Author Topic: Slow learner in Fast company  (Read 7742 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Slow learner in Fast company
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
Of course they were yellow.  No Naish guy would jump on a red buoy.  Only a Fanatic would do that.

I see what you did there.

I hesitate to type this because I can here the screams of "KOOK!!!!" already, but has anyone ever considered doubling up a leash for a DW? I'm sure man parts are shriveling at the mere suggestion, but is there a technical reason not to? It seems preferable to a miles+ swim in heavy swell.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »
It's been done, but the tangling issue is substantial. Downwinding is often done with very flimsy leashes. My first DW leashes were boogie board coiled leashes with a section of paracord so the leash wouldn't drag if it got in the water. I have a bunch of useless KeNalu leashes that are based on that, which we decided were too dangerous to sell (the swaged part that clamped the polyurethane was made from steel that corroded). The problem is not generally that the leashes are too weak--I've never heard of a DW leash breaking. It's that they don't usually need to do much, so they get ignored--until they need to perform and don't. The cuff that pulled off my calf was so worn that it wouldn't resist a moderate tug.

For myself, the key is probably making the leash as foolproof as possible. I raise the ante of foolishness all the time, but I'm giving it a go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
Of course they were yellow.  No Naish guy would jump on a red buoy.  Only a Fanatic would do that.

I believe he swam past 3 red channel marker buoys before he found a yellow one.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
Went with PBill yesterday on a southside run and he had revised his leash so that instead of attaching to anywhere on his leg, it was attached to his camelback with a carabiner.  I thought it looked pretty damn good.  He fell a few times and I saw his board go hard with the wind.  Leash held up great.  Also it had an added plus of not being on the deck at all so that any footwork was clear.   He was doing well and only fell because he was taking chances with high risk banking moves with no knee bend.  But in general he was gliding great which I would at least partly attribute to having a clear leashless deck.  he's on to something.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
I'd bend my knees more but I couldn't get them back straight. I need another shot of juice in the left one. I'm holding the rail climbing stairs again. The shot still works great just one per year. I'm going to put off surgery until it doesn't, but I think the useful period is getting a little shorter.

It's really great to do the whackier stuff when there's not such a rush to get to the landing. I'm going to have to discipine myself to not just try to go fast and try to glide well. Fun either way, but I don't think I learn much trying to go fast, and as out time showed yesterday, it was just as fast goofing around. Average speed was 6.3 mph VS 6.1 for the Makena run the other day. Of course with the kids in the group doing 8+ it doesn't really matter what I do unless I add an Evinrude.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
I have a coil least with a carabiner and a quick release from Badfish SUP that connects with a PFD or hydration to avoid ankle or calf straps. It's made for river SUP and so the thickness of the leash is closer to a boogie board or short board leash. I wouldn't trust it with an unlimited board in strong wind. It would be good to get a downwind specific leash with a carabiner rather than a velcro ankle/calf strap.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
Take off the cuff (unscrew the cuff end of the swivel with a fin key and pull), run a piece of mucho strong thin line (vectra or the equivalent) and tie on a 'biner. I just ordered a couple of these to attach the leash to both board and camelback.

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststca4.html

Six bucks for 316 stainless. Not bad.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »

I'm going to have to discipine myself to not just try to go fast and try to glide well. Fun either way, but I don't think I learn much trying to go fast, and as out time showed yesterday, it was just as fast goofing around.

I think your right. I have been going with my friend, who is super super slow, and so I have been practicing only paddling once every 10 seconds and really working on steering only. I can actually get going pretty good by really concentrating on glide only. I think I remember Larry talking about this way back...anyway its great training.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »

I'm going to have to discipine myself to not just try to go fast and try to glide well. Fun either way, but I don't think I learn much trying to go fast, and as out time showed yesterday, it was just as fast goofing around.

I think your right. I have been going with my friend, who is super super slow, and so I have been practicing only paddling once every 10 seconds and really working on steering only. I can actually get going pretty good by really concentrating on glide only. I think I remember Larry talking about this way back...anyway its great training.

You never said I was 'super slow' to me before. Or, maybe you'll say, no, no! It's my friend C___d! Not you Cove. But I know what you're doing.

And you mean you're kicking my ass by only paddling once every 10 seconds!? Now I'm just an angry old man. A slow, angry old man.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »
Damn Cove, I didn't mean to embarrass you!  haha...obviously I was not talking about you.  It takes every bit I got to stay ahead of you.  Seriously though, going slow helps you go fast.  At least I hope so, because its not nearly as fun!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
No good wind now but probably in about a month I'll be chasing Cove again.  Usually not this close anymore.  As they say in Boston, he's wicked fast.  And even faster is Southbay who's entering the big league.  They are the fast company and only go with old farts like me and PBill because... I can't think of why.  Anyway here's the pic to hold all while we grow green mold on our toes... or rather PBill's toes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »
Because we shuttle so well. They love the way I tie their boards on my rack. My feet are looking great by the way. Most of the big gouges have healed. I might seek employment as a foot model. Dr. Scholls is calling.

Now you know why I said we don't teach Greg nuttin'. I knew this was going to happen.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:30:52 PM by PonoBill »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »

No good wind now but probably in about a month I'll be chasing Cove again.

This steady west wind may be ideal for a run from  points west to Kihie Canoe Club. 

It's 5 miles from McGregor point to KCC.  Another 5 from Olowalu to McGregor.  Be safe.  As in - don't listen to PB. 

Make sure you have a safe harbor to land in, the shorebreak can be knarly on a low tide etc.  Take phones etc.  Good leashes please, that is a LONG swim. 

I talk about safety so much in these posts because it's an international forum and who knows what dumbass tourist may read this and give it a whirl.  (did I mention don't listen to PB yet?).

It may be rainy and dreary, I don't know.  I'll be working anyway.  But if it's blue skies and whitecaps I'd be all over it.  That's a nice chunk of water.  Whale's abound.
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
Safety is my middle name.

Any dangerous habits I picked up were from Admin and Chan. Blame Chan -- I'm having stickers made.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal