Author Topic: Innovation and Hype  (Read 6821 times)

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation and Hype
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
The responses to my question have been very interesting to read.

Raf - I get the whole racer thing, and in that regard, perhaps Naish and Co. are introducing new shapes, but those shapes are really standardized by the racing rules, as has been discussed before.  Why haven't they come out with a 13'4" touring sup? Or played around with different hull shapes as the kayak world has? I don't think the racing scene is as important in pushing the design envelope, rather it seems to be held to rigid conformity.

Creek - please keep the zone in the loop with your tomo vanguard style considerations. I read the entire 22 page long seabreeze discussion of the design, and I am intrigued.

Regarding innovation, what new materials or construction methods could potentially be put to use for sup that have been ignored to this point?

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:32 PM »
feet... the only one that really peaks my interest ...is the Sunova "Speed".... because it has a more pulled in tail and rocker.
I'd be able to go mid 8' and 3" narrower and not be stuck with a fat, flat tail  ;D ...

Not a feeling shared by most people pursuing these boards, but the one that makes most sense to me.
I'm looking to increase performance with less width and less swing weight.

I also gotta figure that "Kazuma" from Maui are very rip-able boards because they are made for real waves. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:34 PM »
Yeah, those Kazuma hapa boards will take a wave. Here's Randy Royse on his:

That looks like Mr. Headmount exiting over the top. No wonder his elbow hurt today. Randy sez he's saving up to get the rest of the board, he's only got the middle part so far.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:12:31 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 02:45:31 AM »
Yes, kazuma. I see what you mean...  ;)

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:09 AM »
I like it... the 3 "B's"... BIG board, BIG fish and BIG heels ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal