Author Topic: "Ultra-Near-Shore" Coastal Cruising - Video  (Read 4319 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
"Ultra-Near-Shore" Coastal Cruising - Video
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:37:41 AM »
When there is no wind or waves, my favourite thing to do is what I call "Ultra-Near-Shore" Coastal Cruising. This involves paddling as close as you can to a rocky shore where there is a ground swell, either at first light (lots of wildlife) or just before dark. Here is clip from yesterday of an Ultra-Near-Shore paddle in Tai Tam Bay, Hong Kong just as the sun set.

What is great about this type of Ultra-Near-Shore paddling in the ocean, is that the ground swell and back-wash give you a good leg and core, as well as upper body work out, and there is a reasonable degree of concentration required to stay off the rocks (fin, board and body) and on the board.

This is dangerous. You need to be an experienced paddler to do this safely. I've paddled this coastline weekly for 3 years and have had my share of catching fins on rocks and being catapulted off the front of the board, so I know it well..

If you are going to try this, I recommend to start out away from the shore, and work yourself inwards as you get to know the coastline depending on conditions (tide / wind / swell).

http://youtu.be/tpY4wZ4QNF8
Had to slow this down due to chest harness - will do another with mouth mount or headmount
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:05:40 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: "Ultra-Near-Shore" Coastal Cruising - Video
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
I do a lot of that too. My paddle spots nearby are a mix of rocky coast and beach. Like you said, even a little swell will make enough backwash to require close attention to what you're doing and makes for a decent workout. A lot more interesting view of sea life too. I take it in even closer along the beach, weaving in and out of the little beachbreak trying to keep just enough water under me to asure no fin breakage....up the little faces onto the back, paddle the back into the shallows again and onto the next face. Kind of like slo-mo longboard skateboarding on a very big board.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
A lot more interesting view of sea life too. I take it in even closer along the beach, weaving in and out of the little beachbreak trying to keep just enough water under me to asure no fin breakage....up the little faces onto the back, paddle the back into the shallows again and onto the next face. Kind of like slo-mo longboard skateboarding on a very big board.

I agree about the sea-life. I also like hearing the birdlife. That mixture of the sound of the sea on the shore, and the birdlife on the land is magical, especially early in the morning. I'll have to try your ultra-near-shore beach slow-mo long boarding technique. There are a couple of beaches on this paddle which we can get into in the winter. Most of the year they have shark nets around them and SUP is not allowed inside them..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:12:59 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
The spot I paddle the most and where I do most of my near shore excursions (off shore too for that matter) is long beach in Plymouth. It's a barrier beach/peninsula about 3 miles long, the last mile is a piping plover and tern rookery. Last estimate is about 10,000 birds. I love watching them dive. They've started learning to dive right in front of me because as I'm going near shore I'm pushing all the bait fish ahead of me. If there is a big school in front of me I can sometimes have 10 birds/min hitting in front of me. I can see them swimming under water short distances....very cool. Noisy as hell though. We also have a series of Osprey nests out there, always fun to watch. One scared the crap out of my daughter last summer, took a schoolie striper right next to her.....almost fell off her board. I've had thoughts about getting a tattoo and it was going to tie a bunch of emotions/meaning together.
Here's Plymouth beach at the rookery end and a couple versions of the tattoo (which I doubt I'll ever get... :P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpigQRA12VA
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:43:43 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
You'd need a big canvas for that. I suggest your ass. You could have plovers on one cheek and Osprey on the other.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
 ;D
Bob

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 05:25:17 AM »
This is a new short video I made using a headmount, taken on the same day as the one I made with the chestmounted 3 Axis Gimbal, but in an area where the ocean swell mostly directly hits the shore. I need to get some more time with the gimbal before I chance it in these conditions.

No music this time, just the sound of the ocean and a few words. This is an awesome way to paddle if you know your coastline and waves are not enough to SUS and wind not enough to downwind. I'd only recommend this for advanced levels of paddlers who can read waves and backwash. Leash and PFD worn.

http://youtu.be/db6rtDBzQRc
GoPro 4 Silver - Headmounted

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal