Author Topic: Masters' Standup Paddling  (Read 3635 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Masters' Standup Paddling
« on: December 27, 2014, 07:57:45 AM »
My wife is a swimmer and attends masters' swimming classes three times a week. She has a coach who is a former Olympian (1968), and who kicks her butt each session. Since so many of us use standup paddling for workouts, I was wondering if there was any effort to organize our sport along these lines. I was thinking of organized, regular workouts with a coach.

As I think this through, I was thinking it could start with people just meeting regularly to work out. I'm considering doing something like that around here when the weather changes for the better.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Masters' Standup Paddling
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
I do nothing but master's standup paddling. I also do Master's downwinder's, as well as master's eating and sleeping. Boyum and I are a two person Master's program, Cove is no spring chicken, though sixty is just a dim flash of doom on the horizon, and Victor doesn't count because he looks like he's thirty five.

But it's a cool idea to have a regular program to improve our paddling and fitness. I'll talk about it to the guys--they'll probably through rocks at me, and I'll blame you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:08:28 PM »
Make sure the rocks aren't too big, PBill.

I'm seriously thinking about this for the spring. A fellow SUPer had a business on a lake not too far from me. I'm going to discuss hosting a regular workout.

Who knows?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
I wake up in the morning when the pain of lying in bed opens my eyes.  Been to those masters swim programs.  They're full on Nazis dead set on putting each other in a coffin.

Swimming is good though and part of my program.  Like to make biking a part as well but am afraid to be on the road.  We have maniacs driving here.

Who's the olympian? I remember 1968

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

Like to make biking a part as well but am afraid to be on the road.  We have maniacs driving here.

Hi Bill,

Have you checked out the mtn bike trail system in Makawao forest?  It is epic.  So fun that you will forget you are working out.  Swim/Bike is the dynamic duo.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
My wife's coach is named Avraham Melamed. My wife corrected me to say he was on the Israeli team in '64 and '68. He was also a coach at Munich in '72, and was in the next room when the machine guns were going off. I can't believe living through something like that. I've met him a few times. He's pugnacious, but underneath it is a really decent guy.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »

Like to make biking a part as well but am afraid to be on the road.  We have maniacs driving here.

Hi Bill,

Have you checked out the mtn bike trail system in Makawao forest?  It is epic.  So fun that you will forget you are working out.  Swim/Bike is the dynamic duo.

Shirley and I walk up there every so often and I've explored the bike trails that follow more of the fall line.  It is fantastic but a very long drive from paia and often rainy with red dirt slick.  Took my grandson up there and put him on a good bike and I went one with no suspension.  He had the ride of his life and I had a nightmare.  So I need equipment as well.  You have any stashed here you want to sell?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
It is fantastic but a very long drive from paia and often rainy with red dirt slick.

Wait...it is 9 miles :)  A Maliko is longer.

I wish I still had a bike there to let you use.  So much fun.  Check Bill's garage?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal