Author Topic: California Dreaming (pics)  (Read 6998 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
California Dreaming (pics)
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
This weekend has been firing non-stop. 

Friday morning:  7 ft @ 20 seconds

Friday evening 10 ft @ 20 seconds (wind came up to ~ 12 mph dicey and intimidating just me and big wave Bart)

Saturday morning 10 ft @ 17 seconds (just me and the bigger wave enthusiasts)

Sunday morning 8 ft @ 15 seconds:  People more comfortable again.  Proners all showed back up.

I am worn OUT 8)

PS: The GoPro doesn't do justice to the size but I estimated the faces to be 7 to 14 feet in the batch below.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:04:02 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: California Dreaming (pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
And some more from Sunday morning 8 ft @ 15 seconds.  7 - 12 ft faces.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:18:47 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
I have been wearing a camelbak and including a GoPro (my first generation Hero) at the ready charged at all times.

Ideally this would be to capture sea-life or random excellent sessions based largely on feedback from this forum to tell the story with pictures

I am using a headmount stuffed into the camelbak and have found that yanking it OFF my head and holding it in my hand works better for 'selfies' which I think are more interesting than just bland, flattened out wave faces and the front of the board.  It is also handier to film fellow surfers on the waves.

A few questions/ideas  ???

What might be a way to have a portable, light weight selfie stick?  The paddle works great but I am trying to minimize the impact to normal surfing, store it in the camelbak and just 'click' the camera into place when necessary.  The headmount is pretty good, and stows well (see orange leash to camera above), but the lens gets salt fogged within a couple of rides (if you don't fall in).  It practically necessitates falling in before every filming session.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:33:45 PM by Beasho »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
Gracias & mahalos for sharing the stoke...not exactly the same size or quality of last year at this time when I did my Cali Dreaming blog post just after the passing that morning of local Santa Barbara master surfer/artist Robert Heeley...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/01/california-dreaming-2.html

Regardless, four hours to the South down in Santa Babylon we have been getting some nice surf...

A little vid clip fresh from this morning...don't mind the SUP shoulder hoppers galore...they were dealt with appropriately...;-)

http://youtu.be/EkDStExEhig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxI9Gsf3g-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1wKahAK5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-dD2vSS1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZeJRFERl0

‪#‎stokedforlife‬ ‪#‎paddlesurf‬ ‪#‎sup‬ ‪#‎stoked‬ ‪#‎santabarbara‬

(Content cops: add 5 more vid clips + 7 images to my account...;-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:14:18 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
Beasho, I've been carrying a mouth mount GoPro. (Everyone please refrain from discussing the potential teeth damage, it's like a mouth guard and is usually spit out when things get hairy anyway. Start another thread please and check out the hundreds of clips by people in way heavier stuff than I'll ever see. There, I feel better. )

I use it handheld too but mouth let's me keep it handy and hands free. I love the paddle mount but putting it on and off is near impossible.

I simply want a better and lower profile way to carry a Camera when I'm not using it. I'm considering one of the more tubular form factor cameras just so I could strap to to a leg or arm when I'm not using it. A GP with a float is like putting a brick in a pocket. Especially in Hawaii where some spots can get you in trouble for having a camera, I'd like to be able to stash it when I'm not using it but not leave it in the car.

This is the next "tail handle" problem to solve I think.

carvin carter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
Perhaps some sort of telescopic pole mount would work for you. Something that you could flick your wrist and have it extend after you're on the wave. I did a quick search and found Rhino Camera Mounts and you might at least get some food for thought from some of their gopro mounts.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »
Mouth mount GoPro, I'm finding it to be one of the best ways to capture what you want, here is a great example, sorry but it's not SUS'ing, just that old sport of windsurfing, but still way cool,,,,,,,, to me anyway.
Here's Levi Siver using a mouth mount, full screen is best.  You will be leaning in your seat along with the turns.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:48:10 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
I have to agree with the mouth mount being the best vantage for action.  I made one out of some thermo mold plastic.  I have been changing it as I discover what does and doesn't work.  Here are some suggestions:
- Mouth mount needs to be sturdy or you will get too much vibration
- Make it so the camera sits about chin level and as close to your face as you can
- Mold the part in your mouth around your lower teeth only.  If you do top and bottom, you won't be able to breathe.  Molding it around your teeth allows you to keep the mount in your mouth and talk/breathe.  I attach mine to a lanyard, but I find it's usually easier to just keep it in my mouth.
- As you are shaping it and letting it cool, keep it in your mouth and wiggle it around a lot, for around 20 mins.  If you skip this you'll find it might not fit since the plastic shrinks as it cools.

I had been concerned about it knocking teeth out, but it's almost like a mouth guard.  A direct hard hit to the camera might be an issue.  However, if the camera is close to your face and the camera gets hit, you were probably going lose some teeth anyway.  You could create a designated fail point.  I've taken some good falls with it and it hasn't been concerning (knock on wood).
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
What a great video. Thanks for sharing that. Do you use an off the shelf mouth mount or did you make yours like Jay?
Jay, what material do you use to set the mouth piece up? or maybe i should ask where do you get thermo mold plastic?
Can you show some pics.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
What a great video. Thanks for sharing that. Do you use an off the shelf mouth mount or did you make yours like Jay?
Jay, what material do you use to set the mouth piece up? or maybe i should ask where do you get thermo mold plastic?
Can you show some pics.

It's in this thread, it's an earlier version of mine, but you'll get the idea:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24103.0.html

You can get it from Amazon, it's really easy stuff to work with.  6oz's will be way more than you need:
http://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Moldable-Plastic-6-oz/dp/B004MFLU4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422246550&sr=8-2&keywords=instamorph
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:33:25 PM by JayInSoCal »
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »
Hey Cowboy, are you on Maui? I've seen a SUP guy here with a mouth mount. Lately at Tavares, but previously at Kanaha.

I'm working on a low profile paddle mount to replace the clumsy clamps. Beasho, send me your mailing address and I'll get one to you. They pop right onto a Kenalu and you can secure them with zip ties or tape.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
Beasho... I love your vids and pictures..... they cover different ground than most of us here and always interesting.

I did this one day, when I broke the mount off the board... I just stuffed the "Floaty Backdoor" in my mouth. Perfect!!!! (pic #1)
Takes very solid, vibration free shots anywhere you look. I tied my wetsuit leash pull to the safety loop of the GoPro. I have also used a neck lanyard for a "coach's whistle"

No problem wiping out, no leverage on your teeth like the commercial "Mouth Mount"

Easy to take out and hold in hand if you want during a wipeout. or for shooting pics.... but hand held vids have far more shaky.

wetstuff made a very cool mount that he sent me...( pic #2 ) I believe its made from hockey shoulder pads. He bolted a large metal plate to the back of the pads and welded a rod that positions the cam over the shoulder. I am going to have Geoff.C replace the rod with a longer one that will shoot from a higher angle. I call it the "Road Warrior" mount.... no one bothers you when you show up in this gear ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:25 PM »
I've got a big interest in different mounts but that last one takes the cake. The look is great, like Mad Max.  Still you have the problem when paddling of the body movement when paddling.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
Hey thanks to all who put the effort into the visual goodies to start my day.  Lots of blue stoke.

Looks like the head mounts give a great view and ease of use but the slightly from behind selfie is nicer.

That shoulder mount, short of stability issues, looks interesting as normal surfing remains possible.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:38 AM »
beasho... I forgot to mention how I position my "head mount"

I always wear it on the "backhand" side of my head... near the temple... aiming sharply down

if you think about where your face is aimed while riding it works.

if straight forward:
frontside the cam will be looking into the face of the wave most of the time... no board or real action
backside the cam will be looking semi shoreward ... no board or wave action

Aiming down on your "backhand" side:
frontside the cam sees the board, shoulder and lip
backside the cam sees board, shoulder and lip....on your waves, you might want to aim it less down to see the lip ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal