Author Topic: My just released book  (Read 63327 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My just released book
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »
Speaking of which, I smell southside run today. Thank god. I'm spending too much time with boogie boards and fins. My grandson leaves today but I got a pass on taking him to the airport. Let the games begin.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »
Yes to what that old guy just said.  Clear expression is a skill everyone should continue to improve on and one that seems to be fading in general in our culture.  But contrary to that trend I see incredibly well formulated thoughts here on this forum.  It keeps me coming back.  And yes, as PBill says I'm up for challenges, especially on this forum where I know people are basically friendly even when contentious.  I thank everyone who has responded and I'm open for any discussion.

In 1967 my brother Mike left Lahaina for the south pacific to search for his soul.  Instead he found perfect waves.  My book is this journey.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
Mate I'm enjoying the read at the moment. Looking at my kids and wondering if they will have these kinda of opportunities for adventures.

Maybe I just need to take them on some with me!

Again great read so far. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
I'll give Lopez legend status, but I too think it's thrown around too much these days. (Check any north shore instagram account)

Kiwi, theremare still places to get lost on this planet, you just have to go a little deeper and further than you used to.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
No surf on Mars. I checked.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2015, 01:16:17 AM »
Yeah I kinda hope space travel isnt required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:10 PM »
Damn ipad keyboards are hard to type on.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »
Just finished it on my flight back from HI last night. SHIT MAN!

I was sitting on the look out at punch bowl reading it as well as in my in-laws back yard over looking Pearl Harbor. So the scene was set.
My father-in-law will be interred there in a few months (paperwork!) His services were this past weekend.
As I read through it, I found myself drifting into my relationship with my dad. It added an emotional dimension to the read that I didn't expect. I could relate on a lot of levels. Thank You. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:52:06 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »
Just started reading it on Kindle cloud.  I have just gotten through the first couple of pages, but it's slightly eerie parallel existence. We were probably in Coronado at the same time as children. I was in the fourth grade at the public grammar school and had a mad crush on my teacher, Ms. Tracewell.  My father was Navigator on the  carrier Shangri-la and was away in the Orient while we lived there.  I can remember the haircuts and the funny clothes, too, and how the civilians were always better dressed in nicer clothes with longer hair while we were in short, stubby hair cuts, baggy dungarees and t shirts.  Also, the same attitude about having anything to do with the sailors who were off limits on the rare occasions when we went on the ship. The ship was amazing and the officers seemed to be treated like kings, with fantastic food, fruits etc. and served their dinner on nice dishes and silverware etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:55:06 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
was out with Strandleper the other day Headmount and he was raving-gonna get it myself. Congrats on the book!
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really like it that some of you that have similar backgrounds, have read it.  And SUPcheat, at one period my Dad flew off the Shangri-la as well right before his command of the Pine Island.  I think Weasels Wake had a similar childhood as well and there are undoubtedly many others. 

But I got pretty choked up reading Talldudes post. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
was out with Strandleper the other day Headmount and he was raving-gonna get it myself. Congrats on the book!

He has been incredible and posted me a powerful review.  SL's way with words shows how obviously good he is at his work.  You'd want him in your corner that's for sure. Here he is on a FB pic that looks like he's surfing on Mars.   He reports that his friend Josh Call took this great pic.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »
Hmmm. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe that's why Elon Musk wants to go so badly.

Speaking of Elon, too bad he's native South African. There's a guy I'd work for to elect president. Of course it would be a step down for him.

I just finished my reread of the book. Magnificent.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
Here's a piece of odd trivia about the "Pine Island" naval ship, with a stage left to Antarctica, Admiral Byrd, and UFO's, of all things:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/antarctica/antartica11.htm
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really like it that some of you that have similar backgrounds, have read it.  And SUPcheat, at one period my Dad flew off the Shangri-la as well right before his command of the Pine Island.  I think Weasels Wake had a similar childhood as well and there are undoubtedly many others. 

But I got pretty choked up reading Talldudes post.
My dad is now 81. It's really cool having him watch my son play club basketball. My son listens to his advice. I always give my dad a hug, ....Now. In the back of my mind, I'm still angry. There was a pivotal time in our relationship where I was big enough and strong enough to bust him one. Just then I realized he was getting old and always in pain from his hard upbringing. I suddenly felt sorry for him.
 I worked for my dad doing concrete and framing from about the age of 12 till I was 24. he would just yell at me and my older brother Mikey all day. Constantly belittling us. 'Why the hell did you do that!" and " You two are so dam slow!". It was never good enough.  When I finally quit working for him, and framed for someone else, they couldn't believe how fast I worked. I always work fast when I'm mad, and my dad new it. We built houses along the beach. During summer my high school friends would walk by on their way to the beach. My dad would yell at them," don't talk to Matt, I want him to keep working." At the end of the day they would tell me how the surf was. They'd be nice and say "You didn't miss anything."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:33:27 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal