Author Topic: Battening down the hatches  (Read 33544 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battening down the hatches
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
Yeah I was one of those bone head guys who resisted having my safety shoved down my throat.  It was Ralph Nadar's vision and everyone knew he was a nutcase.  But all those things, especially the fines have turned me but the real nail in the coffin has been driving with PBill.  I get in his car and reach for that belt like it was my mommy.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
Clay Feeter just posted a great series of pics on his FB that show his porch, furniture and all, disappearing under a ton of drifting snow.  I think he's in Maine.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
Plows still haven't been down my street in Hyannis. A few photos from around the yard.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
Plows still haven't been down my street in Hyannis. A few photos from around the yard.
That's a big dump for sure....and that's an awful small blower. Did it really move all that snow? I want one.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 06:07:22 PM »

You're pissing in the wind with that snow blower. I just did 2+ foot with a 24" blower and I'm more beat up than any 4 hour sesh on my SUP!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:08:55 PM by piece of 8 »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »

You're pissing in the wind with that snow blower. I just did 2+ foot with a 24" blower and I'm more beat up than any 4 hour sesh on my SUP!
:) :) :) :) :)..........that's why I asked.
More I look, even chopping it down to little pieces........I want one even if it did that.
yeahhhh.....looking at the piles......some pretty big blocks up there.  ;D

As long as you guys still have power, here's something to look at besides snow.
  :) :) ......doesn't snow in Santa Cruz either.............. 8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:30:13 PM by lucabrasi »

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 05:44:19 AM »
Am Update from Hyannis;

Think of summer driving....cars everywhere.....you can get around,  most businesses have some parking lots cleared, but once you are off a main road....urfckd
Better for hiking or paddling
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:46 AM »
+1 piece of eight. My wrists and forearms are junk after two days of wrestling with mine. Good thing we played baseball once upon a time!

Finding my mailbox - good god almighty!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:55 AM »
For a theologian, I thought you would go with a capital "G" !
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
Eminence versus transcendence..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »
Oh,
   That's gonna bug me for a while...........  :-\
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Dad Kaya....that sucks.

Sawstop is a great tech but I'm one of the guys that Bill mentioned....1st thing that comes off my saw is the safety guard. I do wear safety goggles though and only use push sticks. Both learned the hard way.  I'm actually looking at cabinet saws as we speak. Planning on buying a fixer upper and renovating so perfect excuse to upgrade my saw (Rule #1 on the Man Card....EVERY project requires a new tool)  For what I can buy a Sawstop for I can get a really tricked out cabinet saw and get roller clamps and dogs for my rollout table and throw in a new router and a table for it to boot.

Creek is right....78 did make this one look like flurries. I was stuck at a friends house for 3 days without power. Only so many games of monopoly can be played.

This is one for the books though. 28" here....not fun shoveling with a weak arm even though the snow was pretty light. I normally kind of enjoy shoveling. Our drive is about 2200 sq ft. Very lucky to have a great neighbor that came over with his snowblower and did the second half....I should have procrastinated longer I guess... ;). At least he did the hard part near the street. He also brews absolutely awesome beer.....did I say he was a great neighbor?

My favorite breakfast spot on the south shore Arthur & Pats now requires a SUP for access. Just a little water came through the trashed seawall. I'm sure they'll be back in business this summer. A hardy crew new englanders near the water.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:03:19 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
PO8... that little electric Toro snow blower is going on 5 years weighs 35 lbs sells on Amazon for $279.00. a freaking little workhorse for the money. A friend had one and I laughed at it until I tried it then went out and bought one. I also had an Ariens snow blower at the time but ended up using the electric one more often. When I sold my house and moved to the Cape full time the Ariens stayed with the old house.

What I like about it most times it gets right down to the pavement. If you have a gravel/stone driveway don't bother it doesn't work that great. Some spots in the photos I had to break the snow down with a shovel then blow it away which is still easier than straight shoveling. So, yes... it can handle 26" of snow you just have to get creative and break the snow down with a shovel and use half the width. Normal snow storm with 8" no problem.

Btw... I'm the only driveway in the neighborhood that you can see the pavement, dry as a bone.

Great buy for the money.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
Lot to be said for wanky little electric tools. For one thing they tend to have a lot more torque than would be expected for given horsepower, mostly because the torque curve is very flat and starts high. I have a goofy electric pressure washer and big monster 6 HP gas one. Im not sure the gas one would start--I haven't used it for years. I have the same combo in Hood River and the same outcome--gas one sits and rots, the electric gets used.

I'm not really as boneheaded as that sounds. I bought gas powered ones years ago, then an electric here in Maui because I was too lazy to rebuild the gas one, then I liked it so well I got one for HR.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »
Weed thanks for that Toro snow blower recommendation.  Read many online reviews and they were great for this electric snowblower, finding one was really hard but found one today at Ace Hardware..wow what a great machine!

2 hrs later my driveways, walk ways, deck and one flat roof are all cleared of the 2 ft of snow and drifts that came yesterday and some of what still remained from the big storm last Monday.  I had to buy a 100' extension cord and used every inch of it.  Simple to use and so much less work than shoveling.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal