Author Topic: Overhead this weekend  (Read 15904 times)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Overhead this weekend
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »
JayInSoCal.

Usually the Gopro Freeze up issue comes from MicroSD card. Use high speed Micro SD and never use SanDisk. GoPro hates SanDisk for some reason, at our work we never trusted SanDisk. GoPro also hates those super high capacity 128GB&above Micro's as well. Use Class 10's and keep the capacity less than 32 GB. That should also make you be little more selective about what to film.

Also shooting in 4K, is kinda useless. Especially if you want to upload it to web. Film it in lower resolution but high frame rate, that also keeps things more steady and high frame rate makes thing easier when you want to edit later.

Is trail 6 mostly rights?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:06:31 PM by jumpfrom13k »

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
Tourmo was overhead this afternoon.  Pretty much the same thing you guys were seeing.  Big ones were closeouts, but a few medium ones were ok.  Lots of surfers in the water. 

Going there again tomorrow at dawn.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
JayInSoCal.

Usually the Gopro Freeze up issue comes from MicroSD card. Use high speed Micro SD and never use SanDisk. GoPro hates SanDisk for some reason, at our work we never trusted SanDisk. GoPro also hates those super high capacity 128GB&above Micro's as well. Use Class 10's and keep the capacity less than 32 GB. That should also make you be little more selective about what to film.

Also shooting in 4K, is kinda useless. Especially if you want to upload it to web. Film it in lower resolution but high frame rate, that also keeps things more steady and high frame rate makes thing easier when you want to edit later.

Is trail 6 mostly rights?

Thanks, I've read up about all that GoPro stuff and I thought I had it worked out, but it's been giving me issues lately.  I have the older Hero 3 Silver and have a feeling the quality control was iffy with the Hero 3's.  This is the second one, the first one had the same issue with different cards and happened all the time.  The micro SD I used was a class 10 32GB San Disk that has been working for years, but maybe it's biting the dust.  I hadn't heard about them not liking San Disk, maybe I'll try a different brand (recommendations?).  Trail 6 has a nice mix of rights and lefts, it's so spread out you can usually find what you are looking for.  There were some nice lefts today. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 05:59:47 AM »
Looking Good..
Wind is currently calm.
Tide is low first thing then filling in til noon.

Interval has shifted to 17 Sec or so.

So will be good as the tide fills in..

Should be head high to overhead..

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 05:31:29 PM »
Tourmo was the same again at dawn. 

Ended up staying outside when the closeouts (overhead) came through then moving inside and going for the medium sized ones (shoulder).

Finished up with a ride to the sand and left just as the parking lot was filling up.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
Anderson was soooo fun yesterday and Bolsa Main tower today was off the hook.....not too many out and they kept getting caught in the current...right in front of Main tower got some long bombs (lefts and rights)...Cliffs were walled walled walled......and CROWDED 8)
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:23 PM »
I hit the cliffs today from 11:00 to 1:15.  It keep getting bigger and bigger, lot's O walls but I found a few corners.  No one was out I had the place to myself just a few proners here and there. 
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:16 AM »
looked at tourmo saturday but couldn't quite convince myself to go out and get hammered repeatedly in the hopes of finding a corner that'd allow for a ride.  went to san o yesterday and had a blast.  it was packed as usual at the main peak but i paddled down to near the power plant with a buddy, where we had a bunch of lefts all to ourselves until the tide filled in.  very fun day.  will go look at tourmo again this morning but i doubt i'll go in.  i hate closeouts.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
Sunday was good,
I took the 9'8" to do the Tour from the Gap to go North
After yesterday on the 100L, 711 in side/offshore wind I needed a break.
There is a sand build up from the dredging at the Bolsa Jetty.
So between Seapoint and the Cliffs there were some Gems...

Just be patient...post some pics later..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 06:53:51 AM »
Very short session at Trails yesterday, Sunday.  Waves were about head high on the sets, but the shape was not that great.  Almost no lefts at all, goofyfoot here, some of the rights were OK though.  I was there at about 11:00 and was the only standup that I could see.  Had to leave pretty quickly because the wife was with me and we were on our way to San Diego. 

Earlier the same day, OCSurf and I rode some really small stuff in Newport for an hour or so.  So two sessions in one day!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:03:58 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 07:12:28 AM »
Wow, you guys scored! I had no time on Sat so was relegated to Sunday. South HB was inconsistent and sets were chest high at best. Can't really say it was walled but most sets were close-outs.

It was good to get wet and feel the sun on my face but I have to say your spots sounded better. 

Keep the vids & pics coming!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 07:19:32 AM »
Sunset Cliffs was  all-time . 5 to 8 ft faces, no wind, and very considtent. Saturday  was a zoo on every break, but Sunday  mellowed out pretty  good .

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »
Sunset Cliffs was  all-time . 5 to 8 ft faces, no wind, and very considtent. Saturday  was a zoo on every break, but Sunday  mellowed out pretty  good .

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
20 minute break between sets at Campus Point, but the morning was windless and clean and the set waves were spectacular.  Unfortunately every person with a board within 40 miles of Goleta was out there waiting for those same waves.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal