Author Topic: SUP leash for Surf  (Read 10732 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
SUP leash for Surf
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
Broke my leash in head high surf last week. Ouch. Reef action, rail damage, long swim. No fun.
As often happens leash broke where the leash inserts into the swivel.
Any recommendations on best leashes for surf please?
The last thread is 7 years old.
I see that one company makes hand tied leashes still. Hotline.

Also, i have not tried a coiled leash but see lots of warnings about using them in surf. What are folks thoughts there?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: SUP leash for Surf
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 01:03:48 AM »
Who made your leash that broke?

I've only been surfing a year and a half and I've been looking for the ultimate leash.

It amazes me that companies make leashes that break. I don't go along with the any leash can break theory. It is possible to make an unbreakable leash.

I found early on that coiled leashes are not good in surf because they lay on the deck and you end up stepping on it all the time.

My first leash was made by Creatures but the velcro didn't hold up and after a few months actually let go a couple times so I switched to Dakine which uses a higher quality velcro and has a slightly longer leg strap that holds better.

I go with the shortest leash possible. I found that going longer than you need puts excess strain on the leash if the wave happens to take off with the board. I get dragged a lot less, plus it makes it easier to retrieve the board.

I'd like to hear what the experienced big wave guys are using.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:00:30 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:10 AM »
I use a 9' FCS leash that is partly coiled so the whole thing isn't dragging in the water. So far so good. Been using it down here in Mexico all winter with no issues. Been taking some bombs on the head lately with the big swells we've been getting and it's still hanging in there.

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
Here is a pretty good discussion of leashes from 2014. It actually started in 2012.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18684.0.html

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »
Well, I kinda go with the theory that ANY LEASH CAN BREAK! There's simply no sensible way and leashes can and do get cut by fins and always when you least need it to.
 I like a short leash too for the same reasons Badger does...  Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:22 AM »
It's certainly possible to make a leash that won't break, but you probably wouldn't buy it. It would look different, and that's a big problem for a mature product. In theory, in the event you get into conditions where you'd like your board to go it's own way, it would be nice if it did. Of course no leash currently sold has any kind of calibrated release, so that's just myth. Plenty of people have drowned with their leash stubbornly hanging on. Leashes are made the way they are because that's how they have been made.

The polyurethane rope would seem to be the weak spot, but in my experience it isn't. I have broken leashes in mid-rope, but mostly they break at the joints. One would think this would lead to some competitive advantage in designing leashes that don't break there, but this is another case of consumers not caring all that much about technical detail or feature set so that the largest market consists of people seeing something that looks familiar that is priced right. Leashes come with no instructions. I've seen them attached wrong many times. How many people know that leashes have key pockets--almost all of them do. A better question is why do they have key pockets since no one uses them and the pocket flap reduces the amount of velcro in contact of the leg cuff--which often pulls off as the velcro wears.

I don't want my leash to break--so I'm going to build them for myself that won't. I don't want my leash cuffs to pull off--like one did yesterday on a downwinder when I was half a mile offshore (I thought I was a lot closer until I looked at the map--my cuff pulled off about point 5). The number of people that care about that is probably too small to represent a viable market.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:38 AM »
The first thing I do with a new leash is cut off the key pocket flap. It covers up a good inch of velcro.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
I started a post "A Better Leash Design" 2 years ago (below).  Wetstuff hooked me up with the material 9.3mm cord and I can emphatically say:

This Leash Design Has NEVER failed

But, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself (for the moment).  I checked my data and over a period of 2 1/2 years SUS'ing I had 6 leash failures (at least).  As we know leash failures ruin your session, day, board or worse.  Since I implemented the thimble design I have had ZERO failures.

Here was my write up at the time.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18684.msg235438.html#msg235438
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:02:53 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
I recently had a near failure with smaller cord.  It was a 20 foot leash on my 12 foot gun.  I crashed on a 15+ foot wave and got pulled harder than I have ever felt.  But the leash held.   

I remembered reaching for the leash line as I was getting pulled and thinking "My god it feels like a pencil lead."

When I went home I decided to inspect the ends.  This is another advantage of this design.  You can see what's going on.  I unfurled the thimble and here is what I measured.

Original diameter of tail end:  7.37mm

Necking Diameter: 4.48 mm

Near failure specifications: 
The ratio of the Area squared, conservation of mass and assumption that the cord stretched uniformly suggests that the entire leash was stretched to a uniform diameter of 4.48 mm and its length increased by a factor of 2.7X = 54 feet.  Add my 12 foot board and I was cutting a 66 foot swath through the line up.  This would be a minimum assuming the necked material didn't recover at all.    Typically I am out alone so not to worry.  But holy schnockers. 

What did I do?  The cord appeared to be permanently deformed over the last 8 inches e.g. << 7.3 mm original tail end.  So I just cut off 8 inches and retied it all back together.  Back in business.  How bout them apples?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:27:50 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
Here is a version of my design made by my neighbor.  He had broken two leashes including a new Crow Hailey.  Surprised me but he is a big guy ~ 220 lbs and rides a 10' x 34" wide big guy board.

I sent him the specs and he ordered up the parts from McMaster Carr (I am not sure where he got his cord). 

1/2" Polyurethane with hand sized plastic thimble.  This will be interesting to see where the failure mode extends to?

I am going to predict that the leash will fail last :o
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:00:55 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
I think there's a difference between a good downwind/racing leash and a surf leash. For one thing, swivels are probably unnecessary. I'm not even sure they are necessary for surf, but if they are strong enough then fine. The little barrel swivels pressed in Creatures leashes with no crossbar are simply nutty. Stainless eye, whipped tie, and heatshrink to cover. I'm leaving the heatshrink off until I test a bunch, but that's what I'm making this morning.

I'm also writing my name, email and phone number on my boards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »

I was thinking the same thing only I was going to have a little plastic plaque engraved at the local trophy shop. They don't cost much at all to have made. I'd stick it somewhere on my board just in case it got loose and went out to sea.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
For one thing, swivels are probably unnecessary. I'm not even sure they are necessary for surf, but if they are strong enough then fine. . . .

I wondered this myself.  BUT since I am able to re-use my components I stepped up and ordered some of these nice 530 lbs rated ball bearing swivels.  $12 shipped for a 4 pack.  Still just using ONE swivel on the board end of the design.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
 What about leashes with a waist harness rather than a leg cuff? I've had knee cuffs pull down my leg and go loose and the whip you get on an ankle cuff sucks..

I'm pretty sure Beasho uses one, anyone else using them in surf?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:44:43 PM by Kaihoe »

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »

What about leashes with a waist harness rather than a leg cuff? I've had knee cuffs pull down my leg and go loose and the whip you get on an ankle cuff sucks..

I'm pretty sure Brasho uses one, anyone else using them in surf?

Tried Corran's.  It broke.  But had mileage on it...  Good for whitewater, not in surf.  I see the app. in there with good stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal