Author Topic: What kind of glue for attaching Handles to the paddle shaft  (Read 13362 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
What kind of glue for attaching Handles to the paddle shaft
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »
So I treated myself to a new paddle and have a pretty good idea of how long it's going to be but I would like the ability to shorten if further if necessary.

What kind of glue are you using to attach your handle to the paddle shaft? I'm hoping there's a glue you can buy at Home Deport that will provide a good hold but also allow me to remove the handle  and re-attach it if I use a blowdryer.

Thanks.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: What kind of glue for attaching Handles to the paddle shaft
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
Hot glue and glue gun...we've been using this successfully since 2005...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
So I treated myself to a new paddle and have a pretty good idea of how long it's going to be but I would like the ability to shorten if further if necessary.

What kind of glue are you using to attach your handle to the paddle shaft? I'm hoping there's a glue you can buy at Home Deport that will provide a good hold but also allow me to remove the handle  and re-attach it if I use a blowdryer.

Thanks.

Wait, What???
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
I still have duct tape on a $350 paddle.

...but I'm a redneck.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
So, yes, you can use hot glue, especially if your paddle is designed for it. Some manufacturers still prohibit it. I don't know why.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
I still have duct tape on a $350 paddle.

...but I'm a redneck.

My Dad used to say that if it can't be fixed with a Hammer and Duct Tape, it can't be fixed!

BTW, picked up some hot glue and some glue sticks from Michael's today....total cost...about $7...Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 05:47:48 AM »
So, yes, you can use hot glue, especially if your paddle is designed for it. Some manufacturers still prohibit it. I don't know why.

Kialoa even goes as far as to specify "slow cure 24 hour epoxy". 

I like 5 min epoxy, great hold and will come apart with heat if needed.

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
Any 5 min epoxy will do the trick.
Recently though I've decided to forgo such permanence, at least insofar as a paddle not used for surfing.
Some weeks ago I decided my V-drive was somewhat too short so I heat gunned it and gained another inch by raising it up and taping it.

(Oh, hmm, if eastbound is lurking we might expect yet another silly "get a room" comment. That's ok, we all grew up with those who fell off the back of a turnip truck and barely survived).

The point is that I've not epoxied it back - the wrap is perfect; haven't detected the slightest movement even though I've torqued it through repeatedly rough outings.

Why bother with the epoxy I say. Flexibility rules...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 05:21:16 AM »
easy sterbo--"get a room" was a joke--if you werent so new here, you'd know not to take anything i write personally, or as an offense.

not sure why your comments on paddle assembly would warrant "get a room" to the extent that the lovefest that evolved between you and PB did--but, hey, could be you're especially fond of your paddle, too? maybe even your glue gun and duct tape? whatever floats your boat!

growing up as i did here in NYC, didn't see a lot of turnip trucks around--appreciate your urbane wisdom ,tho--and your knowledge of turnips

have a great monday!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »
I thought it was the, "gained another inch by raising it up and taping it" comment... ;D

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:51 AM »
taping may put the blue pill out of business, tho ive read it's the most prescribed med on the planet!

or, there's this new option i was horrified to learn of:

http://nypost.com/2015/03/14/can-penis-or-vagina-injections-give-you-a-better-sex-life/
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 04:44:19 AM »
Ace hardware. Mini gun and plenty of hot glue stix! Lo budget. Nothin' beats a cheap pair on sunglasses!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:48:31 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:51:44 AM »
20 dollar heat gun works like a charm--not so much the hairdryer, which takes a while.

i did write "not a hairdryer" in sharpie all over the gun, for fear a daughter would light her hair on fire!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 05:46:15 AM »
Ace hardware. Mini gun and plenty of hot glue stix! Lo budget. Nothin' beats a cheap pair on sunglasses!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:12 AM »
A heat gun works great, and has a lot of advantages over a hot glue gun in that you can reposition the part if you screw up or want to change something. The "open" time for hot glue is fairly short. But you need to be careful, especially with foam-filled parts like blades and handles. If you overheat the parts you can crack the skin or damage the epoxy in the carbon or fiberglass matrix.

I was initially concerned about heating carbon parts when we were developing Ke Nalu paddles, especially since we were talking about repeated heat cycles for adjusting length or exchanging blades or handles. I met with a composite engineer who was one of the lead engineers on the dreamliner project. He told me repeated heat cycles strengthen carbon composites as long as you avoid critical temperatures. So heat parts just enough for the glue to flow, and no hotter. It's better to warm areas very evenly then to blast away, and don't forget to warm the shaft. When you have the part where you want it you can either leave it undisturbed for a few minutes, or if you're impatient like me, touch a wet cloth to the surface.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal