Author Topic: Travel help please!  (Read 3454 times)

robertl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Travel help please!
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
Headed to Costa Rica next Wednesday (tamarindo) and between me and my bro in law we're planning on bringing 1 longboard 2 midlengths and 1 shortboard.   The longest board is 9'0". I've never traveled with boards in tow and a few of these are my babies. I'm tempted to just leave em home for fear of damage. Any fool proof packing tips?  Do plan on some paddling but for that I'll just rent. 

Main thing is I don't wanna ruin my trip surfing waterlogged beaters. 

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
Re: Travel help please!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 11:46:08 PM »
Why are you going to CR in the winter?
Most surfers I know head to that region in the summer.

Does it get NW down there?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:43:34 AM »
I travel from Hong Kong to Bali with my SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" once a year. I take the fins out (of course) and just zip inside a standard padded board bag made to fit the board size, and have had no issues. Is a one stop flight. The last two times have been on different airlines (a regular one and a budget one) and neither times have I had any damage. I actually bought this board in Bali as I just got fed up either missing the good rentals as other people had them out, or having to settle for boards that were either too small, too long, too narrow or too beat up..  There is nothing like going to a sweet spot and having your own baby with you. 

What's fun about Bali is on arrival in the old airport everything (including your checked in luggage) had to go through an X-ray machine. Yep, on ARRIVAL. I think the X-ray machine was 36" wide.. so my SB just fitted through it.. Otherwise they may have had to rip off the deck pad to check for drugs or something..

I have other friends who wrap their boards in bubble wrap and THEN put inside their board bags. I've also seen people tape up the ends so the zips don't undo in transit and the board peak out and get dinged.

If you don't take a board, then take a leash and a paddle. I was in Florida this Christmas and rented a couple of boards on the coast, and 1, they did not supply a leash, and 2 their paddles were heavy aluminium shafted plastic bladed adjustables. It was still great to get out, but my own leash and paddle would have made the whole experience 100x better.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:46:22 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

OCsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »
I have traveled to Costa Rica 2 times and both times brought long boards.  If I were to go again I would just rent rather than pay the cost and the hassle of hauling a board through the airports.  There are plenty of rentals in Tamarindo.
On a side not this if the perfect time to go to Costa Rica.  Summer is the rainy season.
Focus 9-0 Smoothy
Rawson 8-8

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
summer is also the wave season
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

robertl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
Why are you going to CR in the winter?
Most surfers I know head to that region in the summer.

Does it get NW down there?

Turning 5oh on the 30th and I wanted to surf CR on my bday.  I prefer shoulder head high anyways and it looks like that's what it'll be for the most part.

robertl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:35 AM »
I travel from Hong Kong to Bali with my SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" once a year. I take the fins out (of course) and just zip inside a standard padded board bag made to fit the board size, and have had no issues. Is a one stop flight. The last two times have been on different airlines (a regular one and a budget one) and neither times have I had any damage. I actually bought this board in Bali as I just got fed up either missing the good rentals as other people had them out, or having to settle for boards that were either too small, too long, too narrow or too beat up..  There is nothing like going to a sweet spot and having your own baby with you. 

What's fun about Bali is on arrival in the old airport everything (including your checked in luggage) had to go through an X-ray machine. Yep, on ARRIVAL. I think the X-ray machine was 36" wide.. so my SB just fitted through it.. Otherwise they may have had to rip off the deck pad to check for drugs or something..

I have other friends who wrap their boards in bubble wrap and THEN put inside their board bags. I've also seen people tape up the ends so the zips don't undo in transit and the board peak out and get dinged.

If you don't take a board, then take a leash and a paddle. I was in Florida this Christmas and rented a couple of boards on the coast, and 1, they did not supply a leash, and 2 their paddles were heavy aluminium shafted plastic bladed adjustables. It was still great to get out, but my own leash and paddle would have made the whole experience 100x better.

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure and stuff a paddle in with the boards

robertl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:34:45 AM »
I have traveled to Costa Rica 2 times and both times brought long boards.  If I were to go again I would just rent rather than pay the cost and the hassle of hauling a board through the airports.  There are plenty of rentals in Tamarindo.
On a side not this if the perfect time to go to Costa Rica.  Summer is the rainy season.

Yep rain = no bueno.  Can't wait for the warm water. 

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

robertl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal