Author Topic: My just released book  (Read 63323 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: My just released book
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
Started a reread of this truly amazing book last night.....I'm bracing for another ride on the emotional roller coaster that hit me like a tons of bricks the first time I read it.  I've got a VERY early release of Bill's book that he signed with a nice note that is, and will always be, a prized possession of mine.

Probably very few here who have not yet read this book....do yourself a favor and give it a go - you won't be disappointed.

Edge City here we go again.
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
Synchronicity Whatsup.......I went into the cabinet where I had the book last night and when I saw it decided to re-read it. So good....
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:57 AM »
Good timing Stoney!   8)

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »
Working on a screenplay now

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:34 PM »
Working on a screenplay now
For your book?  I think everyone who reads it wishes there'd be a movie, with all the great settings.  Can we start recommending actors?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2017, 12:04:32 AM »
PDX How about telling me if you think this is a good start... My brother has just returned home from his first year of college and when threatened pushes back for the first time.  For visual scenes I think this is where they start.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
I really don't know.  There are so many ways you could go.  I do remember how chronologically, the scenes get increasingly visually dramatic--going from pretty conventional (domestic, schools, military bases) to dramatic (watching a war break out from a hotel bar, jungles, the South Pacific at night...). 

If you want a completely fresh idea of a "documentary", watch Miles Ahead about Miles Davis, and read what Don Cheadle wrote about it.  ( I got the dvd and it has a lot of interviews with him and the family, and their approach to writing it, and how it got funded and produced.)  He intentionally didn't do a chronological recounting of Miles Davis' life, because he and the family thought that would have bored Miles to death.  Also, the chronology, including the music, jumps all over the place, because they wanted it to.

The crazy thing is that they had to invent a lot of the drama for a movie about someone whose life was already dramatic.  Yours already is so wild, it sounds fictional to begin with.  On the other hand, he was probably a better musician, unless you're holding out on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfTNCTVT5U

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
open it with crocodiles?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
Keanu Reeves plays you..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
PDX, what you described is very much like the popular show in TV called "This is Us".  It took me awhile to catch on to what they were doing, I missed the first episode, but once I caught on, I really like the format.

Casey Affleck could play Mike Boyum, kinda looks like him.
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
Speaking of Keanu Reeves...this is not a skill I expected him to have....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0auA-NWZo
Sorry for the thread hijack Bill but kind of cool you'll have a badass playing you....though I don't remember any gun battles in the book...but the studios will probably add one for dramatic effect in the movie... :)
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »
Mike should be played by James Franco. Your dad should be played by Harrison Ford. And you ........ maybe.... Mark Wahlbergh......Wait........ Zack Efron ;D  You got to be the heart throb. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »
Mike should be played by James Franco. Your dad should be played by Harrison Ford. And you ........ maybe.... Mark Wahlbergh......Wait........ Zack Efron ;D  You got to be the heart throb.

That's getting way ahead of the game at this point ... but as for the young actors, I really like Lucas Black.  He was in Friday Night Lights and currently on NCIS New Orleans.  I disagree about Harrison Ford.  Robert Duval was already the Great Santini so he's out.  Will have to think about that but it's all far away and won't be my pick anyway.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »

That's getting way ahead of the game at this point ... but as for the young actors, I really like Lucas Black.  He was in Friday Night Lights and currently on NCIS New Orleans.  I disagree about Harrison Ford.  Robert Duval was already the Great Santini so he's out.  Will have to think about that but it's all far away and won't be my pick anyway.
I vacillated on the Harrison Ford pick. I think it was that he can play a stern person and that he's a pilot. That's it. I pictured your dad as this mean guy in a flight jacket, with eye's that had that look of "you just wait, your going to get it later". I've seen that look in my friend's dad. And he would get it later. It's interesting the image your mind conjures of a character in a book. The more you read about that character, the clearer the image becomes. Sometimes it's liken to a person in your own life who has similar attributes. Your brother was bits and pieces of people I knew or know. Even though you have at least one picture of Mike in the book (it's been a while since I read it), I still picture him differently. I pictured you as a close friend of mine who watched go through drug and mental issues because of a childhood of physical abuse from his alcoholic father.
Now I picture you downwinding, all the time....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:46 AM »
I remember thinking to myself how great a movie this would make....I think I even day dreamed as to how it would open:

Scene opens with Mikey alone on the beautiful island deep in the throws of his final fast doing the best he can to make his last written entries.  All the while he's slipping back and forth into hallucination of audience grabbing events over his life (half a dozen different minny snippits)...the stage is set.  After a few minutes the movie flashes its second start....you, Mikey, Mini all youngsters along with your family in either Pax River or Coronado and goes from there. 

Too predictable? 

I think your story has the making of a long (2.5-3 hour) movie but I believe the story is captivating and the possibilities of imagery, story turns, etc., would be sit edge sitting throughout!

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal