Author Topic: More Humble Pie - 20 years since I’ve been that scared  (Read 8735 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: More Humble Pie - 20 years since I’ve been that scared
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Impressive story.  I am most afraid of beach break going out and coming in, having had the slam and dunk experience grom style a few times to the great entertainment of the beach loungers.

I think if I saw beach break that is too ferocious, I would wait it out a while or maybe just go home rather than get caught up in it. 
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Maaaaan.  I know what it's like that close to shore and being in the wringer and helpless.  Glad you're ok.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
Sorry for the pounding Rick....

At high tide, That first/last 3 feet is the toughest....For the Maui guys, far worse than Big Beach Makena        Mostly cause the shorter period gives no let-up...the drop off and rip really "suck"

I pretty much always try to unleash for that last 3 feet, and do as you did coming in off/over the back and then run like hell with a hand-held leash ....Looks clumsy-stupid, as I always get tugged by the board for one or two, but at least I'm out of the dump-truck and on dry sand.    I think it's safer, and I've spear-chucked a paddle once cause that thing is another liability.   

Getting in, it's the "Hatteras toss" of throwing the board over the top and swimming to it.....but the Ocean always
finds a way to restore humility

I'm not sure that the tail is an easy fix though ....sorry, but it beats a vertebrae
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »

Sorry to hear about your sup torture.  The bright side is that you made it back.  Love your stories, stoke and reviews. 

HRS construction?  Maybe a new STC board review in the near future ;)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »
You don't half enjoy an adventure STC.....respect!

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »
Throughout my life. I've sought out older and wiser men to fill in some father figure gap.  When it comes to our shared passion, you are part of my twisted puzzle.

Your battle with the water, and temperature, sent a real humbling message to me.

RC

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 03:53:49 AM »
STC - That is indeed a humbling story, yet a great one to share. I've been up and down the East coast and experienced the shore break + suck / rip first hand. But thankfully it has been small, in the summer, and never with a board attached to my leg. I'm glad you made it back in one piece.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 06:32:42 AM »
it sounds like Saturday was a challenging  day all around. Lots of good waves here in SC, but short period a and quite a challenge if you chose to work the beach break. Still a great day when you can be in mother ocean in January.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 07:13:04 AM »
Cool that you paddled back out.  When a horse throws you ..you never put him in the barn letting him think he's now the boss.

I find the tail grip handy getting in but when getting rolled and mugged by shore pound without holding onto the board - it's disarmingly scary because the board is close enough to slap you also.  I also would not unleash - I donated one kiteboard the to Atlantic. One offering is enough,

Jim 
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 07:32:24 AM »
Yes, + respect for paddling back out. I got caught inside, for this first time (in big stuff) in my novice career, on Friday and didn't make it back out. Bailed on the first wave, but got pushed just far enough inside for the next few 10 to 12 footers to clean me up. I've never been ejected back out of the ocean for a ride on top of the white wash. I blew my wad with all my excitement and rapid, panic'd breathing. I knew I could make it back out, but the choppy conditions tipped the scale to much on risk vs reward. Now that my cherry is popped, and I know, first hand, what being 'caught inside' means, hopefully next time I can calm my breathing and heart rate. It was freaky, even with a PFD on my person.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
Great post.

Out here in the PAC NW we know all too well about short period beach break.

So many times I have spent almost my entire session's energy trying to get outside. Especially early in the year when I am not as conditioned to the action and the waves.

It is really hard on a SUP. If it has any size and the period is less than 6 seconds, I have given up in favor of a prone board. I figure if it takes more than 10 minutes to get back out to the break after a wave, it is not worth SUP surfing. The beauty of SUP is getting back out again fast to get another wave, once that is not possible I change equipment. (Plus, I am such a glutton I always ride to far in).

To comment on the fishermen, yeah the better fishermen understand that the best surf fishing is where we want to catch the rip out to the waves. I'd rather take a pounding then get a 1/0 in my arm though.

Make paddleboarding great again!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard