Author Topic: Caught inside at Jaws  (Read 4313 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Caught inside at Jaws
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:27:03 AM »
The entire lineup getting caught inside on a big Jaws set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=BX-55O-T5Io

Don't know why the YouTube vid is not showing on the board.  The link still works though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:31:05 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Caught inside at Jaws
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
Would it be correct or incorrect to assume those guys are not leashed-in?

If not, must be a damn long swim to find your board.
If leashed -- yikes that must be even scarier..
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:41 AM »
Leashed, they want the skis to see the boards tombstoning. This is not a joke, it's how you get found and pulled out.

Also, with the rocks, one wave and you'd be buying a new 10'er. Watch people getting in and out at Jaws paddling. It'll give you new respect. Rocky as hell.

Kai got barreled on an SUP this week. It's in the Surfline review of the swell. Respect!

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
WOW
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:54 AM »
Yea, but I woud assume unleashed you could swim through the wave...
Does that mean all the guys in that video went over the falls?  Would be one hell of a mess..
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:33 AM »
If you watch the video you can see 1 person reach back and un strap his leash.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
There, fixed the link, here it is below.  If I had a dream like this, I think I would wake up screaming.

http://youtu.be/BX-55O-T5Io
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
The guy taking his leash off is  Tyler Larronde.  He comments on Facebook that he got through no problem and there was nothing behind that one.  No clue about his board.

Follow Dooma Photos for some great Jaws pics - he seems to know a lot of the guys

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »
That video is everywhere, which is kind of odd, since getting caught inside at Peahi is pretty common in mixed swell. The prone and SUP paddlers wear leashes, the tow-in guys generally don't because their boards are heavy and the fins are often super sharp. The leashes are super long so they have a prayer of getting deep enough into the face to avoid a ride over the falls. You don't have to go very far under the surface to get out of the river flowing up the face, but if you don't...

Peahi has been transformed from tow-in to paddle in--either laying down or standing up. You don't see much tow-in unless it's huge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
Yea, but I woud assume unleashed you could swim through the wave...
Does that mean all the guys in that video went over the falls?  Would be one hell of a mess..

My long time pal, Victor Lopez has been doing jet ski duty for Kai the last few years.  His stories are quite harrowing.  Some waves are flawless but others have sudden moguls.  The day of that video, even Kai got a heavy thrashing.  Having guys on sleds backing them up when they get in dire straits is part of the program.  There are several FB photographers here that have shown incredible shots.  One series was all super cringe wipe outs.  The mags, I'm sure will have some breathtaking shots in coming months of these past swell flurry. 

BTW when I've seen the cost of printing, I've come to have added appreciation for pubs like the Standup Journal. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
Yeah, it's THAT Lopez. If I had Victor as my guardian angle I might try something like that. No, wait, forget I said that. Maybe when I'm 95 and ready to go. My plan used to be faster cars each year after 70, but this could be an alternative.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:16 PM »
at 70.... you'll put that off a few more years  :)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal