Author Topic: My attempt at narrating a downwinder - Video  (Read 6166 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
My attempt at narrating a downwinder - Video
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
Okay, I'm not Jeremy Riggs, or Robert Stehlik or DJ for that matter, but I thought I'd have a stab at making a narrated downwind vid, and lay down the gauntlet for others to try their hand at this, as I'm sure they can beat the crap out of this one. Let me first say, this was challenging (speaking and paddling at the same time) and there is a lot of grunting, swearing (which I edited out) and general repeating the same phrase over and over again. Criticism will be justly accepted.  ;)

http://youtu.be/VqknE3of8qc
Apologies for the Fogging again..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:47:45 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My attempt at narrating a downwinder - Video
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
Says it is private.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
Says it is private.
Apologies.. just made public so should work now
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:13 PM »
Off-shore, I like the effort. Looks like a great day and I think these narrated vids are fantastic teaching tools.  Only critique is that the GoPro is clearly making the swell look less impressive than it really is (as evidenced by your nice prolonged glides). I have the exact same issue. We had a 45 mph gem last week and the GoPro footage from a chest mount was somewhat underwhelming versus the real thing. Might be time to try to rig a DJ mount.

Is your F16 a V3? I've been in the market for a new DW board. I rode the bullet V2 last summer in the gorge. For my abilities and size, it was clearly the best board I've tried in big conditions. Just so easy in every way. However, a friend said the F16 V3 is even better.  Have you had the chance to compare the 2 boards?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:43:34 PM »
Thanks.. Great vid.. You had me smiling through most of that..  ;D

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 01:20:50 AM »

Is your F16 a V3? I've been in the market for a new DW board. I rode the bullet V2 last summer in the gorge. For my abilities and size, it was clearly the best board I've tried in big conditions. Just so easy in every way. However, a friend said the F16 V3 is even better.  Have you had the chance to compare the 2 boards?

Blue, if you are paddling the Sound and the Gorge, you might prefer the F16 over the 17'4" Bullets. But I'm thinking when you mentioned a Bullet V2, you were talking about the 14' version. An F16 is going to be a faster board than just about any 14' in real downwind conditions.

I have had a V2 and a 'V3' F16. I'm still loving my V3, which is 26" wide; the V2 was 27" if I recall. I do think that the 17' V1 Bullet is faster and is extremely versatile for rough water downwinders but in the short period swell that you're probably paddling in, it may not be worth the added hassle of the extra length, that is, if you were even considering the Bullet 17.

If you can afford one and locate one, a hollow board will not suck up water if damaged. It can be drained and repaired. A foam core board will just gain weight. Also, a light layup is the ticket. My F16 is 27 lbs +or - and the light weight is a huge advantage, not only paddling, but just handling a large board generally.

Beware of used Flow Sports production models, some of them may need to go on America's Greatest Loser because they seem to develop a weight problem. A scale will be your friend. And, lastly, remember that if you buy a 14', you can race in that class - you have to lock out the rudder if so equipped. If you're into a 16, or anything over 14', you're in the unlimited division.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:41:34 AM »
Off-shore, I like the effort. Looks like a great day and I think these narrated vids are fantastic teaching tools.  Only critique is that the GoPro is clearly making the swell look less impressive than it really is (as evidenced by your nice prolonged glides). I have the exact same issue. We had a 45 mph gem last week and the GoPro footage from a chest mount was somewhat underwhelming versus the real thing. Might be time to try to rig a DJ mount.

Thanks BC. Effort is the right word! And you are correct about the chest mount vs the DJ mount. I am working on something that I hope will help. Yes, my F16 is a v3 but with an extra outer layer of glass for boat loading and unloading, so it is actually the same weight as a Production Cobra F16. I have a buddy who has the Bullet 17 hollow Maui built board. I am not sure if it is a V1 or V2. We often swap boards and I like it a lot and I would agree in open ocean paddling over 25 knots it just goes and goes better than an F16v3. However for me in 20 knot+ conditions I love the F16v3 as an all round, all condition board and if I had to choose one I'd still go for the F16v3

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:15 AM »
Thanks.. Great vid.. You had me smiling through most of that..  ;D

Thanks DJ. I thought it might  ;) You have no idea how much I had to edit out for general cussing and stuff.. However thanks to you, my surf stance rocks now.. ;D

Now it's over you to you to show us how it is done!

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
Thanks Off-shore and Cove, The board I've tried is a 14' bullet V2 and I loved it.  If the F16 V3 is favorable vs the 14' bullet, then this is great to know. I don't care at all about the racing considerations as I rarely have the time to make it to more than one or 2 DW races a year. Really, it is all about the length and quality of the glides.  A 16' board will barely fit in my garage so 17' is out of the question. Sounds like the F16 is the ticket.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
OS, Loved the idea and execution of the video. Gauntlet has been laid down.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »
Thanks OS... entertaining narrative... it's nice to hear someone else talking to the audience through the GoPro....plus the huffing and puffing ;D.... more useful than music  ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
Climbed a mountain of a split snowboard with a gal, a mountain guide, right next to me carrying on a conversation.  Now understand that I live at sea level and tho this wasn't Colorado type altitude it was around 6-7 thousand feet elevation.  So she asks me a question and I couldn't manufacture a word and still proceed on the climb.  Could barely proceed without talking.

Anyway that's pretty ambitious to speak and paddle.  I've done a few narrations and always added them post edit although it does add great reality doing it as you go and is quite entertaining.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »
Nice video Off-Shore.  I will pass on your challenge of doing my own narration in a downwind in fear of me sounding like I’m having sex.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 05:36:13 AM »
Thanks Off-shore and Cove, The board I've tried is a 14' bullet V2 and I loved it.  If the F16 V3 is favorable vs the 14' bullet, then this is great to know. I don't care at all about the racing considerations as I rarely have the time to make it to more than one or 2 DW races a year. Really, it is all about the length and quality of the glides.  A 16' board will barely fit in my garage so 17' is out of the question. Sounds like the F16 is the ticket.

BC, I have paddled the SIC Bullet 14v2 in the vid below and I liked it. It is looser than the SIC F14 Wide Glide and gets longer easier glides than the F14. However it is not a patch on the F16v3.. If you have the space, and can afford it, I'd go for the F16v3

http://youtu.be/JrZ6MEN71AE

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
Check this guys, if you want show up a little professionalism here in the Zone. ;D

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14708
Laz

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal