Author Topic: Last "what board" post before I'm buying  (Read 9763 times)

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Last "what board" post before I'm buying
« on: December 20, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
Ok, I'm confident that this will be my last post.  I'm sick of looking and ready to buy.

This will be my first SUP.  I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and looking for a touring/fitness/flat water board.  Would like to stay around a grand, give or take

I was originally interested in a wood/bamboo, but after see the Starboard All Star in a shop, I'm open to non-wood. Really liked the look of that board.  So here's where we're at:

1. Surftech Flowmaster Craft wood - Found it online for $899 new, which seems to be a pretty nice deal.  Sale ends this weekend so need to decide on this one pretty fast.
2. Slingshot Nitro 12'6" - local shop is selling these and we can get a pair, a planing board for the wife, too, for $2100.  Can't find much on these, though.  They look nice, though.
3. Bic Wing - really like the blue limited version.  Seems to be a pretty popular board?  Trying to search around now for a good sale

I also really like the recessed deck of some of these.  Any others that I'm missing that I should look into.  I see the Naish glide mentioned, but that one doesn't seem to catch my eye for some reason.   I was also previously considering the BoardWords Great Bear, but I missed the sale and now I think that one is over my price range.
Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Last "what board" post before I'm buying
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »
Check out Jimmy Lewis Blade II on closeout. 995 plus 99 flat rate shipping. I bought one! Great flatwater board for half price.. 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
thanks - that green is nice.  I like this.  So this would be a good first board?  I guess not as stable as something 32" wide, but something you can grow into without becoming frustrated?
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
I guess not as stable as something 32" wide, but something you can grow into without becoming frustrated?

No, not as stable as something 32" wide. Whether or not you can grow into without losing patience really depends on you. If you have great natural balance or prior surf experience, you'll probably be fine. If you don't mind falling a lot the first few times out (and really, it's not a bad idea) you'll probably be fine. If you're easily frustrated, go wider.

If you're really not sure and you're thinking of buying a second board anyway for your wife to use, why not get one of each? You can take turns on them, see what fits who better. Don't like one put it up for sale. At their current pricing you won't lose much on the secondary market.

If you're still interested in an inflatable, Amazon.com has a "Goldbox" deal on the Naish One coming up at 6:40pm ET today (roughly 20 minutes). I'm not an inflatable fan, but others like them just fine.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
Wife wants a smaller planing board.  I think the Slingshot she liked was a little over 8'.  I'm not sure that would float me, so we may not be able to trade boards too easily. 

Yeah, I guess that's my hope, that it wouldn't be too bad to switch out the board if it ended up being totally wrong.

The part I'm not sure about is the gulf.  Most of my riding will be in protected water like bayou's and tampa bay, which is usually pretty flat.  But I'd like to get out in the Gulf, too, which can get a little more choppy.  I guess I just don't have enough experience to know what a less wide board would be like out there in semi-chop in the gulf.  I guess most have a couple boards?
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
Hi amheck... hee hee... you are flying blind, as we all were when we started. You will know what you need after you buy your first board.... and you will buy more ;)

Disclosure: I am not a race board freak.... but I spend 1/2 my life flat-water paddling, mostly on surf SUPs.

The first board is a learning experience, from there you define how you want to pursue this sport.
The boards you mentioned were as narrow as 28" and as wide as 32"... those will have completely different qualities because of width. The 28" will be challenging but faster and the 32" will be much more stable, but slower, which is fine for learning, touring, fitness and flat-water.

The Jimmy Lewis mrbig just bought looks pretty sweet... and should suit you just fine... quality is better than most of your picks.... GREAT price!

I have another board for you to consider....the punch line on this option is worth the read.

11'  x 31 Odyssey "SUP Tour" ... a division of TahoeSUP.

only 28 lbs.... don't know the volume, but I weigh in at over 230 in wetsuit gear, and it floated me very well.

I really liked this boards, it is stable, paddled very well and comfortable on the feet. I loved the super flat deck

Not a great handle, but at 28 lbs it is good enough.

At 11', it is a very easy board to move around, transport and store....they appear to be very well built and tough.
It is also a great size for your wife.. and light. She will like that.

Punchline:
Holiday Sale price now at TahoeSUP $699 .... you can get 2 fine boards for under $1,400  ;D ;D ;D
Or buy the Jimmy Lewis for you and this for your wife for under $1700

spend the savings on a pair of Ke Nalu paddles, which you will keep for life.

Happy shopping! Let us know what you end up buying and how you are doing on them.

link to sale:
http://shoptahoesup.com/shop/odyssey-sup-tour-stand-up-paddle-board/

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
hmm....the Odyssey, I didn't know they were a division of Tahoe.  There's a SUP shop out by the beach that advertises them (and the Rubicons) and I had always dismissed them for whatever reason.  That $699 is a heck of a price.  Not as much bling as the Jimmy Lewis - something to be said for that.  But the $699 price is pretty nuts for that.  thanks.

and yeah, flying blind is pretty accurate.  It's tough taking in all of this info and making decisions without the experience, as I guess you all know.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Last &quot;what board&quot; post before I'm buying
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to take the advice of the experienced people here. I was in your shoes four years ago. My wife actually had a SUP, but I wanted one of my own. I was recommended an NSP board, which I still own and love. That said, just make sure your first board isn't a highly specialized board. Something general and relatively easy to paddle is perfect.

That Tahoe Odyssey does look like a good deal. As long as you don't want to surf it, that seems like a perfect first board. The Bic Wing is a good, tough board too, although a lot more money. Sometimes LLBean or REI has good sales. Right now REI has the Wing for $200 of the list, BTW.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
supthecreek and Ichabod Spoonbill give excellent advice. I'll just add a few observations to what they said:

♦ Length affects speed. Give up a foot-and-a-half in length and you give up some speed. It might not seem like a big deal when you're learning, by yourself, but start to paddle with others and you'll miss it. If you really want something wide, you can get a 12'6", 32"W Surf Flowmaster for $749 at West Marine. Just sayin'…

♦ If your first board doesn't turn out to be your dream board and you don't want or need to keep it, it would probably be easier to sell a Jimmy Lewis Blade II for closer to what you paid, than it would be to sell an Odyssey or Flowmaster.

Forgive me if this was already discussed in another thread, but have you ridden any of the boards you're considering purchasing? 

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »
Wow, first board jitters.  Lot easier 6 or 7 years ago with choices...

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 06:10:00 AM »

Forgive me if this was already discussed in another thread, but have you ridden any of the boards you're considering purchasing?

I've got about 30 min SUP experience and that was on a plastic Yolo board 2 summer ago at a resort.  :D

Going to a shop to check out the Bic Wing today and then will hit another shop tomorrow that has the Odyssey and also has some Jimmy Lewis Boards.

Madmax, did you mean to say "without"?  Yeah, I hate buyers remorse and am just trying to do everything I can to avoid it.
JL Blade II
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 06:28:45 AM »

I've got about 30 min SUP experience and that was on a plastic Yolo board 2 summer ago at a resort.  :D

Going to a shop to check out the Bic Wing today and then will hit another shop tomorrow that has the Odyssey and also has some Jimmy Lewis Boards.

Madmax, did you mean to say "without"?  Yeah, I hate buyers remorse and am just trying to do everything I can to avoid it.

Yes sir.  Really consider how much time you'll be where on the board.  Go with your gut an not your ego.  If it's not fun, you spent too much money.  Get out there.  :)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »
All I know is that I really haven't been looking at boards like those but the deals on the Odyessy and the Flowmaster have really caught my eye. Fill a niche in a quiver for sure....almost to good to pass on. Gee......thanks.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
ha ha lucabrasi... I fully understand... it happened to me last week  ;D

The reason I am familiar with the Odyssey boards is because a friend has a SUP school and he got a fleet new Odyssey boards for next summer. He wanted to do a comp demo and invited me along so we could swap boards between the 11' SUPtour and the 12' Paddlecraft.

I started on the 12' and was in love within 5 strokes. I simply liked the way it sat low in the water, moved quietly and was super stable. it's not fast at top end, but it moves very easily at cruising speed. He could tell I really liked it and said I could have one of his fleet at a great deal. I couldn't pass it up ;D

I got the 12' Paddlecraft, because it suits my winter behavior... super stable and unbreakable moulded thermo plastic for my ice paddling and picture taking. I didn't suggest it in this thread because at full retail price, it's the same as the Jimmy Lewis and pound for pound, the JL deal is better. I would have gotten the 11' SUPtour if I was paying retail.

It's already taken me on some magical winter tours... gotta go, I'm meeting Geoff C  for a miniwinder;D

I will do a review at some point, but here's a teaser on the interesting shape.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
All I know is that I really haven't been looking at boards like those but the deals on the Odyessy and the Flowmaster have really caught my eye. Fill a niche in a quiver for sure....almost to good to pass on. Gee......thanks.

You're not kidding. A little voice in my head keeps saying, "Well, you meant to get a 12'6" board…"  :o

I hope by "check out" you mean "stand on a paddle".  ;)That's really going to be the best way to find the board that's best for you.

Don't worry about buyers remorse. It only applies if you end up leaving the board sitting in the garage never to see the light of day.
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal