maybe if you put that many chargers out there on old Brewers, they would make as many...but it's been funny to watch the windsurfing-to-tow-to-paddle retroaction esp at Peahi 
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
  How these guys stay glued to the board is really amazing.

I was thinking exactly the same...does Gorilla make a surfboard wax? Holy gecko batman!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
So I have a question w/ re to all the big wave progress over the last several years.

Essentially paddling in has caught up to towing on a lot of days (except for XXXL)
I thought for a while that SUBs would be the way to go, but on alot of days the wind factors-in, and negates a paddle advantage (x for Kai)

That Dorian drop at Belaharra still is unreal to me.

I know that all the support skis, vests and whatnot IS better.

But My Question is....Did GUN Shapes change that much????....they seem thicker in the middle, but the outline and rails same as old school....Everyone is running quads... I believe to help "gently" correct an air-drop misalignment where a single/thruster would over-bite....maybe the rocker is flatter?

I dunno, maybe if you put that many chargers out there on old Brewers, they would make as many...but it's been funny to watch the windsurfing-to-tow-to-paddle retroaction esp at Peahi
I think quite a few are going wider with their prone boards, getting up as wide as 23.  Heard Kai's SUB was only an inch wider than his prone.  Not sure about foil changes you're correct about quads

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
Bob

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
This takeoff by Kai reminds me of a conversation I had with Haley at Mavericks.  I asked why no SUP's in the Mavericks competition?

He replied "We would embarrass them.  I can't say that I would win the competition but I know how to catch waves here and could easily spot, line up and catch at least 2 waves per heat vs. their typical one wave.  All I would need would be to be in the top 3 of 5 per heat.  I could almost guarantee to be in the finals every time.  Probably not win, but be in the finals.  And what would this say about SUP?"

Kai's recovery required him to transition from planing to flying and back to planing.  A lot of front foot control.  Living Like Jay only he sticks the landing.  If he keeps this up he is going to start embarrassing people  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:43:57 PM by Beasho »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard