Author Topic: Another of a million dumb questions......  (Read 7671 times)

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Another of a million dumb questions......
« on: December 20, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
So here's my next dumb question:

I was out today in really crappy, well, crap.  I was having a hard time on the takeoffs with the chop and steepness of basically shorebreak.  So I found that taking off in a hybrid or full surf stance was more effective than the front way (what's that called?).  At least I think it was.  Do most folks takeoff with their feet in a normal paddle stance and switch on the takeoff, or do they get into a hybrid or full surf stance when they're paddling for the wave?

I bet this gets asked a lot.  Sorry for the repetition, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Dave

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another of a million dumb questions......
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
I'm always in some sort of staggered stance. What I do notice however, is that the wonkier it is with chop, cross swell, wind, whatever, that my stance gets even longer front to back when I'm going for a wave to easier shift my weight to allow for the wonkiness. Hope that made sense, cause it doesn't to me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
Next thing you're going to find is that if you're going for a wave and you know you aren't going to make it, you can cross step or hop further forward on the board, like way forward, and paddle like hell to get the wave. Once you start the drop it will be a little slow, so you'll have plenty of time to get back and get the nose up a little. Can't do that on a prone board, so it will be new.

Then when you're getting into really big, steep waves you'll find that as soon as you make the drop it helps a lot to take a big step back and crouch, with your back straight and head up, paddle behind you. Slightly wide surf stance--not stick bug, you can't move in that position.

Just thought I'd get ahead of the next two questions.

Have fun. Bitchin' ain't it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Dave, rather than asking a dumb question, you are discovering the right way to do it.  A majority of surf SUPrs do exactly what you do.  I've seen a few good SUP surfers take off in what you call the "front way" (feet side by side, facing forward), but most of the great ones I've seen are doing exactly as you describe.  Keep up the good work, you will be showing us all up soon!  :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:51:24 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
Look at this guy he almost never has a foot foward stance and he rips.
Top to bottom is nearly impossible for anybody but wider than normal surf stance
before the wave hits is the best chance for making it I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ID4ud0Rc2v4#!

Also chop and wind is no fun on these things.
I would try to practice paddling with a surf stance and doing weighted tail turns .
With a standard stance paddling stance you have no way to transfer weight forward or backward
that iis essential have that control when dropping in . Also this helps prevent falling backward
when the wave hits you.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:02:14 PM by ctuna »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
Huh? He's almost always in a surfing stance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
I thought this was a good "stance" thread:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25175.0.html
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
As I have "evolved" I have been paddling into the waves in a surf stance.  I will face the wave, see if it empty, go into surf stance and turn around in surf stance, then modify the step back from surf stance to stink bug or whatever depending on what is coming.

When I was taking forever to learn step back surf stance at all, I would catch whatever in parallel stance then move my feet back to some kind of surf stance and pray it was OK and I wouldn't fall off.

I see quite a few reasonably skilled people catch the wave in parallel stance before stepping back when the wave hits and they seem to do fine that way.  I guess it depends on how fast your feet are and what you like to do more than any particular propriety.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »
"Parallel stance" is a common description of the neutral paddling stance... "foot forward" could be confused as "surf stance"

Mungo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »
I generally catch waves in paddle stance but if the wave is steep or breaking I'll switch to surf stance much earlier. With paddle stance I find that I get better board trim and therefore better glide and I use the foot change to kick the board forward and pump it down the wave (timing is the key).

Surf stance is good when the waves are steep enough to pick you up and go because it helps prevent pearling and, of course, no foot changes are necessary. But the tendency with surf stance is to over-weight the back foot, slow the board and drop off the back of the wave. Also, if I'm paddling hard for a wave I prefer the stability that the paddle stance gives.

Of course, the key to success is less about your stance and more about how you use your paddle  :D

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
Thanks you guys.

The vid Ctuna showed is sort of what I've been experimenting with.....pretty much being in a staggered/surf/hybrid stance a lot.  Although, I wish I sup surfed 1/4 as well as the guy on the vid.  Which brings up the whole weight to volume issue again.  That guy on the vid looks pretty light and the board appears to have relatively a lot of displacement.  He's probably got more liters than lbs, which is the opposite for me.  I got way more lbs than liters.  It's looks way easier to be in a staggered/surf stance when you've got a relatively floaty board.

Man, I got to lose the trappings of the good life (lbs) I've been leading in the last few years.

Here's my latest experiment, which has to do with learning a pivot turn:  I stand there facing the waves, or at an angle, and when I see one I start paddling and kick back to make a pivot turn and reverse direction.  When I'm facing the right way, I shift my weight to my front foot and paddle like hell, staying in the staggered stance and then completely switching to a regular surf stance.  I think I'm at a 50% success rate with that, but I was stoked to see the guy in the vid do that.

This is a complete blast!  I've got 2 weeks off from work for the holidays and I basically surfing every day for as long as my legs will take it.  It's like when I was a kid learning how to surf.  Stoked!

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
That dude is light compared to his board. Also it looks like is very comfortable
in full surf stance all the time. He really has a lot of control sinking the tail or
sidestepping forward to the nose to paddle drop in or whatever. When I go full surf
stance to paddle one of my issues is not being able to hold a straight line.
Yes I know I am suppose to sink the rail to go straight , but it is still a problem and
switching sides when trying to get on a wave usually upset the paddling rhythm and balance
t to the point its not worth it.  Being in the right spot and not being to quick to paddle seems
to work out better.  Also in the video his wave judgement is supreme he can turn around in the right spot and only needs a few easy strokes to get in most of the time.
I keep going back an looking at this video an picking up stuff for instance look how effectice
his paddle use is and how he anticipates which side he will need the paddle on
next. I still am not that effective at using my paddle to turn on a wave though I am
much better at bracing with it than I use to be .

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:32:41 PM by ctuna »

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »
I teach my students to take off in forward stance (both feet parallel) in small waves to waist high.  This is great for beginners as they can continue to paddle as they were on flat water, without complicating things too much with all the new info of catching wave. 

In waist + waves, i recommend putting one foot back or jumping back depending on the size or situation of the wave - green vs breaking.  Speed is important was well, use a quick short cadence to catch the wave. I see a lot of folks using those board length long strokes but can't get the speed up enough thus wipe out upon contact.

but in either wave size, each his own in terms of personal style, type of board, wave etc.  (try both).
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
The only time I'm in a parallel stance is if it's small and I'm on a really long board...my 12-6 or 14. Other than that I always have at least a slight staggered stance even paddling flatwater unless its glass and I'm just cruising. I need the extra balance a slight stagger offers. In bigger waves or smaller boards it ranges from a slight stagger to full on foot on the tail and pray depending on the size and steepness of the wave.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal