Author Topic: Fitbit and SUP?  (Read 16860 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fitbit and SUP?
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Anyone have a FitBit and use the full health maintenance and diet functions?  What do you think?

A relative just gave me a FitBit Flex for Christmas.  It's supposedly waterproof to 30ft and I'm kind of excited to use the full functions of it to track my diet and exercise.   I'm wondering if I'm can track calorie burn while SUP surfing.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fitbit and SUP?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
A relative just gave me a FitBit Flex for Christmas.  It's supposedly waterproof to 30ft and I'm kind of excited to use the full functions of it to track my diet and exercise.   I'm wondering if I'm can track calorie burn while SUP surfing.

You might have to be the guinea pig for the FitBit.

I'd love to hear feedback on any monitor since I'm looking to start a training program, and almost all of the programs I've found require keeping track of ones heart rate. I'm not against the idea, but I need something that's waterproof and doesn't use a chest-strap. I ordered a Samsung Gear Fit (waiting for delivery) but I don't know if it will be a keeper. It has a an IP67 rating which means it can stand up to 30 minutes submersion—I'm slow to get back on my board, but I'm not THAT slow—but only to 1 meter. A depth of a little over three feet might not cut the mustard. If it doesn't work or turns out to be incompatible with my Samsung phone, then I'll try the Scosche Rhythm+.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »
I used the Fitbit for a while but lost it on a SUP session. All I can say is if you are using it on the water make sure you have the extra safety band that stops it from inadvertently falling off your wrist. I used it to track activity throughout the day and in particular sleep at night. I continued to use my Garmin XT910 in addition to the FitBit to track actual proper physical activities like running and SUP. I lost the Fitbit after about a month and did not replace it though. If you are disciplined enough to track diet even for 2 weeks or so you wil quickly learn what your normal intake is and this is very powerful in figuring out what's happening with weight variation (in my case gain). I believe it is 70% diet and 30% exercise, at least when it comes to weight control.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
I've been looking at a FitBit myself. I'm very curious about it.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:26:15 AM »
I used the Fitbit for a while but lost it on a SUP session. All I can say is if you are using it on the water make sure you have the extra safety band that stops it from inadvertently falling off your wrist. I used it to track activity throughout the day and in particular sleep at night. I continued to use my Garmin XT910 in addition to the FitBit to track actual proper physical activities like running and SUP. I lost the Fitbit after about a month and did not replace it though. If you are disciplined enough to track diet even for 2 weeks or so you wil quickly learn what your normal intake is and this is very powerful in figuring out what's happening with weight variation (in my case gain). I believe it is 70% diet and 30% exercise, at least when it comes to weight control.

losing it while excercising sounds a a major design flaw.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »
I saw on one of the FitBit ads there IS someone on a paddleboard. Blink and you'll miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qVi_nF6y8
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
I saw on one of the FitBit ads there IS someone on a paddleboard. Blink and you'll miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qVi_nF6y8

Did you notice that they mention the dog and not the actual activity?  :P (0:13 in the video)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Darryn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Not sure how it will go, fitbit seems to struggle with even bike riding, emits lots of weird vibrations. Its good for walking around and sleeping though when calibrated against a a tom tom multisport (gps)it overcounts the steps by around 20percent.
I am not sure it will pick up the paddle movement as a step.  Also after trying very hard we couldn't get the data to load on to map my fitness, it says it compatible  but really it only worked once and that was when we used the iphone to track location data and integrate with the fitbit.
All that said though the app for fitbit is very good, just doesnt play well with other apps.
goodluck, Darryn

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »

losing it while excercising sounds a a major design flaw.

Yes. Major. Though I realised the one I had was not the Fitbit Flex but the Garmin Vivofit which is similar. The issue is that unlike a watch strap it did not have that "belt loop" to keep the strap from becoming unclipped. Garmin realised this and offered the loops free to registered users later and now supply them with the loops.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:30:50 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
Bet the designers have spent quality time on a treadmill while Tweeting.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
I had the the Nike fuel band, and now garmin vivofit.  They both measure "some" paddle motion but not a lot. Certainly not what it is worth when I arrive after 6 miles of intense activity.  Something like 1500 steps.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
I used to use the Fitbit Zip on paddles (clips to waistband). I just put it in my waist pack in a ziploc bag. It's pretty accurate in counting each paddle stroke as a step. Of course taking a paddle stroke is a lot more work than taking a step - but I was pretty happy with it given the limitations of the situation.

I now use a Garmin Vivofit since it's more convenient on my wrist. I put a metal clasp on it to it won't fall off. Already lost one Vivofit using the original band. It's a lot more convenient to put the band on and take it off using the clasp as well. With the clasp, I can swim, dive, etc. and not worry about it falling off. I ordered the clasp from RoadID (Elite clasp) for under $10 and it works perfectly: http://www.roadid.com/Common/LearnMore.aspx?PID=38 You can order the clasp alone for under $10.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
Sync your Flex to "my fitness pal" and log everything to that App instead of of Fitbit app/web site... Much better food tracking...and will also sync to map-my-fitness.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »
My wife just bought me a Fitbit Surge out of the blue. I definitely won't wear it to SUP surf, but wondering about what to log to track that per hour?

May wear it on flatwater, anyone have any experience with it?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
I found that it does not accurately track you while you are paddling.  It did track my increased activity, but treated it like I was walking and SUP burns way more calories.  Therefore, I used the fact that it tracked the exact time that I spent paddling and then I manually entered the calorie burn at 500 calories per hour.  A figure I looked up online.  That worked out fine. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:12:07 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal