Author Topic: Smaller Surf SUPs for Bigger Guys  (Read 13161 times)

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Smaller Surf SUPs for Bigger Guys
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »
I'm 45 years old, 6' 2", and about 210lbs.  Starting to do some comparissons on smaller surf SUPs.  Been paddling for about 3 years now in South Florida, mainly racing & touring.  I normally paddle a Bark Laird 14 and an older model Fanatic Fly 12.6 (the white one with the red stripe).  SUP surfing was alway aggravating for me as I always seem to heavy for the boards I tried.  Then I got a Boga Todos... a 10.2 x 33 or so.  Not a lot of rocker, but I could catch small stuff, and slower rollers.  The big thing was that the board at least let me start to get some footwork skills and such and built my confidence for catching little waves.  However, will very little rocker it can pearl pretty easy, and it's hard to catch faster moving waves with it.  I spent this past weekend surfing with out gang of paddlers and got to jump on a few boards that used to give me fits, and tried one that I wasn't even sure if I could handle.  I surfed a Starboard Whopper (don't recall the details, but it's pretty short a more rocker than I have on the Todos) and had a blast on it.  Then I got on a Fanatatic 9.5 Allwave and loved it.  I caught more waves on that board than I ever have.  I fell a bunch as well, but mainly because I was trying to push my limits on it with footwork and turns.  Anyway, any bigger guys out there using the Allwave, or other similar sized boards?  I liked the 9.5 length, and it seems that it's 170 liters might be about the magic number for me.  I'm in Florida, so we don't the big stuff here.  I'm not looking to do anything crazy, just knee to waist stuff when it actually shows up for us.  Any suggestions or experiences to share would be much appreciated.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Smaller Surf SUPs for Bigger Guys
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »
I'm the opposite of a bigger guy, and this isn't exactly a "smaller" board, but based on PonoBill's review, this thing surfs unreal.....

http://www.ponostyle.com/foote-production-boards/

http://foote-surfboards.com/board-styles/production-sup/

I have no affiliation with these guys...just keeping an eye on what they're up to!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:14:27 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:23:20 AM »
i think the Whopper is 10*34, still a pretty sizable board.  i used to own a board that size...great to start out with, but they're basically barges that don't turn very well.  i'm just about your size, and have owned Fanatic AW's before. If you tried it and liked it, that should be all that matters. nothing is more important than your own personal demo. i think you could certainly go a bit smaller than that 9.5 AW, e.g., Starboard Hero (9*33), Simmons-shapes (great in smaller waves and you can easily go sub-9 ft), but unless you can demo those boards first, why not just get the tried-n-true? 

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
Search around on this site.  You'll find plenty of quality commentary that's already been made to fill in the details you're looking for.  Supthecreek is a bigger guy and is a fan of the Fanatic boards, so I'd start by looking at his posts and going from there. 
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »
hey Weeble... it's kind of hard to search accurately here, so it took a while to come up with my 8'10 review.... lots of banter on it about Allwave performance, durability and such.

I think you are right on track going with the 9'5.... it will be a great transition board. Very stable, durable and really fun to surf... I was on mine 9'5 for a year and totally loved it. It is a great flat-water board as well... great for creeks and estuaries that your raceboard won't fit into.

I'll keep looking for my 9'6 review and link it.

here's the 8'10

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,20552.0.html

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
At 235 I got 25#'s on you and I'm very comfortable on a 9'2" 150L Riviera Turbo Nugg.  I think 170L is a lot.  My Infinity is 10' 170L, it surfs well but it is too much volume.  I haven't tried the Allwave, but I have heard great things.  At your weight I would think you could be comfortable on 130-140L board. A lot depends on the shape of the board and the distribution of volume.  I demoed an 8'6" 141L Infinity Phoenix, and it was more stable than my 170L board.  The Simmons shape let's you go smaller than you would think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »
i think the Whopper is 10*34, still a pretty sizable board.  i used to own a board that size...great to start out with, but they're basically barges that don't turn very well. demo those boards first, why not just get the tried-n-true?

Beached , I'd say your way off base on the Whopper.  Have you ever surfed one? Just because it has similar dimensions to another board you surfed does not mean it will surf the same.  The Whopper is pretty thinned out at the rails and although wide, is not very thick.  It is 168 liters, which is not super huge.  Regardless of the dimensions, the Whopper turns really nice, and I have not heard one good surfer who surfed it say it doesn't surf well. If you're a big guy, I would highly recommend the Whopper, it is a blast.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
Lots of choices these days which is great, especially at your size. I've got a couple inches and 60+lbs on you so what I think is a big guys board will differ from what you'll need. Your best bet of course is to demo but if your looking for something that will work well in smaller waves where you can get in early for a longer ride I'd look for something between 9' and 10' with thinned out rails and nose, volume under 160l with the rocker to work on shorter period waves.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
weeble.... there is a tendency around here these days to recommend shorter, thinner, less volume.

Apparently everyone is forgetting how they got to this point.
We all rode big boards and progressed smaller if we felt the urge. Some are happy with comfort and enjoy the cruise of a bigger board and have no desire to go smaller.

As a beginner on surf SUP.... take your time and go with a size that will give you the most fun and let you learn on a big enough board to make it easy.
yeah, yeah... I'll probably get slammed for saying "take the easy path" but I have always been a big fan of being on a big enough board that you can concentrate on surfing.... not balancing.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 10:05:51 AM »
The thing I've found with this forum is that you have to be careful getting input when it comes to SUS vs SUP.  SUP flat-water, essentially the same world wide.  SUS, whole nother animal.  Most of the folks imploring you to "downsize" are SUSing in near perfect, enviable conditions.  Ultra smooth, long period,dry hair paddle out channels etc.etc.  If you are SUSing where wind chop and swell are common partners you are benefitted by looking at things more pragmatically.  It would be great if folks would disclose not just what they ride, but also where, along with personal stats as well.  Age and height, have a lot to with the equation beyond just weight.  In the winter, I'm up in north Florida, so as we get open ocean swells, even that will effect advice compared to your location in south as you are blocked by the Bahamas' and won't get the same kind of swell. More than likely, when you get waves, you are going to get chop along with it, so stability would be paramount.  Additionally,  in short period, choppy mess, the ability to do a last second,180 pivot and go is a critical tool to have in the holster.   Oddly with chop, the likelihood of you being able to accomplish this without falling can go DOWN with a smaller, less stable board.  Larger,  teardrop boards like the Starboard Whopper are perfect platforms for dealing with FL slop.  Since you have height you can "leverage" that with your paddle, to get the board to do what you want when it comes to surfing the wave, so bigger won't be as much of an issue compared to some one of similar weight and shorter stature.  Stability also allows you to enjoy more time on the water.  With my JP Fusion I can stay out for 3-4 hours no problem in very rough conditions.  It also has a place to mount a small gas grill when there's no surf.  I'd make sure you are not getting the whopper "extra"  36" wide, that would be the Olivia Jensen of surfboards.  From what I've read the 2015 Whopper is also reshaped to make it an even better surfer, so I'd try to get one of those if able. 
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
Weeble, you're displacing 96 liters with your body weight.  Based on your described experience level, you're in the market for a board with between 145L and 125L.  The distribution of those liters is dependent on your stability, surf experience, type of surfing you do, and the break you'll be riding most. JayInSoCal is right.  We'd all sing the chorus of demo if you can. I'm partial to the SUP sports products for durability lightness and surfability, but everyone is different and everyone has access to different products. 

At an optimistic 245#, I've enjoyed boards from 180L down to 140L but after trying quite a few, I've settled in on between 165 and 160L as my happy place.  Demo rides help you dial those liters in, and gives your brain and balance a reference for how they should be distributed.

(and Standuped makes excellent points to consider)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
I personally love checking out all the options out there.  I had a blast going through the process of ordering my SIMSUP from Kirk, and am currently on the hunt for a second board to round my quiver.  I plan to demo as much as I can before buying.

Here are some other options in a similar vein-ish as the Whopper & Allwave (these often come in either production or custom):

Foote Trinity (as posted above): http://foote-surfboards.com/board-styles/production-sup/

Infinity Wide Aquatic:  http://www.infinitysurf.com/sup/wide-aquatic/

SUP Sports Stoke (Wide or X-wide): http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/stoke-series/

King's Super Simmons: http://www.kingspaddlesports.com/supersimmons/

Lots of other options out there too.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »
+1 what Standuped and STC said, as well as what others have said about the pack rush to go smaller. I surf from South Beach to Cocoa. Started on a 10.6 C4, then went to a 9.6 Allwave, currently on a 9.1x31 Hokua. Along the way I've had occasion to use my gf's 9.3 and now 8.5 prowave and in Costa Rica we rented a 9.0 Mactavish and an 8.5 Chelu. The boards we used in CR were 130 and 96 ltr, respectively and no problem but in SoFl windchop I can't even stand on her 8.5 prowave, which is 109ltr. So far the Hokua at 150ltr has given this 5.10 200lb intermediate the happiest trade-off between work and maneuverability and it's not bad when things do clean up.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
i think the Whopper is 10*34, still a pretty sizable board.  i used to own a board that size...great to start out with, but they're basically barges that don't turn very well. demo those boards first, why not just get the tried-n-true?

Beached , I'd say your way off base on the Whopper.  Have you ever surfed one? Just because it has similar dimensions to another board you surfed does not mean it will surf the same.  The Whopper is pretty thinned out at the rails and although wide, is not very thick.  It is 168 liters, which is not super huge.  Regardless of the dimensions, the Whopper turns really nice, and I have not heard one good surfer who surfed it say it doesn't surf well. If you're a big guy, I would highly recommend the Whopper, it is a blast.

yeah, i should've said 'my 10*34 was a barge...'.  I haven't surfed the Whopper, just made a (dumb) assumption. A lot of folks think the Hero doesn't surf well either, and I know that's not true. i still think he can go smaller than a Whopper as his next step, but that's just IMO.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »
We are generally in the same weight, height, experience ?? category. I have already decided that my downward limit is 130L and my upward limit is 160L.

I was going to keep my Vernor at 9'32.75" for a year then get as bullet proof a board as I could to go further.  The Vernor is already a grizzled veteran at 8 months. I may sell it for salvage, or keep it as a beater if my wife doesn't become enraged at the number of boards hanging around.

Having been on the mid 9 to 10 foot Mana and Jimmy Lewis, I know I don't want much more than 9 feet for turning and sprightliness. The 9'5" Mana felt barge-ey to me.  I liked the JL Stryker a lot better than the Mana at 9'5", but it still felt a bit too long. The question is, how short and how wide?

So far, I have been thinking 9'2" Prowave, or a custom Hammer at 8'6" and 32 inches wide.  The Prowave would be a challenge, but the impeccable construction and durability are definitely a plus. The L41 boards made locally are tempting, just don't know how solid. The L41 I tried was like a wave catching dream, which you would expect for a board made for local conditions. I don't want a ding magnet any more, my Vernor cured me of that, and I will gladly sacrifice some performance for durable construction now.

If I ever go down the coast, I will see if I can demo the stock 8'5" Hammer in Santa Barbara.

I still haven't entirely mastered the Vernor, so I have a couple of months, but now that my torn left knee is getting a lot better, I can see I am progressing again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:57:15 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal