Author Topic: Ok, let's talk hot coats.  (Read 20453 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, let's talk hot coats.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 08:06:42 AM »
I would just use the Apex.  I did the RR laminating, Apex hotcoat at first.. Thinking I was getting a superior product with the RR lam, but it was a waste of time.. My Apex doesnt need to be measured as carefully, lams great, almost foolproof and sands beautifully.. I am the kind of guy that likes to KISS. 

I have heard the same results with greenroom epoxy.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 08:08:48 AM »
Cool, I was just wondering because I've got a 1.5 gal kit still on the shelf. I'll use it to lam til it's gone at least. I got stuff to build so it'll go fast enough.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »
I've been happy using Resin Research for over a decade and never had any problems as I follow proper protocol. 
I just vacuum the sanding dust off with one of those round brush attachments, keep hands clean when handling the board, and use a fresh disposable brush for the hotcoats.  Also proved to be plenty strong stuff for all my windsurf constructions.  Here's a recent coating. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 11:06:58 PM »
I did a second clean one today and I gotta say, no additive f, nothing but clean gloves and brush and it went fine.

Also, checking in an hour later gives you a second chance to salvage a rough one.

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »
Been kinda cold in the Delta, and wet too.  Good ingredients for dissaster in the hot coat.

I've always used double the F for the hot than I use for the glass.  I am eager to try the Apex and or the Greenroom.

Who said they were getting itchy to buy blanks.  I empathize!  I'm bringing two cat boards to the Mongoose Cup.  One will float a fat guy on a wheel chair.  The new one should be a bit squirly, but I need warm weather for the hot coat.

I always fantasize that some chemical genius will figgure out a final coating that needs a whole lot less sanding and can really cut down on weight.  Maybe something with some elasticity, like a poly urethane one coat filler and finish?

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »
I just tried today a tip about hot coats I read on Swaylocks just the other day.  For my 8' board I mixed up 6ozs (4 would have worked), poured it out and squeegee'd it over the complete board using some pressure to force it into all the weave. Then I squeegee'd all I could back off also using a fair amount of pressure. I went in and ate lunch and piddled for a little to let it set some (70 degrees out and I'm outside). Went out and mixed up 10ozs, 8 would have been plenty but I wasn't sure, and brushed it on like I normally would.  Worked a charm! The premise being that you fill the weave and lose the contaminants in the first batch that you squeegee off allowing the second to lie clean. Since I work outside and can never get a "clean" board for a hot coat, this was great for me. Yeah, I still get minor dust, bugs, and the like that will always leave minor texture (saves on deck pads), but seems a clever idea.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.  :)

I just tried today a tip about hot coats I read on Swaylocks just the other day.  For my 8' board I mixed up 6ozs (4 would have worked), poured it out and squeegee'd it over the complete board using some pressure to force it into all the weave. Then I squeegee'd all I could back off also using a fair amount of pressure. I went in and ate lunch and piddled for a little to let it set some (70 degrees out and I'm outside). Went out and mixed up 10ozs, 8 would have been plenty but I wasn't sure, and brushed it on like I normally would.  Worked a charm! The premise being that you fill the weave and lose the contaminants in the first batch that you squeegee off allowing the second to lie clean. Since I work outside and can never get a "clean" board for a hot coat, this was great for me. Yeah, I still get minor dust, bugs, and the like that will always leave minor texture (saves on deck pads), but seems a clever idea.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:10 PM »
Biggest, what's your brush techniques on the second coat?

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
55N, the same as regular hot coat, or so I read.  Lengthwise, crosswise, angle, lengthwise, walk the rails and walk away.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
Big,  thanks. It was 43 years ago I did a hot coat on my first body board Build.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
Wow,55N! 43 yrs! That's cool! The scary part is you've just received info from someone who knows f**k all about what he's doing. Great thing about being a guy. Not knowing what you're doing never gets in the way of...well, let's go easy on ourselves and call it progress. Good luck with all your projects!

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
Advantage of having 4 year older brother and his friends.  They show you how to do stuff, good and bad...
built a skim board 7 yrs old. Even painted my TW initials on it as logo. Wish I had that thing now.
Then we made more skimboards,  skateboards out of laminated wood strips.
Then I shaped and made that body board alongside my brother who was making his second short board.
Got side tracked into motorcycles at age 8-17. Rebuilt my 125cc  cross motor when I was 14- my dad told me to just get a manual and read it. Was a desert rat.
Rebuilt a 66 Plymouth motor at 16 yrs old. Swore I'd never work on a car again. Kept that promise.
Got into windsurfing 1981after university. Made a short board windsurfer '82 while living in Malibu.
In between, Built mtbs from spare parts in '78, got into mtbs and  road cycling,  designed and brazed bike frames in 80'.
Made several more windsurfers after moving to Sweden.
Got into kayaking,  made a replica of 1919 Swedish skin on frame kayak. Made tortured plywood kayak.
Spent winter of '89 building mahogany lapstrake 5m open sailboat. 500 hrs work.
Learned Swedish.
More bike building and lots of cycling in '90s
Renovated 1920's house from ground up.  ( took 10 years).
Discovered kiteboarding '01. Made 10 or so kiteboards.
Designed house ( but didn't get to build it - paid someone to do it-that was painful)
Discovered SUP 2011.  Making 2nd sup board.  Looking forward to more.

Fishing around for next thing to build.  Thinking about paddles and  composite bikes using 3d printer.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 03:38:40 AM »
Saw that squeegee tip on sways, glad to know it works!

55, that's a crazy story man. Keep building!

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
Nice 8)
@rf.boardworks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
Well that's kind of an odd tip, I thought everyone did that. I usually mix a little microballons into the first coat to help with pinholes. squeegee it on, scrape it off, let it get semi-hard, wipe quickly with acetone, hotcoat. I think that's a basic production method. Every video I've ever seen from places like Cobra shows them doing exactly that except for the acetone wipedown, which I don't always do--usually if I let the epoxy get too hard I do the wipedown.

I don't remember where I got that from, there isn't anything I do with composites that is original, I'm always copying someone else.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:52:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal