Author Topic: Stand Up @ Mav's Saturday ?  (Read 6258 times)

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stand Up @ Mav's Saturday ?
« on: December 21, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Watched on footage / pics on Surfline of incredible session.  Saw at least one or two SUP out there.  Any info ?  FWIW  looked like there was a 60 pack on it.  Wild.......

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stand Up @ Mav's Saturday ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
Didn't look at Mav's yesterday, but spent some time looking at Steamers Santa Cruz.  Waves were overhead plus.  There was one paddle boarder doing Pocahontas knee surfing like I do i.e. paddling into the wave on knees and then popping up.  Once popped up, he looked pretty competent. He was able to catch some pretty gnarly waves that way.  It still makes me cringe to see surfers jumping off the point there with waves crashing over the rocks.

Later in the day, there were numerous stand up boards out at Steamers, more that I have seen before, so maybe SUP is making some strides to get some acceptance over there.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »
I paddled out at the Lane yesterday.  About 4-5 sup's out between inside Steamer Lane and indicators.  One longboarder was giving grief to us stand ups.  Classic older guy, average long time surfer, but not as good as he thinks. Waves at inside lane were overhead, but the bombs dropping at outside middle peak were easily DOH+.  I paddled way outside to check out the waves and line up at outer middle peak, and there were about 10 guys outside.  Sat outside and watched for a couple sets.  I made sure I didn't get close enough to make any of the proners nervous.  The waves were bigger than I thought they would be and nobody caught any waves during the two sets I saw.  Several were paddling but did not catch any.  The big sets were swinging wide and as is typical for Outer middle peak, the drop was amazing, but then flattens out a bit.  But some  were connecting all the way through.  It would have been a perfect day for SUP at outside middle peak.  A good board with a little glide would have gotten all the waves I saw during those two sets.  And could have connected all the way into indicators.  It was tempting to move into the line up.  But I used to surf middle peak a lot on big days, and I remember how much power those waves have, and it can be easy to get caught inside.  There were some very large clean up sets during the two hours I was out.

Stopped by John Mels shop (Freeline Design) in the morning and he said all the boys were there early and heading up to Mavs. The swell was hitting 14 seconds up north but only 8 seconds in town, according to the buoys.  Waves down at Pleasure Point were much smaller than Steamer Lane, so its no surprise that Mavs was as big as it was.  Swell was really hitting well north of town.  It was great to see an SUP in the line up at Mavs.  I watched the rewind for awhile today, but never saw the SUP take off.  Might have been hard with 50+ in the line up, and some very big names out there.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
When I went out around Privates/Sharks Santa Cruz yesterday it was pretty tossy.  By the time I was too tired to go on, Privates looked great with shoulder to head highs that were giving the guys on the standard outside break forever rides with relatively calm conditions.
Wouldn't have been surprised it they made it over to the bay by the Capitola pier if they wanted.

I got one wave in the middle of Shark's and wound up in the middle of Privates.  It was so fast, I was surprised at how little time I was on the wave and how far I had gone. I was too tired to paddle back to Sharks, but the inside break at Privates was looking great, too.  I spent some time on the inside break at Privates  today and it was also pretty nice, though smaller today.  The studs from the main break would roll off, the wave would re-ignite and I could catch some strong ones going into the naked beach.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:24:46 PM by SUPcheat »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »
Didn't look at Mav's yesterday, but spent some time looking at Steamers Santa Cruz. 

Hey Carl, now that you are in the clan, you might as well sound the part.
It's Steamer Lane, no "s" on Steamer.

Long story how it got it's name. Ask me if you really want to know.
See you in the water.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
I'm in the clan?  Holy Moly, I didn't know, secret handshakes and no faux pas allowed. Hope I don't have to get a tattoo.

It'll take another few years to learn all the micro names for the breaks that the long term locals take for granted.  I want the area between Privates and Capitola named "Dongs" for the naked beach.

Anyway, I'll add to this a little.  The great Google Gods dished up an interview with Harry Mayo:

"Harry:

It was after the war, when wetsuits came out and the boards changed so that almost anybody could carry one. It was also that it became the fad in the movies and really started picking up. We never dreamt that it would become as big, powerful, and as money oriented as it has. In fact there was some good surf here a month ago and they said there were about 250 to 300 surfers between Steamers and Cowell Beach. Everybody said if it wasn't for the wetsuits they would not be out there.

Surfing at Steamer Lane in the early '40s
OLM:

Do you know how Steamer Lane got its name?
Harry:

Claude "Duke" Horan. He's the guy that named Steamer Lane. We were on the beach one day with a big winter storm and had a fire going up against the cliff to try and keep warm. The waves were really big and he looked outside and said, "My God, look outside, they're breaking clean out in the steamer lanes". He's referring to the shipping lanes outside. You'll hear other stories, but I'm sorry, that's how it happened."

Harry seems to take the same liberties and calls it Steamers at least once, so I guess it is a passable misdemeanor.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:53:10 PM by SUPcheat »

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »
The spot between Privates and Trees is known as Nudies.  Probably because both genders frequent the place.  On the minus tide yesterday, it was working pretty good there.  Nice to meet you on the beach, by the way.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
Nice to meet you, too , Andy. 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 02:05:21 PM »
You guys weren't naked when you met each other were you?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
The concept gets pretty boring after the first five minutes.  It looks like mostly old gomers at that beach, anyway, so I guess i would fit right in.

Errr, maybe I should phrase that differently.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »
Steve, the water was very cold, and you know what that means...

We were wearing wetsuits. 8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
.  There was one paddle boarder doing Pocahontas knee surfing like I do i.e. paddling into the wave on knees and then popping up.  Once popped up, he looked pretty competent. He was able to catch some pretty gnarly waves that way. 

Why on earth would anyone want to do it that way? Am I missing something.....sounds utterly daft.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 05:43:26 PM »
If things are really choppy/windy it can work pretty well.  Standing up in wind and chop while rotating around to catch a wave AND monitor the incoming proners can be tough.  Also, kneesing and facing the lineup allows me to survey the lineup a bit on the inside and snap around very quickly when nobody is coming or the proners drop off.

On some waves, being lower in the center of gravity in knee position generates a nice pop up on some waves that are harder to catch standing up.

Maybe not for the purists but  it works out a lot of times for me even if kook.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
If things are really choppy/windy it can work pretty well.  Standing up in wind and chop while rotating around to catch a wave AND monitor the incoming proners can be tough.  Also, kneesing and facing the lineup allows me to survey the lineup a bit on the inside and snap around very quickly when nobody is coming or the proners drop off.

On some waves, being lower in the center of gravity in knee position generates a nice pop up on some waves that are harder to catch standing up.

Maybe not for the purists but  it works out a lot of times for me even if kook.

Okay...got you  :) Whatever works for you......just sounded harder when I read it. You might set a new trend  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal