Author Topic: My just released book  (Read 63330 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My just released book
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
at my dad's law firm:

"sons of other can be late all they want--my sons get to work on time, or early"

at least he lived by example, working many 18 hours days and weekends--could be he was hiding from us?

he was a tough nixon republican, with four damned hippie sons living in his very own household.
he couldve been better with us, but boy did we serve him some shlt we was not prepared for!

despite the polar opposition of our politics, we get along great....NOW. Lots of laughs and hugs. It's a bleesing for me. I'd feel like shlt if it was any other way. And he is tough stock. His medical history is truly astounding, and he lost my mother 3 years ago--yet he lives on his own, hanging tough.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
This was a great spot to sit and read your book. My father-in-law had a great view during his retirement. Both of my in-laws were Navel doctors.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Both of my in-laws were Navel doctors.

Gastroenterologists? Or naval doctors? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »
That darn spell check.  Doesn't it know I'm an idiot!
It's not overhead to me!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »
This was a great spot to sit and read your book. My father-in-law had a great view during his retirement. Both of my in-laws were Navel doctors.

I've been up there.  It is stunning.  Also during my father's cancer treatment we went up to Tripler Hospital on the hill.  Quite a view from up there as well.  Thanks for your post TallDude.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »
“You guys got smoked by that set.” “Yeah, man, kept getting bigger with every wave. Getting spooky.” “Hey, where’s Laverty?”

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
Was Bob the first guy you found floating dead? How big was it getting?
It's not overhead to me!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2015, 12:39:12 AM »
Ten to fifteen.  If you're familiar with Ulus it was breaking all the way through from the outside corner.  One wave, no sections.  Three guys out.  Two lived.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
 “Come on, wake up. It’s Kabul, Afghanistan calling, do you accept a collect call?” “What?”

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
I see a lot of people here that want a physical version of your book but its a drag to have to fork over a bunch of money for printing and then you have to decide if you want to inventory and ship them yourself or have someone do it for you. That can be expensive and cut into your profits big time. However, there is no need to do that because Amazon has an option where your customers can at the time of ordering choose a paperback copy and they (CreateSpace) will print the book and ship it to them for you one book at a time. :) I'm not sure how you'll deal with the signed copies though.

Also if you want to check out my book website about the book.  Yes and I'll be happy to send signed copies when I get them printed.

http://www.billboyum.com
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
There's a little more involved in using Createspace. You make some choices that you can't undo right away. I chose to have the physical versions of my book done by BookBaby--but there are lots of choices these days. The old vanity press screw job companies are on life support (though they keep coming back like that Bamboo I soaked with Roundup), and CreateSpace is one of many good alternatives.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
I haven't used CreateSpace yet for my books but read somewhere that because Amazon owns them that the order process is seamless. Whats the downside?

There's a little more involved in using Createspace. You make some choices that you can't undo right away. I chose to have the physical versions of my book done by BookBaby--but there are lots of choices these days. The old vanity press screw job companies are on life support (though they keep coming back like that Bamboo I soaked with Roundup), and CreateSpace is one of many good alternatives.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »
Createspace offers a free option, but you have to ensure your book is completely ready for print. If you use any of their services to improve the quality you can get into substantial costs, and you don't own the formatting--you can't choose to get the source file and take a less expensive route later for producing print books--you have to start over. Other than that it's fine if you want to do only on demand printing. You won't be selling any copies to bookstores or libraries and the only outlet is Amazon, but if that's OK then it's a great service.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
“Hey, Mikey, I was snooping around Dad’s room the other day when he was gone. Knocked over a stack of quarters and dimes he had on his dresser. Was real careful to stack them back perfect just the way he had them.”
“So?”
“So I found pictures of mushroom clouds. That’s A-bombs, right?”
“Yeah, that’s A-bombs. You see anything else?”
“One picture showed a small island. The other was just a hole, no island.”
“The old man was taking pictures of A-bombs? How do you have the balls to take pictures of an A-bomb? They blow the crap out of everything. Nothing lives. Hey Duke, you think anyone has a shelter here in Coronado?”

A conversation on the beach in 1963, a year after the missile crisis.

Like this discussion about print.  What I've also heard is regular publishers won't have anything to do with you once you've gone to Createspace.  Still, it's no $ up front that is obviously a gamble.  Been told that I would definitely lose money printing.  So I'm waiting a bit.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »
Just finished the book. Loved it, great story and even better writing. Don't sell yourself short on this one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal