Author Topic: My just released book  (Read 63329 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My just released book
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
For those interested in getting free info about the book and all the issues involved, check out my website at www.billboyum.com

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:07 PM »

In another twenty years WWII will have the same distance from the present as the Civil War was when I grew up.  That blows my mind because kids my age (and many on this forum) grew up with WWII history all around us.  Many of our fathers were vets in that war, Korea or both.

Very true. WW-II was the defining moment of my parent's generation. The animosity for the Japanese was still very palpable into the 60's amongst my relatives who had fought in the Pacific. That war remained within a lot of people for a long time.

I just got done reading Unbroken. It is a true story about an American bomber crew that survived a crash landing and imprisonment by the Japanese in WW-II. The death rate for American airmen in the Pacific theater was truly grim, most of it not even during combat. The sad thing is they were all kids.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 10:19:21 PM »
Just bought it.  Can't wait to read it on the plane!  Thanks Bill.

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
I finished the book last night. Intense, to say the least. Please add me to the list of people who would like an autographed copy when you put the book into print.

If you don't mind me asking, how does Amazon compensate the author when I add the book to my KindleUnlimited?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »
I finished the book last night. Intense, to say the least. Please add me to the list of people who would like an autographed copy when you put the book into print.

If you don't mind me asking, how does Amazon compensate the author when I add the book to my KindleUnlimited?

Kindle Unlimited is part of Amazon Prime or you pay $9.99 for a year of unlimited books.  Don't know how the author is compensated for those.  I'm learning as I go on this first time into the ring.  Thanks for reading it. 

One Zoner contacted me saying how he enjoyed the different voices (inner voices) at different junctures in my life.  That he got those voices was particularly gratifying.  I don't think many people keep the same POV through their years and I certainly didn't.  Now my inner voice has been replaced with ringing in my ears but when I'm out on the water I don't hear a thing.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »
HM - I just went through your whole web site - great stuff there. The book sounds like a fascinating read. Now if I can just figure out how to read the book without a Kindle.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »
You can get the free Kindle app for most phones, tablets and computers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_kinh_3

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 04:04:43 AM »
Been reading some every day and at where you are just getting to Maui. This is where I think it starts getting to where I have been curious about and I can honestly say, with my mouth hanging open........WOW!. How do I say this.........good for you and congratulations on telling so much of the story to lead up to.....well, I guess that's the story. The big stuff for sure but also all the little things.....the dentist,........
Yes, the different voices and pov is a good way to put things.
Your take on the demeanor, (and why they were there) of the kids during the summer of love in The City, (wow, you were there too) is something in itself too. Now I wonder if without WW2 if that whole.........hippie thing would have happened like it did. All the kids of all the people that were in the war............
I was curious so went back to the Amazon site to see some reviews.....blonde kid from Aspen I think.....and you is moving up the charts too.
I would love a hard copy too.
Nice writing and telling of a story.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:07:50 AM by lucabrasi »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
Been reading some every day and at where you are just getting to Maui. This is where I think it starts getting to where I have been curious about and I can honestly say, with my mouth hanging open........WOW!. How do I say this.........good for you and congratulations on telling so much of the story to lead up to.....well, I guess that's the story. The big stuff for sure but also all the little things.....the dentist,........
Yes, the different voices and pov is a good way to put things.
Your take on the demeanor, (and why they were there) of the kids during the summer of love in The City, (wow, you were there too) is something in itself too. Now I wonder if without WW2 if that whole.........hippie thing would have happened like it did. All the kids of all the people that were in the war............
I was curious so went back to the Amazon site to see some reviews.....blonde kid from Aspen I think.....and you is moving up the charts too.
I would love a hard copy too.
Nice writing and telling of a story.
Well that blond kid is 68 now and lives on Kauai.  And you have the same take as me about WWII.  That "Greatest Generation came out repressed, alcoholic and smoking cigs like crazy.  That's what we grew up with.  And it spun us out into an orbit that included surfing some of the best waves in the world by ourselves.  If we'd grown up with a Dad who was a grocer at the A&P we would have probably stayed in one place and toed the line.  You never know but when a whole generation rebels the way the hippies did, you know something was on the table.  Thanks for reading.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
still want to save my $ from amazon and buy a signed hard copy--ill send you a check up front, if you'd like.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »
Interesting---now #62 on Amazon's list of Biographies and Memoirs of Criminals.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »
I just saw American Sniper which was extraordinary.  Very heavy and dealt with the war trauma from the soldiers POV.   There have been a few others like "Brothers", "Deer Hunter" and a film released right after WWII titled "The Best Years of Our Lives."  They aren't comfortable films and except for Deer Hunter which was loaded with the best actors of the day, most of these movies slipped under the radar. 

I don't think "Sniper" will slip away unnoticed.  Clint Eastwood did an outstanding job of portraying all the issues at hand. 

The big impact word the main character had to endure was 'legend'.  You could tell he cringed every time he heard it.  Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, and all the scientists that created vaccines for deadly diseases... these are the kind of people you can call legends.  Not someone from yesterday or the week before and definitely not any surfers.

CLTSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 07:39:37 AM »
Damn Boyum what a ride!  I'm astounded you guys were able to hit all those locations and come out without being shot, eaten by wildlife, illness,  etc, etc. Great read and perspective of a true adventurer (willing or not). Made me evaluate my lot in life and focus on delivering a solid foundation for my three. Appreciate you laying it out there.
Mike
Uli Lopez-10'
Angulo Shaka-14'
Coreban Icon-10'

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 07:58:42 AM »
Damn Boyum what a ride!  I'm astounded you guys were able to hit all those locations and come out without being shot, eaten by wildlife, illness,  etc, etc. Great read and perspective of a true adventurer (willing or not). Made me evaluate my lot in life and focus on delivering a solid foundation for my three. Appreciate you laying it out there.
Mike

Thanks Mike.  Parenting is a big issue in my book.  I was certainly unfit for parent duty but things turned out OK.  You live long enough and they usually do... but living is the trick.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
Man...I haven't even gotten to the adventure part yet and I'm hooked. Great reading, I like Mikey and Billy already.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal