Author Topic: SIMSUP Vent Plug - Water is coming out around the edges after a session  (Read 11653 times)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIMSUP Vent Plug - Water is coming out around the edges after a session
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
Let me know if you need a referral to a Repair Shop..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »

0.8 Nm max torque

7 in lb. Barely any torque.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:02:38 PM by DW »

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks DW.

Received a reply from Kirk. Gotta say, the guy is excellent at returning emails....this is not the first time I've received a reply on a Sunday!

He said the gap is normal but wanted me to remove the vent plug and take a look at the seal. Below is my reply. Would love to hear some peoples comments about my questions...

"Took out the vent plug and took a look. Both O rings looked to be in new shape.

Cleaned the area and put the vent plug back in.

The vent plug appeared to be not quite tight enough (when I first loosened it) but then again, I'm not sure how tight it should be.

When using a quarter to tighten it...how do it know if it's tight enough but not too tight?
When I took off the vent plug, there was a constant hissing sound. Should I keep the vent plug off until that noise goes away?
How long should I wait before I go back in the water with it?
Do you have an idea of what the issue might be?"

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Hissing means the plug was sealed tight. You just released the internal pressure to equalize. This all assumes it's a solid, non venting plug. Sounds like it's working fine.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
Speaking of vent plugs, did you know that you should either replace or clean out the membrane every so often?

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 04:49:33 AM »
We've been using the Casica GORE-TEX® vents for a number of years with 100% success...

uh, the new board i got last summer that leaked was a SUP Sports board (8*6 WD). Love the board, but the vent plug didn't work and when we took it off at the shop i bought it at, there was clearly water inside. there didn't seem to be any problem with over tightening or under tightening, but really...who knows? We dried, put in a brand new plug, and it still got water inside. And i found water in there after i took a replacement board as well, but just realized at that point that these plugs don't work, and I need to store it upside down to drain it every time. I just wish they weren't used, period. if you plan on abusing your board by leaving it in the sun all day, or if you travel with it, then maybe a vent should be optional, but i wish no-vent was an option too! 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 08:13:46 AM »
.......but just realized at that point that these plugs don't work.......

The plugs work.

The problem is not the Goretex plug itself. My best guess, a faulty housing install. Anytime you laminate plastic into a board, whether vent, or handle, its tricky and sometimes shit happens.

You can certainly opt for no vent and go custom. That works too, provided you don't do anything crazy, like locking it inside a hot car.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
I had to return a board because water leaked in near the fin box, then worked its way out through the vent plug. My replacement board dripped from the vent plug, and I was told that a little drip was normal and that the water was not coming from the board itself but just from the plug area! I hope that's right?
Good luck

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »
I had to return a board because water leaked in near the fin box, then worked its way out through the vent plug. My replacement board dripped from the vent plug, and I was told that a little drip was normal and that the water was not coming from the board itself but just from the plug area! I hope that's right?
Good luck

Thanks Fanman. As you and DW mentioned, that's definitely what I'm hoping. I've inspected it and tightened it (hopefully just right ;)) and we'll see if that corrects the problem. Board seems to be about the same weight so that is good. I was thinking about laying the board in my garage and pouring a little fresh water around the opening and checking if it's still there in an hour.

Definitely some informative information on this subject....always learning from you guys!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
Aloha beached,
I heard about this from our East Coast distributor...but, they told me that the plug was not tightened enough to squeeze the O-ring at the factory...and, the shop didn't check it...so no doubt that H20 leaked in...sounded to me like the problem could have been averted with due diligence...

We check every board that goes out of our doors and have never had one issue...that board you had an issue with came direct from the factory through our East Coast distributor to your shop...

One thing that we did find was there were a few boards that had polishing compound around the vents...which would ruin them...we caught it and replaced them...again, we inspect every single plug at our shop...we also tell people to keep their hands off the plugs...Pete Casica told me that the caps over the membranes are ultrasonically welded...once you break one of the little nibs, it's not just gonna snap back on...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
If rinsed with fresh water after every session, do these plugs ever need to be replaced? (does salt eventually plug up the gore tex membrane)?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 05:40:58 AM »
On a warm day, submerge your board at the plug.  If you see bubbles coming out, you know it's still doing its job.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal