Author Topic: Battening down the hatches  (Read 33541 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battening down the hatches
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »
Blizzard of '78 was worth the hype.

I was in Hawaii, laughing my arse off  ;D

oops, my landlord is plowing... gotta go watch from my nice warm kitchen  ;D ;D

And it appears that you're still laughing.  That pic looks like the tunnel of snow that often defines the access road up to Mt Bachelor Oregon.  Guys would whip up there at warp speed to be the first on the lift on a powder day, spin out and careen around like some demolition derby, bouncing off those side walls of snow.  Driving has got to be ambitious.  Stay warm Sir Creek. 
Aloha, which means I'm in Hawaii and your not.http://www.standupzone.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »
I'm retarded as to how to use those icons that smile.  But I am smiling  and don't mean to be unsympathetic to the foul weather you guys have.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
As long as you guys still have power, here's something to look at besides snow.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
I'm sorry SW, but as much as we are "embracing the suck" around here, I can think of no worse torture than to sit on sand and stare at complete flatness.

I would be insane after 14 minutes.......But....Thanks for tryin!
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
Not hard:  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  >:(  :(  :o  8)  ???  ::)  :P  :-[  :-X  :-\  :-*  :'(

You dragged it onto the message area. You just click it and it shows you something like a colon and a parenthesis. You can even type your own like this: :P which is colon plus capital P with no spaces. 

We all have our crosses to bear. For example, since the surf is so-so and the wind direction sucks, I'm at home pressure washing the courtyard and walls at Ponohouse--the Maui equivalent of shovelling snow. Rough stuff.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:11:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »

Human sightings are minimal.  We just got a code red call about 3 cases of elevated CO.

Very few rescue or town trucks on the road

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
Yep. The only folks out are driving pickups with plows looking for work.

Check out my tabletop!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »
I'm at home pressure washing the courtyard and walls at Ponohouse--the Maui equivalent of shovelling snow. Rough stuff.
Well, looks like you maybe got the windows all splattered, better get those clean too.
Setting up for a muddy horrible mess out there in NE in a few weeks when that stuff all decides to melt in a day or two. Maybe a day of rain on top of it first.......

supthecreek

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
Outcast... good post. Thanks for the out side news, I never left the house today... along with most, thankfully.
Sounds like the good play if the cops and rescue are decorating snowbanks.

Thanks hm.... emotes? just a single click on the desired one smiley puts it right where your typing prompt is  ;)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »
My Dad was airlifted from Hyannis to Boston on Sunday afternoon after an accident with his circular saw removed 3 fingers from his left hand.  :-\ He was in Boston, in surgery, about an hour after it happened. I'm thankful it didn't happen a day or two later, who knows if he even would have made it to the hospital if the cops and ambulances can't even get around. Yikes. Fortunately he's already back at home and he told me that he even made the Cape Cod Times, not sure it's an article we'll be cutting out to save.

supthecreek

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
Geeeze Kaya... that sucks!!! I have way too many friends that have been altered by circular saws.... mostly fingers. I am glad he seems in good spirits and they took good care of him. It happens so quick, they don't even know it happened. Fark... You must be going nuts in Cali.

My thoughts are with you all my friend :'(

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 07:35:58 PM »
Thanks Creek. Yup, happened so fast that I don't even think he had time to process what actually happened. Hand surgeon reattached his middle and ring finger, didn't even bother with his index finger since it was so mangled. Could have been a lot worse and he knows that. Still beating himself up over being careless and rushing but he's staying positive and sounds a little better each day. Tough to be so far away but thankful it wasn't more serious and that he got the care he needed pretty quickly.  The EMT's in Brewster were outstanding. Hope everyone on the Cape is staying warm and safe. Some of the videos of the coast of outer Cape looked awful.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 08:05:30 PM »
Been there. done that. All it takes is a moment's inattention and you're on the way to the ER. Diane and I were just dating when I decided to spray the garage down with a fine haze of arterial blood. She's ever so much more calm about these things new--she'll find bloody footprints and just clean them up until she finds me. "You're bleeding--go outside".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
http://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop/the-technology

dont need to go there, do that.

dumb this device isn't installed on every circular saw.

read a piece about this technology a few years back and was shocked to read that, if mass-installed, the cost is cheap--i seem to remember <50 bux, with some scale.

sorry about your father kaya
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
Great tech, and it undoubtedly would save a lot of fingers, but seventeen hundred bucks for a contractor saw, and 2200 for the cabinet saw--there aren't many people who pay that kind of premium for safety. If you don't bypass the system and cut wood that's too wet then the cartridge will trigger, and that's 90 bucks plus a new blade--probably at least 30 bucks but maybe a lot more. If you want to do dados you need a special cartridge.

Seat belts in cars save a lot of lives, but until they were mandatory it was very rare for people to install them. And then they had to add alarms, ignition cut outs, and have police actively stop and fine people to get seat belt use to be even somewhat common.

Even basic blade guards would save a lot of injury, but the first thing most people do with a new saw is take the thing off.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:22:31 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal