Author Topic: Cuba?  (Read 6923 times)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cuba?
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
As an American, should I be excited at the sup prospects if we normalize relations with Cuba?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cuba?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
Cuba is definitely on my list of place to visit soon. Living in San Diego it is relatively easy to get there from Tijuana, Mexico. Several of my friend have gone there on surf trips and have come back telling me what a great experience it has been. Now I just have to get there before the cruise ships set up camp.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »
Wait..What? I live close to Montreal and the Canadians go to Cuba all the time for fun in the sun. I guess I'm ignorant. I thought it was illegal for Americans to go? Do you know if there is any sort of sup scene there?

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »
Any American can travel to Cuba as long as they fly there from countries like Mexico and Canada. They just don't get their passports stamped when in Cuba. You can "officially" travel there as long as it's part of some group tour ok'd by the US State Department.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
Slow down cowboys. It's all well and good for our President to get on tv and say the US is going to normalize relations with Cuba, but the embargo is a congressional one. The only ones who can reverse it are Congress…you know, the Republican controlled (as of 2015) House and Senate that are huge fans of Obama's use of executive order et al. It doesn't tale a crystal ball to see that they're going to try to block this.

Of course, Americans have been going to Cuba for years. If you've got the money and the clout you can go the Jay-Z/Beyonce route and apply for special visa. Or, for the less flush with cash and status, fly to either Canada or Mexico first and take a connecting flight. Provided you're not smuggling or spying, Cuban customs will allow you to pass through without stamping your passport.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
What will change rather quickly is return of banking. Meaning you will be able to use your debit and credit cards while visiting the island. Right now you have to travel there with a wad of cash if you only have accounts in the U.S.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
Hmm.... So is it legal? When I return to the U.S and they ask me the purpose of my trip to Canada and I say I went to Cuba, there won't be a problem?

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
Hmm.... So is it legal? When I return to the U.S and they ask me the purpose of my trip to Canada and I say I went to Cuba, there won't be a problem?

As long as you don't consider hefty fines and spending a few days with US Customs a problem.  :P
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Nice Legacy move by obozo-brother in law went there a few times but not to surf-looks like a good time if you could swing it.
The Castro bros have no intentions on losing grip on power and due to less Venezuelan and Russian money they are getting desperate.
BS move by the prez. However if he sends me as part of a SUP trip to help normalize i guess i could be bought...
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »
Before Las Vegas there was Havana.  I'm happy to see things move towards normalization with them.  We have much more connections with much worse countries than Cuba.  What better way to slowly bring them into the fold than to allow US tourism.  The Castros, especially Fidel, aren't long for this world.  Things will change for the better.

You know there's great surf.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »

As long as you don't consider hefty fines and spending a few days with US Customs a problem.  :P

Yes, under the current government regulations, going to Cuba is fine as long as you stay within some pretty narrow and stupid boundaries. The U.S., in their wisdom of trade embargos for U.S. tourists,  does not allow you to spend money there that would be of benefit to the Cuban citizens. If you tell them you spent a dollar or two buying a cigar or some rum, you are in violation of some stringent federal laws. 

Every other citizen of the free world is allow to be a tourist in Cuba, but those of us from the county of the free and the brave can not go there freely. Maybe Obama will change that, even if the Republicans think it is wrong.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
Dang!  There is good surf in Cuba!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lhgJX2U8zE
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 04:25:14 AM »
s
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:39:30 AM by SUPladomi »

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 04:34:40 AM »
Damn you Zooport! I couldn't hack those conditions but it still makes me salivate. Now I'm totally depressed as some quick research seems to indicate that going to Cuba for a sup trip is not legal. There are specific activities (cultural exchange, research, religious and others) that allow you to apply for a license. These activities pretty much need to be set up with organizations in order to receive a license.

I hear great stories from Canadians who travel there super cheap. Hanging out at the beach at a decent all inclusive resort for a week can be under a grand, including flight!  Maybe at some point we will have that option as well. Although a tidal wave of Americans would increase demand.

Several of my friend have gone there on surf trips and have come back telling me what a great experience it has been.

Tom, I would love to get more information about your friends' trips. Have they gone and just avoided having their passport stamped?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:40:45 AM by SUPladomi »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM