Author Topic: First Whitewater Paddle  (Read 5380 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
First Whitewater Paddle
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:56:29 AM »
I've been thinking about paddling some of the creeks that feed into the Hudson this summer. One of the most popular is the Esopus. Lots of kayakers do this creek and people tube it too. I gather it's not too rough. The guides say class 2-3, mostly class 3 when there are water releases for recreational boating. This sounds about my speed for a beginning run.

I'm not dumb enough to try this alone, but I was wondering about basic equipment. You need the right board, which I have, a plastic Imagine Surfer which I can outfit with a rubber fin. I guess you need a waist leash, PFD, helmet, and maybe padding?

Also, are there any SUPers in the Hudson Valley interesting in trying something like this when the water gets warmer? These would be pure beginning runs, nothing strenuous or crazy. I want to try the Esopus because it's so heavily traveled, but I'm open to other venues. I will team up with kayakers too — there are some good Hudson Paddling Facebook pages, which are almost all kayakers. I'm one of the only SUP weirdos. (And proud of it!)

Again, this is a long-term idea. I'd just like to know how to start.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: First Whitewater Paddle
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »
Surfer, Rapidfire, IF.  My new bang is the Streetfighter.  It's a blast.  I wear protection...

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »
I was just rummaging around this place and ran across this. Can wear it over your PFD which I think would be nice. Never really gave that a thought...
http://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=351&idcategory=192

I do have this one, a few years old and the cable is much lighter than a regular leash which is nice and more than adequate for what I do most of the time. It stows away in the little bag so it is the one that is in the back of the car all summer. 
http://www.nrs.com/product/15991/nrs-quick-release-sup-leash

Keep trying on PFDs till you find one you like. Beater paddle which I sure you know.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
I was definitely thinking of a beater paddle. Thanks for the links for the waist leashes. Now if the damn water would get a little less… solid, I could actually do this.

A kayaker suggested the Delaware as a good first run. It's heavily traveled national park, and rarely goes above class 2. They also have shuttles where you can leave your car and they'll bring your boat upstream. I don't know what they'd do with a SUP, but I may call them to find out.

I'm really looking forwards to this. This will be something different. Plus, any chance I can justify paddling Big Red is a good paddle. I believe you can get rubber fins for it too, which I'll search for.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »
If you want to paddle the Delaware for some ww, I'm in, provided you won't mind some company. I've been trying to talk my bro-in-law into doing a Delaware trip, to no avail.

Several years ago I led a kayak trip from Frenchtown, NJ to Bulls Island, NJ, about 12 miles if I remember. There was just a little ww - prob class 1 at the time we paddled it, which I enjoyed playing around in. 

At any rate, be sure to shoot me a PM when you have some dates in mind, it would be cool to meet up.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 07:17:09 PM »
Feet, that would be very cool. We're talking springtime, of course, but I'll be in touch.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
Sounds good!

For PFDs, I have a Stohlquist Brik that for the price, is I think is pretty decent. It floats me (despite the misnomer Brik) and is reasonably comfortable.  I'd also recommend Astral pfds, though they seem to be a bit more $$. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »
Thanks. I have a couple of PFDs already which I legally have to wear between the November and May (NYS law). So that's taken care of. Now I need to locate a rubber fin.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
I posted this last summer but still pertains to any type of whitewater. Not sure you will need all of this, but if your river is as boney as the ones here in Colorado (rusty cars from ranchers, rocks, re-bar in concrete, etc) I would have it all!

Gear:
Strutter Sweet Helmet-I have hard bill, on helmets in surf is a no-no is what I have been told, but its common for rivers and blocks sun off my irish face. Helmet is no brainier. Standing that high up and catching a fin (go fin-less, short fins, or flip-up skeg like on my board)
PFD-Astral YTV- (Not rescue, but one is on order for Swift Water Rescue course in Sept.) Low profile, no bells and whistles, and hardly noticed. I wear my lower and the YTV allows for lots of arm movement to paddle and to swim.
Gerber Knife-River Shorty has been a standard for MANY years and is never not out of reach. Some WW kayakers put a flip out blade knife in pocket,    but if I need to use knife, I want it easy to get to and fast. Knife in pocket takes too long to retrieve, but could have one for backup if knife falls out.
Badfish Re'leash- Quick release leash with unique brass piece that can be attached anywhere on a standard Type III pdf and this allows you to not have to use waist-belt w/ring on a rescue vest (Type V). I have 6' non-coiled but want to put a coiled longer leash on due to it being a foot to short for board.
Long sleeve loose rash guard with 50 spf and board shorts for warmer weather-Long sleeve to keep sun off and to kinda protect skin.
3/2 mm full NRS Radient wetsuit for water/air temps below 100 degrees total (not shown). Update: Just added a NRS Extreme Drysuit for even colder days on river.
G-Form Knee Pads- They breath great, lightweight, and special foam gets harder depending on force of impact. Becoming a standard for river running and many other sports. Will be buying (new this season) combo shin/knee pads. When you swim you want them for our rocky rivers. Remember to get feet out in front when you do swim.
Teva Gnarkosi Water shoes for foot protection a MUST! Rocks in any river can do damage, and if you have old ranches/farms along river, they use to dump trash, vehicles, and equipment into them. Teva has a thicker sole so next ones may be Astral Brewers to get better feel on board (thinner sole), but teva's are great shoes to walk around town or go on hikes in, plus bonus they drain. Update: Just got FiveTen Water Tennie that is taller and helps keep out fine sand and rocks and protects drysuit latex booties.
Werner Stinger Stinger was designed for river by one of, if not the best kayak paddle maker. Blade is reverse tear drop shape so you can put "Just the tip"  ;D, in water or engage entire blade when needed. Smaller tip is perfect to negotiate around rocks w/o getting blade between rocks. Blade is almost ALWAY in water when in river rapids/waves because you need to use it to brace so you do not take drink. Plus rivers have currents coming at you in all directions, so paddle in water allows you to control board, eddy, and surf. 
Board-I am sure by the picture you can tell what brand it is, so I will leave it at that. Plastic roto-molded (like WW kayak) is best bang for your buck on river. Priced around $800-$900 (much cheaper then higher-end iSUPs), can take a beating for years on end(look at an old kayak), 36" wide x 9'-2" long (short and wide for rivers. Easier to move board around, eddy, ferry, and width for stability), lowered standing area (iSUPs have you high on board thus higher center of gravity), 10" thick nose (designed like a Creek Boat (kayak) to be able to blast through waves), flip-up skeg (when you hit something it just flips up, also has a fin-box for traditional fins), go-pro attachment (for the movie selfie of yourself cascading down river), 2 hard handles (tip/tail), three rubber coated soft handles (sides and middle, so climbing back on is easier), Boof Buddy(for taking drops (boofing) you can hook foot under and lift, soft foam and has does not entrap foot, but leash can wrap), and dry storage compartment. Only CON is its heavier then iSUP, my old river iSUP was 29 lbs, and my plastic board is 43 lbs. That makes it a b*tch to portage and carry to/from river.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
About the paddle, if your river is rocky.  I watched several SUP paddles broken on shallow NC rivers before I bought into the whole WWSUP thing.  I'm having a ball with it now.  Anyway, I bought a heavy rafters "Guide" paddle.  Since I was crouching most of the time anyway.  You could run over it with a truck and it wouldn't blink.  I went to a Kialoa adjustable so I can adjust on the fly for flatwater.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:57:34 PM by madmax »

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »
Ichabod Spoonbill said:
"Lots of kayakers do this creek"

I was just wondering..... are any of them cute?  8)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »
Make sure your waist-leash is coiled (or short, if straight) and has a quick release.  Boardworks & Salamander make good ones. 

Or, just modify a coiled leash you already own by adding a large carabiner, or something of that sort. 

Class 3 is pretty heavy on a SUP, even for an experienced paddler, and especially if you don't have prior river experience.  Have you run whitewater in a kayak, raft or canoe?  If not, there are tons of resources online & on youtube about reading rivers, techniques like ferrying and eddying out, how to position yourself in the water when you fall, etc. 

Be careful and you'll have a blast!   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal