Author Topic: Paddling with Vertigo  (Read 7440 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Paddling with Vertigo
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
I have tinnitus but it has never bothered me other than its interference with other sounds. I miss stereo! Before the operation it used to warble, change tone, frequency, start, stop....now its just a constant hi pitched whine in my ear. I'm completely deaf on the left side...all hearing and vestibular organs removed, ear sewn closed. I'm always worried I come off as a snob on the water or something but the truth is I can't hear a F$#%ing thing out there unless someone is talking straight at my right ear.

For me SUP really has been it. I did all kinds of VRT for a few years pre-SUP and had little relief. Now I've found since getting back to relatively normal balance through SUP that if I don't get out and paddle at least a couple time/week my balance suffers, the longer I'm away the worse it gets. I'm toast at the moment. Back to having a hard time sleeping because of the vertigo I get when I close my eyes. I need a few weeks paddling in tough conditions to get things turned around.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »

I miss stereo!

For those who don't know, losing one side of hearing means you can't locate sounds.  Imagine hearing someone yell to warn you, but having no idea where the yell is coming from.  I briefly experienced it when the virus first hit me.  I lost full hearing on one side for a few days. My vestibular system was fully killed, but thankfully most of my hearing came back (along with some ringing). Not being able to locate sounds sources (even though you can hear them) was pretty disorienting.  Hell, I was just about hit by a car--I could hear it, but had no idea where it was.

Full props to you stoneaxe! Losing full vestibular function is one thing (and it SUCKS....worst 2 years of my life).  Losing full hearing on the same side is adding another layer to the sh-t sandwich.  It's inspiring that you are out on a SUP. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
I take every opportunity I can to turn folks that have balance issues onto SUP. I've heard it before that me being out there is inspiring but I don't see it that way myself. It's the sport itself that is amazing. I'm just extraordinarily lucky that my brother was nuts enough to think it might help. If I could put what it does in a pill I'd be able to retire and go hang with the Maui crew.... ;D. I had tried all the PT/VRT stuff....just didn't do all that much. I was still falling down and distrustful of my body, sucks when your senses are unreliable, flick a switch and my head would take a left. SUP simply changed all that. Not back completely to normal but I had my life back. I'm having balance issues now because I haven't been on the water for a bit because of other shite...sucks getting old.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »
Ringing in my ears is increasing.  Scares me.

I must be lucky.  Usually the voices in my head are so loud, I can't even hear the ringing...  8)

I must be cursed because I have both.  Though the inner voices were helpful in writing a book.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal