Author Topic: Downwinding the "L2CC" run - Video  (Read 2515 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Downwinding the "L2CC" run - Video
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Yesterday we decided to try out a new run which we have dubbed the "L2CC Run" which is between two of our islands here. The Southerly Run, starts on the South West corner of Lamma Island and runs to the South Eastern tip of Cheung Chau Island, due west from it. Lamma Island 2 Cheung Chau Island. The run is around 10kms. In ain't no M2M or M2O, but it is the best we have here.. The vid starts and ends 1km offshore from each island.

This was done in a North Easterly wind while the swell was from the East, requiring quite a lot of work using the wind to catch runners downwind and then the swell to keep on course. Boards are SIC F16v3 and SIC F14 Wide Glide. You will see we had a challenging start, and a couple of clashes / near misses on the way over, with one of us following the runners and the other on the swell..

http://youtu.be/I5YiwPFz3O0
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwinding the "L2CC" run - Video
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:39 AM »
Nice ride Off-Shore, but a little disappointing @ 0:18 when crossing  boot wake, ;D
which board has the better glide with less effort?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:42:48 AM by supLaz »
Laz

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 03:30:46 AM »
Nice ride Off-Shore, but a little disappointing @ 0:18 when crossing  boot wake, ;D

supLaz: Haha.. It was disappointing for me too... it just came out of nowhere and literally launched me off the board  ;)

On the F14 vs the F16v3, well as it happens we swapped in the middle. This is the first time I've paddled in these conditions on the F14, and I had to stop after about 10 mins as I got too tired compared to the F16. The F14 is super stable due to its width and you can walk around it like it was your back patio. This means switching back and forward from parallel to surf stance is real easy. A great board for those starting out downwinding.

In these conditions, the F14 needed a lot more paddling that the F16 to get it going, and then it slowed down quicker so a lot more paddling in between glides was also required. In stronger wind conditions this may not be the case.

The friend who's board this is, is a super fit and physically strong paddler, and struggles with balance on the F16, so this is a great board for him. I say I had to stop, as I just found it a lot more effort than my F16 in these marginal conditions.

So to answer your question. The F16v3 has the better glide with less effort, as long as you can deal with the balance issues compared to the wider F14

Here's a short vid with me on board on the same run on the same day as the vid above

http://youtu.be/MnPW78iaYOE
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:45:43 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
Thanks for your detailed description,
how far is the shape of your F16v3 custom similar to the F16 Cobra-made version?
Laz

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Thanks for your detailed description,
how far is the shape of your F16v3 custom similar to the F16 Cobra-made version?

Side by side they look identical. Nothing that the eye can see that is different. However I think the Cobra board is a little wider.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:34 AM »

supLaz: Haha.. It was disappointing for me too... it just came out of nowhere and literally launched me off the board  ;)

keep paddling next time mate

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal