Author Topic: TvDinner Review  (Read 13668 times)

El Sharky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
TvDinner Review
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Hola Everyone: Long time lurker but with not much to say before, So i decided to start with a review of my new board. i am in no way asociated with L41 other than a happy customer.

I am 6’2’’ and at 205# when i shoped around for a small SUP for my local waves, i always got 9’0  or at the minimum a 8’5’’as a suggestion, and i di tried them, Hokua, custom, Surftech, but i felt it was allways the same formula. Then i saw what was hapening in other parts of the world and decided to look harder and thats how i found L41 Original Simsup. I placed an order for what i thought would be a simsup 5 (High performance in my mind) but due to the characteristics i wanted, a TvDinner ended up being a better option, added some extras and reinforcements, custom bag from VB and some weeks later which seemed like years. The board was ready. The grin on my face when i opened the bag was priceless. it was nicer than what i thought and even though it is off mainstream design, in my head was perfect.

Got to ride it on bad conditions, but so far with chopy seas proved to be more stable than my last 8’5 with roughly the same volume. I wont even go into the row effect or how it doesnt glide because thats like expecting an action movie to make you cry and move you. When i ordered the board i knew what i was getting into, however to my surprise, it was better than what i have imagined. It punched well into the hewad on waves, turned on a dime to setup for catching waves and didnt nose dive at all. Of course i had to be on the lineup right with the fellow prone surfers instead of way deeper waiting for the waves, and on that choppy day standing without padling was sending me to the water. The board ended up being a 6’10’’x 32’’@118L which is like 20% more flotation than mi weight. So i feel thats a good ratio. i caught some waves but they were small so nothing special to write about other than confirm what other people seem to say about them being skate, loose and FAST! I still had to take some time and slow my head down to feel the right stance when padling and then on my surf stance have enough backfoot. NO need to move foots around once on the waves with plenty of  good response.

Yesterday there were some decent waves from a NW Swell at cerritos and i thought it would be a perfect test. Some waves on the high tide overhead. Fast sections on the left and the tipical left right left mushhy wave on the point. Of course i went for the fast waves and try to test the board. Manage to catch the waves with ease and the first botom turns were akward from me not being able to understand/control the speed, but after a few things got really fun and i started feeling like on my R6 Days (motorcycle) where at the midle of the turn you start accelerating and feeling the G forces begining to aply and end up with more speed than what you got into the curve to start with. i tried pumping it a bit and took me a while to feel the right rithm but managed, then some cutbacks and i think that my current level stop me there but not the board!

I will try to post mor reviews as i use the board more and the best news of all is that my Girlfriend now wants a board which i get to choose the specs and she picks the colors, so i may end up riding a pink simsupx or simsup5 that improves my quiver.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: TvDinner Review
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
Nice review...one of these days a TV dinner is on the menu.

I like how you think....same reason my wife got a 9-8 element back in the day.....not pink though.. ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
Great review.  Mercedes needs some love for capturing you on film so well.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »
I see Kirk trotting down to the beach around Privates to test or ride his boards around Sharks and the Hook. He has been on this TV dinner one lately and looked pretty stoked on some shoulder highs.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
TV Dinner lunch read.  Great review...thanks. 

I wont even go into the row effect or how it doesnt glide because thats like expecting an action movie to make you cry and move you. When i ordered the board i knew what i was getting into, however to my surprise, it was better than what i have imagined.

I felt the same way with my ST.  I knew I wasn't getting a glider, but was surprised with how it went.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
Great entrance into the Zone... review and pictures...outstanding!

Keep the updates coming.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
Looks a lot like my L41 in the waves--not so much on the beach with that tail. Nice board. I need to try one of those.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
Nice review and pics. Board looks really nice.

I'm feeling like a wimp though...I'm a little taller but the same weight and I thought my newly ordered SIMSUP X at 8' was small  ;)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
I should've listened to Ralph and got a 8'0.........  :'(

These Simsup are incredibly stable.
My next SUP will be another SimSup for sure. I'm sold with their product. I wanted Naish initially but now that I look at, Ralph recommended me for a perfect board. He kept trying to persuade me into buying a 8'0 and I though he was crazy at the time.

btw I weigh 175-180 and I'm 6'6"

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:31:05 PM »
I should've listened to Ralph and got a 8'0.........  :'(

These Simsup are incredibly stable.
My next SUP will be another SimSup for sure. I'm sold with their product. I wanted Naish initially but now that I look at, Ralph recommended me for a perfect board. He kept trying to persuade me into buying a 8'0 and I though he was crazy at the time.

btw I weigh 175-180 and I'm 6'6"

Not to Worry I have the 8'0" in Stock
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Nice review and pics Mr. Sharky. Love pics and reviews of different boards. How else are we supposed to want a new board?

Like the Cerritos shots. I've spent over 20 winters down there pre-sup. It seems to me like a good spot even though the left gets pretty thumpy at times. I figure spot x above town should be the right call at times. I always loved surfing there.

El Sharky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
Thx Everyone for a warm welcome! And i am glad you find the review useful. I will try to get more water time and share with you guys as i have greatly benefited form the info on this forum. I have a few spots in mind that i want to try this board and i am waiting for a bit of a bigger swell when Cerritos lights  up and the point does its magic (take off right, turn left as the wave starts mushing, and then watch the wall build behind you and then turn right again for the steep part and at the end you might be able to turn again!) to start working on videos instead of pics. I just fear it will be more bloopers than actual waves.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
Welcome El Tiburon...

Fun spot...the restaurant has really made it a nicer place to hang...
I've been surfing in that region for over 30 years...actually bought (100 year lease) property near there back in the 90's...
Here's some pics on days that you kinda describe...most of my wave boards are now 2' smaller than in these shots...but, they still worked pretty bueno...

This gallery has a cool lightbox function that more efficiently displays images...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/baja-waves
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

El Sharky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
Session #2

Arrived to the spot and it was raining with fun looking waves but nothing special. Geared up and got in the water just to be surprised by a nice set and realize that what i had seen was the worst and it was only getting better. I dont know the different standards but i felt the waves were on the 4` to 6` scale with relatively flat conditions. It was one of those tides that slows the wave just a bit and had the chance to ride a few before the ofshore kicked in. (normally ofshore would be awesome but on this day it was blowing some 20kts and was keeping me from building speed and catching waves efficiently so didnt continue the session too long.

The more i ride the board the more i like it and the more i feel like surfing on a shortboard. I had the chance to try a production board with the same idea but different lines and it was an eye opener as far as the difference it makes when somebody actually knows what they are doing and when somebody sends specs to a factory to get something for the masses, so still impressed and pleased with my board, nowi just wish the rider improved to start finding the real potential of the board.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 05:06:48 AM »
good review.

That last shot looks good. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal