Author Topic: Standing comfort  (Read 10849 times)

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
  • Goodbye, Sunshine. Daddy misses you.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - katzkillz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Standing comfort
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:43 PM »
I have some issues associated with my time in the Marines that affect both my hips, and my feet. The hips are a bit easier to deal with while paddling, but, the feet seem to always suffer from fatigue, and that sort of stretch/cramp/burn sensation from when I first started.

I just finished with school and haven't been out in 2 years, and am getting back into it more frequently (several times a week for at least on hour, usually on flat-ish water, depending on the winds) so I realize that there will be some span in which my body needs to readjust and get used to things again. But, that doesn't seem to be happening.

On one of the social media sites, I got a feed from a SUP link that featured something called "Fatty Pad". I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows anything about them, or, another deck pad that may be designed for those of us that have some podiatry issues.

Thanks in advance.
(p.s. If this is not the right forum for this, I apologize. I figured the product being new(er) may have lead to someone knowing something about it. Thank you)

jes

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Standing comfort
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Don't know about the pads, but I wonder if shoes could help, especially.....Crocs.  Many people who have relied on orthotics to help with foot problems have found Crocs to work well.  And orthotics are not very practical to wear paddling, but Crocs are--they are waterproof, float, and of course are absolute babe magnets.  They may or may not make sense depending on what your particular issue is, but they're not expensive, and then you don't need the pad on every board you may paddle.  Here's a related thread:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,9597.msg84034.html#msg84034

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
I recently learned that my own foot discomfort was due to collapsing arches (plantar fasciitis). I now need arch support in my shoes. As PDX said, I'm going to have some orthotics made soon, but I won't be using them when I paddle. I was initially adding more padding in my shoes, but that just made it worse. If you have a bad back, you want a firm bed. If you have bad feet, you want firm supportive shoes. If the Croc's are not your look, here are some other waterproof shoes to consider. I don't know if they are firm with arch supports, but I'm sure they are better than my plain wetsuit booties. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85173?productId=1271768&attrValue_0=Feldspar/Cobalt&mr:trackingCode=4AECFCBA-1E6E-E311-B8AB-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotiononline&mkwid=X8iuY0Ip_dc&pcrid=57704162840&qs=3091365_google&product=0NNF704140&cvosrc=cse.google.0NNF704140&cvo_crid=57704162840

Good luck.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
 Crocs are the answer.

Has DJ posted recently?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:26:37 PM by southwesterly »

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:14 PM »
I have to respectfully disagree, any high performance wake skate shoe will allow for aggressive, sure footed maneuvering.  Far superior to Crocks.   These were the best, but are no longer made.  They are still available in limited sizes from online retailers.  DC and Nike make good ones as well.  You can also add a SOLE brand insert for more arch if needed

Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »
My boys are excellent wakeskaters and they wear the DC shoes made for wakeskating.  Incredible grip.  And could handle a custom orthotic.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
I have flat feet and suffered a lot early on from feet pains, cramping etc, but eventually the pain subsided. As well as wearing booties, I found that weighting and unweighting my heals as I paddled really helps rest the foot and stop the onset of pains. The way I do this is to momentarily lift the heal of the foot on the opposite side that the paddle is in the water at each stroke. This takes a bit of practice, but even now when I feel my feet cramping I do this.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
These work in summer! Use 'em for flatwater. My right foot is a half size smaller after being crushed in  MC accident a million years ago..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:07:07 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
Crocs are the answer.

Has DJ posted recently?

Too funny.... although theres no crocs in melbourne

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Topsider makes boat shoes for small boat sailing,  ie. always wet.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »
West Marine has a tennis shoe style boat shoe with drain holes on the bottom priced nice. Owner of local SUP shop here simply drills 1/8 inch holes in the bottoms of his preferred tennis shoe. That's what I do to New Balance Cross Trainers. Works great for me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
On the off chance that it's not just your feet, you might have your leg veins check for reflux. I have to wear compression socks most of the time now--I generally wear the tights. I had what I thought were foot and calf muscle problems that went away as soon as I had good circulation again. Worth paying attention to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 05:34:45 AM »
BD,  My creek out back is mucky and nasty, so I wear these just in case. Called Adipure running shoes.. they are a few years old (there are new versions) but quite comfortable, not slippery and show no sign of distress from getting put away wet.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 07:32:04 AM »
yoga for feet--there are some excruciating stretches i do with my feet, having seen my dad's hammer toes evolve, til they finally warranted painful surgery, pain i felt cuz he was an ornery SOB, recovering in my apt!--his toes are fine now, but i dont want to go near what he went through.

basically--kneel with ass on heels toes on mat=--tuck toes forward and back, and apply weight for 30 seconds or so each time--then use an ankle incline board with knee bent and not--stetches to the plantar fascia--takes like 3 minutes--works
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
I have to respectfully disagree, any high performance wake skate shoe will allow for aggressive, sure footed maneuvering.  Far superior to Crocks.   These were the best, but are no longer made.  They are still available in limited sizes from online retailers.  DC and Nike make good ones as well.  You can also add a SOLE brand insert for more arch if needed

Hmmm...great timing on this thread; I'm in need of a replacement/upgrade to foot protection and am mulling over options right now. 

I like to wear something to protect my feet from rocks and any other stupidity I impose on my feet, which in SoCal puts me into the "kook" category I guess....not that I care.  It's just nice to go out without worrying about your feet getting damaged or sore.  I've tried Samba indoor soccer sneakers with holes drilled in them (liked them a lot, but they fell apart from salt water exposure much sooner than I would have hoped), "five finger" Vibrams (work well, but a pain to get on and also a hassle to shake out sand and small rocks out when they get in), and regular O'Neill Superfreak low cut booties (my usual go to solution). 

Yesterday I fell in twice from slipping on the traction pad while SUP surfing, and when I later took off my O'Neill booties I noticed they were getting very smooth and thin on the bottom from almost 3 years of frequent use (yes, nice problem to have), thus contributing directly to loss of traction. 

Time for an upgrade!  I had no idea there was such a thing as a wake skate shoe.  If they allow for "aggressive, sure footed, maneuvering" I am game to check them out....
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99