Author Topic: SIMSUP Vent Plug - Water is coming out around the edges after a session  (Read 11651 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Boy, I sure hope this question isn't too stupid but here goes...

I've had a SIMSUP S3 for a little over a year now. Bought the Production model.

Recently, I've noticed that water appears to be coming out from around the vent plug. Today, there was quite a bit on my car roof when I went to put away the board (Several tablespoons I think). I noticed that at one side of the vent plug there appears to be a little room between the actual plug and the vent plug hole. I can almost get my finger nail in there but not quite so the gap is very, very tiny, but it appears to be enough for water to get in there.

Does this mean that water is getting into the EPS foam core or is this something I don't need to worry about?

BTW, I've never tempered with the plug (i.e. never tried to loosen it or tighten it).

Thanks.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIMSUP Vent Plug - Water is coming out around the edges after a session
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
 Try putting the board in the sun if you can find any,then after it heats up it will start pissing water and you should be able to see exactly where it's coming from. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »
You definitely need to worry about it. Certainly sounds like you have a leaky plug.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 05:05:03 AM »
my experience is that these plugs simply don't work. i think most don't notice it, though. i bought a new board recently with a plug, and water kept coming out on my roof. i took it back, got another board...same thing. it's not a lot of water, but it gets in there. since so many boards (un)necessarily  have these ridiculous things, you just have to live with them.  i store all my boards upside down now, letting them drain after each session.

i wonder if it's acceptable to take the plug out and fill in the entire hole with epoxy or something? 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:07:44 AM by beached »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 05:22:45 AM »
What kind of plug?

Chinese solid plug, or authentic GoreTex

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:26:19 AM »
I was wondered the same thing myself. Just got my new Simsup S3 and noticed the FCS handle had the vent plug in it. Since it's located down inside the handle the plug stays underwater during use. Anyway, I tried to hand tighten the plug with a socket (no handle) and the plug itself broke off. Didn't really trust the thing anyway, so I was able to back out the remaining piece of thread. I then filled the hole with white Marine Tex. I'll just be careful not to leave the board in the sun or hot vehicle.  Most of the other surf and sup boards I've owned have not had vents and can't think of any real issues.

If you think you already have water in the board that may create more problems if you seal the vent. I called Green Light yesterday and they have Gortex vent plugs in stock.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
What kind of plug?

Chinese solid plug, or authentic GoreTex

i know the one, er two, that was definitely getting water in them had the Goretex plug.  Another custom board seems to have some other fixed type, and that board is always heavier after i use it. leaking is the only thing i can think of that would cause that. My SIMSUP ST also feels heavier after use, so i assume it is also leaking.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
Send me a picture.

I need to get a visual.

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
Here's a picture of the Vent Plug (if I did it correctly. If not, I've attached it as well).

The Black Arrows indicate where there appears to be a razor thin gap. However, water comes out from around the whole plug area.

There is no hissing, just the initial water.

It's hard to read it but I believe it says, "DE Sports Air Vent".

Please let me know what you guys think my next steps should be (i.e. pull it out and inspect it or replace it)?

Thanks.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »
There is supposed to be a little o ring to seal it. If it is not there or crushed by over tightening water will get in.

The ones at the bottom of the FCS handle are the worst. Pete at Hawaii Glass helped me resolve an issue with my Rawson..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »
We've been using the Casica GORE-TEX® vents for a number of years with 100% success...they are up to the task at hand...it's all we use in our custom and production boards...Pete is a brilliant engineer and I've had lengthy conversations with him on this application...

I love seeing air bubbles being vented...

Buyer beware..."automagic" vent plugs are not all created the same...and, as DW has mentioned...there are knockoffs...but, just as bad are vents being sold within the US surf industry under the guise of doing the same thing...by the time you realize the mistake...it's too late...H20 is in the core of your board...
Manual vents like the ones used on the vast majority of Cobra boards can fail...and, are only as good as the operator's diligence/awareness...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 10:01:22 AM »
lunchbox,

it could be a tiny amount of water draining from a cavity hidden under that cover. So there is a small chance its normal. You really should contact Kirk.

beached,

I've never seen a leaking plug that wasn't from human error. The most common human error is the shop selling the board and forgetting to tighten it. The other is over tightening. Casica gives a torque spec. Torque them and tell the owner to keep his hands off it.  :D 

Boards feeling heavier after use, is almost always water weight stuck to the deck pad. Even closed cell pads gain water weight. Water sticks to the porous surface.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:03:36 AM by DW »

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.

it could be a tiny amount of water draining from a cavity hidden under that cover. So there is a small chance its normal. You really should contact Kirk.

This is what I was hoping it was. I've taken your advice and contacted Kirk so we'll see what he says.

I'm curious though, if I was to need to replace the plug, is it as simple as just unscrewing it and then replacing it with a GoreTex plug similar to the one Wardog mentioned above or is it a more involved process?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
No...you will have to drill that one out and install a Casica GORE-TEX® retro-fit vent plug...
Easy enough to do...and, not much money for peace of mind...

http://www.foamez.com/casica-gore-tex-retrofit-vent-plug-selfventing-p-780.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
Just drilling a hole and gluing a vent plug in there is not ideal.  You really want to have a layer of fiberglass over the flange of the cup.  The board will expand and contract with heat, and any hard inserts such as inboxes, handles and vent/leash plugs will not expand at the same rate, which will lead to hairline cracks between the board and the inserts.

Also NEVER EVER tighten one of the goretex vents with a socket.  It will shear off the nut and your vent will be ruined.  You can drop a socket over the nut for initial installation, but only use hand pressure directly on the socket head to tighten (dont use the wrench arm).  Filling a faulty vent with sealer is a temporary fix and will likely lead to more problems down the road. 

I believe it was Nat Hereschoff that said there are only 2 colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint it black.   I tend to agree, and I wish all boards were at least white bottomed.  This would make any venting totally unnecessary. 

Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal